• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

A kayak dive with a gun... LOL

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

myfish

Apr 29, 2007
Funny as I'd planned to dive the polespear again but, there was a hefty swell building, I had just few meters of vis in 9 - 12 meters of water and the fish, well, the fish weren't coming in.

So I reached for the gun, a sporasub SK40.

To be honest, I haven't dived a gun for ages, sometime early in 2013 if I recall so this felt weird. There wasn't much time to dive and over the low, the swells were lifting the kayak that is only on a 10 meter floatline and 3 meter bungy (will have to change this)...

At one time, the Condor went by, i'd dived down using my usual deeper dive routine of drawing the kayak next to me in the wind to slacken the floatline, then DIVE so the kayak isn't being towed across the surface as I drop down. I was sat on the deck in about 11 meters and felt myself get lifted, yanked up. The wake from the condor ferry had picked up my kayak and thrown it toward the reef. Thankfully, I have ensured the connection between myself and the kayak is STRONG. In this area, it has to be as there is no swim back to shore from this locale.

Anyhow, it made a change ... I can still hit the fish with a gun... LOL

The mullet shot here was one of 2 and 3 pollack also made for curry and fish pie filling. This shot was dead eye...

All I can say is, using a pole spear for a season and a bit exclusively has made me feel pretty good with a gun and, all that band holding at depth with the polespear has added about 20 seconds to my normal aspetto time without me even noticing it.

Last edited:
Good one mate, heading 2 Cuba in a week hopefully I can squeeze in before the cold front hits the island and I get skunked.

Amazing that a shot like that does not kill the fish!
Of course commercial long liners hook eels through the eyes & they stay alive for hours ... bit gross really :(

Yes, amazing really. TBH, I've always had a natural shot in the head area so I don't question it, or really practice. I get my fair share of stone shots which is great of course. Why make them suffer. I feel we have a duty almost, to make good solid shots or don't pull the trigger.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT