• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

7mm open cell in the range of 15-20 Celsius

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Gerola

Jun 6, 2014
Hi and respect to the whole Community!

I am wondering how does it feel to wear a 7mm opencell custom made wetsuit, when the sea temperature is about 15-20 celsius degrees.
If you have experience with this kind of circumstances, please share it!
Opinions about heiwa hydro reppellent are welcome too.

My "story":
Beside some snorkeling, some yt videos and of course Big Blue I haven'got a clue about freediving. Sadly I turned to this astonishing sport when reading about Nicholas Mevoli's death last November.
Since then I have read a lot about the history and heroes of freediving, have found the forum and reading it all the time.

I started practicing apnea, dry and dynamics. Gained some confidence, made pb 54 m DNF. Experienced some further exercises. Have done my CMAS**.

Right now I am just about to order a wetsuit.

I live in Norway at the westcoast, where sea temperatures should peak in the range 15 to 20 celsius during summer. Diving in the wintertime surely needs a 7mm opencell suit, but wouldn't it be too hot at those relativly warm degrees. In this case an other alternativ showes up: to buy a 5mm suit and one 2-3 mm to have under when needs and use it in the pool. I remember Eric Fattah stated 3+3 is more then 6.

I undertand that cold tolerance is individual and I know that I tend to get cold practicing dnf in speedos after 15 minutes in 30 C.

Thank you for reading it and
To you who made the effort to learn the language: excuse me for bad english

Roland

ok no respons here. i bought this suit and tried it few times. for me at 20 Co see temprature is absolutly ok. :)

Just saw this (wasn't a member when you first posted it)

Which suit did you go for?

I normally use a 3 mm in summer since I get too hot in my old 7mm (southern coast of Norway). Plan on getting a custom 5 mm this fall.

I went for the 7mm open cell custom made suit. I am happy with it. During this warm summer 5mm would be the perfect choice but with some tricks (not wearing gloves, let water in, undo the beavertail) it works fine.

No. This is heiwa soft density open cell inside and hydroreppelent outside. It is tight but stretchy. I wouldn't say it's restrictive but 5mm surely more comfortable. Keep in mind: i am a beginner.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT