• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2014 lunocet

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeyhatfork

leaf game novice
May 31, 2007
saw this on Facebook today the list intro list price 399.00 looks cool anyone tested it know if its any good or anything comparable to dol- fin i notice its being marketed as a hydro touring product not a competitive free diving product, maybe to avoid some of the critiques the older model got

Attachments

• LUNO-PERFECT-copy1.jpg
    LUNO-PERFECT-copy1.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 258
...anyone tested it know if its any good or anything comparable to dol- fin ...

I have not even seen a review of the previous version. This one looks similar in concept though.

From the original Lunocet concept, "its shape and angle, both of which are modeled with scientific precision on a dolphin's tail"; it looks like Ted finally copied the dolphin's tail (after 6 design versions and 4 product releases).

Maybe the mermaid girls will want to use it in their swimming costumes. :) It looks so biological!

Seriously though... From the looks of it, I don't think it is likely to be a step in the wrong direction from the 2013 Lunocet. Copying nature can be a good thing when done right.

Last edited:
yeah i assumed there was a reason he doesnt use the word free diving anywhere in the advertising

FYI: From what I read on Ciamillo's website, the price is $599, not $399.

Looking good was never the issue that needed addressing with the loonyset.

wonder if this intro offer is somehow a way to get the fin beta tested...
looks amazing though and hope it works this time around. looks like it should. but only water testing will tell the truth.
that offer sure looks tempting, but actual info will be even more tempting.
maybe one should make it's way here on DB for all to hear about. but then again, maybe Ted does not want to repeat the past...

that offer sure looks tempting...
Keep in mind the Lunocet requires you to separately acquire shoes to mount to it. Even at the tempting introductory sale price of $399, it is actually going to cost much more than that before you can start using the fin.

shoes and the whole mounting idea kills all the beauty of original concept. What was the point of streamlining the hydrofoil if shoes and straps have hydrodynamics of a house brick. I don't see much changed since the first model, I didn't like it then, I am really pessimistic now. Also, if someone is trying to learn from nature, why dolfin, why not tuna for example? Would be so much easier to fabricate with carbon rods and directional fabric layering.

Keep in mind the Lunocet requires you to separately acquire shoes to mount to it. Even at the tempting introductory sale price of $399, it is actually going to cost much more than that before you can start using the fin.
very true indeed. if the fin actually ended up working, buying the shoes separately would be a great advantage.
like in cycling where the shoes are a very important component in power transfer, the same applies to fining. it's not just a case of "here this shoe size should fit you"...
imagine if a road bike was sold with shoes ? sounds funny doesn't it ? they don't even come with pedals as shoe/ pedal compatibility is also very important. plus many other factors.
anyway, to cut a long story short. feet are so different that one has to find the shoe that fits and works for them and the given purpose.
even after proper fitting, there are so many other design parameters that come into play. even more so, when these shoes are intended to work in sea water, for which they where never designed in the first place.
in the end, what's the point of having a high tech fin and just use a random shoe ?
that is also one the main reasons i never bought your fin, because there was no option to buy it without the shoes.

While the video doesn't show us much, it proves one thing... It's alive!

The accel on the 2nd pass actually looks ok... Other than that, can't tell much from the :01 sec of fin action in the clip.

The rubber spring in the actuated lever looks potentially promising (assuming its been sorted correctly).

We will see!

Even if this fin isn't what sets the next DYN WR (I'd doubt the hydrodynamics of the shoes are built for WR DYN performances), I still hope that this works well for casual / recreational freediving, pool use and spearfishing.

My monofin is clunky / fragile, comfortable (bearable) for only up to an hr and large for travel. I'd like a "monofin" for comfortable / practical
use and easier travel. If I can use it in the pool, bonus! And if it's rubber, maybe I'd get away with it for UWR and UWH for fun! :D

Call me a little girl, but I like the shape! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
imagine if a road bike was sold with shoes ? sounds funny doesn't it ? they don't even come with pedals as shoe/ pedal compatibility is also very important. plus many other factors.

In this analogy, I sell the pedal and shoe together. This is to assure that these two parts interface together correctly. As you correctly observe, "shoe/ pedal compatibility is also very important". Major headache if you buy the parts separately and your feet fit the shoe, but the shoe does not fit the interface. Shoes come in many sizes to accommodate many people. The fin's support frame (or the pedal in this analogy) only comes with one interface. I think I chose the more robust solution. And although I discourage people from buying the X-20 without shoes, I can and have made exceptions. So, don't let that be your holdup.

In this analogy, I sell the pedal and shoe together. This is to assure that these two parts interface together correctly. As you correctly observe, "shoe/ pedal compatibility is also very important". Major headache if you buy the parts separately and your feet fit the shoe, but the shoe does not fit the interface. Shoes come in many sizes to accommodate many people. The fin's support frame (or the pedal in this analogy) only comes with one interface. I think I chose the more robust solution. And although I discourage people from buying the X-20 without shoes, I can and have made exceptions. So, don't let that be your holdup.

thank you for your input. yes, i do agree with many of your points.
also thank you for being more opened to selling a fin without shoes.
if i remember correctly, it was not the case when we had spoken in the past.
my only slight issue would then be the hole patterns. i guess i could drill new ones, but the alignment must be precise and i would be afraid to maybe get it wrong and ruin the base plates.
my road shoes (and all road shoes actually, besides completely entry level ones) work on the three hole interface, whereas your fin is drilled for four hole mounting (typically used for mtb or touring type shoes).

While the video doesn't show us much, it proves one thing... It's alive!

Blue Springs fish chase - YouTube

The accel on the 2nd pass actually looks ok... Other than that, can't tell much from the :01 sec of fin action in the clip.

The rubber spring in the actuated lever looks potentially promising (assuming its been sorted correctly).

We will see!

Even if this fin isn't what sets the next DYN WR (I'd doubt the hydrodynamics of the shoes are built for WR DYN performances), I still hope that this works well for casual / recreational freediving, pool use and spearfishing.

My monofin is clunky / fragile, comfortable (bearable) for only up to an hr and large for travel. I'd like a "monofin" for comfortable / practical
use and easier travel. If I can use it in the pool, bonus! And if it's rubber, maybe I'd get away with it for UWR and UWH for fun! :D

Call me a little girl, but I like the shape! :D

nice video, but yeah, pity the fin is not visible at work...
i guess we'll have to wait till someone takes the plunge and see what the feedback is.
you're not alone at being a sucker for the fin's esthetics : )

Found another video of the fin being used:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting that. By the very short views of the fin it looks like it actually works ! We still need to hear the opinion of somebody with monofin experience after testing it, but it looks hopeful...

It's all distorted with slow motion! You can't tell how well (or poorly) it works.

It reminds me of how they would infer that Steve Austin (The Six Million Dollar Man) was running really fast by using slow motion playback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT