• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Airbalete front sight adjust?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mcs

Aug 28, 2014
Hello! I'm new to this forum and to pneumatic spearguns. Have learned much, thanks for the resource. It helped me decide to try an Airbalete 80, which just arrived.

I've unpacked the gun and am bummed to see that the front sight is out of alignment -- it's several degrees off to the right. How can I adjust without breaking things? Have searched here and find no reference.

The front sight is part of a ring-shaped plastic molding that includes the forward line anchor. It encircles the muzzle very tightly. I've tried tapping with a plastic punch & hammer, but no results. Before I tap any harder I should ask if anyone has a suggestion. Is that plastic ring anchored somehow, or is it just a friction fit? This is not like tapping a dovetailed iron sight on a rifle, or is it...

I have some good penetrating lubricants that might help.

Last resort is to return the gun and ask for another, but that involves packing & shipping.

Thanks!
Michael

To clarify: I don't mean 'adjust' a little bit for aim. I mean the front sight is angled incorrectly off to the right. It's not vertical at 12:00 position like it should be. Needs to rotate about 1/4 inch.

You will probably need to let all the air out of the gun as it will be loaded up by the nose cone pushing on it from the rear. If it is still too tight to move then you will need to undo the muzzle slightly in order to move it as the parts on either side function as a clamp. Once in the correct orientation you then tighten the muzzle back up and put pressure back in the gun.

Thanks Pete. To loosen the muzzle I would use something like a punch that fits snugly through the small 2 or 3 mm hole near muzzle tip, correct? At which point I could carry on and make sure the thing has fresh oil in it, see what makes it tick...

Not the first date I had in mind with this gun, but your posts about how to take apart pneumatics compelled me to buy one. Careful what you wish for.

I would just fix the sight alignment, leave the exploring until another time as your gun will still have a warranty period, if it is new. As for unscrewing the muzzle I don't know the exact details for that gun, but you want to turn the muzzle body, so the relief ports that are under the plastic shutter are where you need to insert a rod, such as a Phillips head screwdriver blade. Only a half turn of the muzzle should be enough, push the piston back first so you can insert the screwdriver blade through opposing ports.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT