• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[B]Norfolk 2013[/B]

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

norfolknovice

Apr 30, 2013
Hello all..

So I think it's about time Norfolk was put on the spearfishing map!!

Went out this morning to cley beach for a shore dive to check sea conditions and vis. Unfortunately vis was just terrible (2-3 inches) but sea was flat and calm and the sun was shining so I stayed out for an hour and did some swimming/diving practise.

There was a fisherman on the shore, after a little chat I found out they are catching alot of bass and flatfish at the min. I'm going to take the dinghy out on my next trip and get out past the murky shoreline see if I can find a few of these bass. Norfolk has some beautiful shorelines with chalk reefs less than 100m out, once I start getting a few fish I know people will start coming to enjoy our fishing here.

That's all I have to say at the min, hopefully my next post will include a picture of some fish!!

Some of us are listening to you keep posting let us know how you get on .are there any more of you down over there?await pictures of your catches ? Good luck I may be down your way working in a few weeks !

Thanks denian,
Its good to hear people are listening. The weather is due to turn a bit better over the next few days so hopefully I will be able to get out and have a go.. I have a few locations planned but not yet explored, unfortunately I'm on my own here on my spearfishing adventure, but I'm slowly getting my old shore fishing mate interested. Norfolk is well known for its flatfish bass and mackerel, I've caught hundreds on rod and line over the last few years so I know eventually il start getting something.. If I get a few over the next few weeks I will keep everybody updated and if you get a bit of time after work we could meet and have a go, it would be nice to meet a fellow spearfisher at some point!!

where abouts are you it s a big plot of land ?you look to have some possible spots piers n big long sea defences ?

I live right on the coast, near a place called wells next the sea.. There are a few wrecks within ten miles at cley and weybourne(these are our best rod fishing beaches too), a natural chalk reef runs 20 miles along the coast. also cromer pier is ment to be good fishing when the vis is good enough.. Plenty to go at:)

I watched a documentary about the chalk reef - people are hoping to turn it into a conservation zone. The structure of the chalk makes it the perfect home for crabs and lobsters - they filmed a section where literally every crack was jammed with large brown crabs, a tempting spot to fish! They also showed another spot where the bass we swimming within feet of the camera man - great viz as well! Would be very interested to hear how you get on if you spear there!

Now walking to todays destination, it's beautiful morning here so fingers crossed for good vis and plenty of fish!!!

Had a brilliant first days spearfishing, finally got my first fish, I think it's a dab but I may be corrected. Vis was about a meter so not perfect conditions for a newbie. I must have seen over 10 flatfish over the 3 hours I was out, missed about 6 and got 1 which I'm more than happy about. I'm now totally hooked and can't wait to get out again!! Didn't see any other species (apart from a seal which wouldn't leave me alone!!) all In all, Norfolk spearfishing is looking promising:)

Attachments

• 121bzw7.jpg
    121bzw7.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 190
Reactions: scallywag
well done with the fish! silver next .flatys can be very fast!.....They vapourise in front of you eyes !

Thanks denian,

I know it's not no record breaker but I'm well chuffed.. Yeah them flats are fast!! I can't wait to see a bass, maybe if the seal had left me alone I might have done.. Heard today they are catching loads at the min over 2.5lb, hopefully the weather will stay on our side, need a few days of calm weather, seems it don't take much to make our waters murky killing the vis..

My partner's family have a little holiday home just down the coast in Bacton. I'll be heading there for a week this summer so let me know if you ever head out that way.
I took my gear there autumn last year, but the waves just got bigger and bigger, and browner and browner!
Normally looks like poor vis close to shore, maybe I need to take the paddleboard and head out a bit further.
Does anyone know how far the reef extends? South of Cromer?

Hey penhandle,
I'll be heading up and down the coast this year looking for the good spots, I know on the right day vis is very good here, you can look down off cromer pier and see the bottom which is 5-10 meters deep.I know the reef runs 20 miles from cley towards Bacton and ranges from 100 to 500m off the shore. I'll be taking the dinghy out soon to have a try, but like you say the waves here make vis very poor so conditions have got to be perfect. I'll be up for a meet up when your down for sure.

If your on a pc here is a couple of pdfs to look at talking about the reef, I think it will be an amazing place to dive.

http://www.seasearcheast.org.uk/Chalk Reef report 2010 Issue 1 150DPI.pdf

http://www.northseawildlife.org.uk/userfiles/File/NWT chalk booklet final(1).pdf

Cheers for that, looks really worth an explore. Loads of useful snippets for planning a dive location

The partner's holiday home is literally 10m from the beach in Bacton so it is a bit of a shame the reef seems to die out just before that. Will have to get dropped off a bit further north and go for a search. Let's hope there are some light SW winds mid-august.

Jim

Off out for a dip tomorrow, wind has been wrong for about a week now creating swells and poor vis.. All I can do is try and hope.. A few mates have been catching bass dogfish flats and even cod on rod and line, so the fishe are about.. If vis is bad il go in the channel and try for a few flats.. Will report back tomorrow with good news(hopefully)..

Better get some sleep, 5o'clock rise..

Went out yesterday, walked 2 miles my location only to remember I had forgot something...MY WEIGHT BELT!!! Vis was probably the best I've seen yet 1-2m, see a few big flats all missed due to me floating around uselessly.. going to try get out today for another go with some weights:)

Reactions: bobandsausage
Its crap without a weight belt you just end up floating Round like a cork bit like forgetting your fins !Have a check list and check it every time you go!Let us know how you get on.

Went out yesterday, walked 2 miles my location only to remember I had forgot something...MY WEIGHT BELT!!! Vis was probably the best I've seen yet 1-2m, see a few big flats all missed due to me floating around uselessly.. going to try get out today for another go with some weights:)

Just clocked your posts dude - good luck and keep them coming! Also your tales of crap viz have shamed me into getting in later (Sussex) despite all the bloom.

Sorry haven't posted for a few days, currently on holiday with the misses and kid so spearfishing is a no no for a week.. I did get out at the start of the week and had what seems to be "good" vis for Norfolk( 1 whole meter).. I had my best diving session though and getting really hooked, kept on pushing myself, before I knew it I was 5-7 meters down..See a couple of sizable flats but not before they see me so went home empty handed, they're catching tons off the beach's at the min so I really want to get out..

Hey bobandsausage.. Glad I prompted you to get in, they say you gotta be in it to win it!!:) the vis sucks on our coastline, just got to wait for them perfect weather conditions, I only get the chance to spear a couple of Times a week at the max so with that and our bad conditions here there's probably only5-10 days in a year that will be good tor fishing.. I'll be watching see how you get on, best of luck..

Any luck have you managed to get out at all?take it you like westerlys or flat calm hot weather !

Hi denian,

Going out first thing tomorrow, been on holiday the past week so no chance to spear.. Yeah been waiting for the winds to turn for me, at the min it's perfect the wind is coming straight off the land making the sea and swells calm hopefully making the vis good. Haven't really had any good wind since I've started spearfishing, hopefully il have a good report to give tomorrow. I know the fish are here as fishing reports are going mad along our coast, so fingers crossed!!

You been out at all?? Haven't had chance to flick through forum today..

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT