• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bunch of beginner's Questions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

_Jake_

Aug 13, 2014
I have a lot of questions before I can start with actual freediving.

In my introduction I already said that I'm totally new to freediving and I'm willing to learn as much as possible in a short time.

I have read the sticky here, but there are still a lot of questions I have to ask.

How do I actually start of?

My routine so far for training breath hold was swimming 10 lengths (25 metres) under water. Here I set some minor challenges to myself, to keep it challening. For example, 2 lengths as slow as possible, then 2 lengths with only 1 breath up ( no time between these two, except 1 breath ) and then something else. You get the picture...
Afterwards I would do some STA ( without knowing the correct term back then ;) ), my times are around 2 minutes, but I never pushed further than the moment when the diaphragm contractions came (another term I learnt here ).

I can imagine that I have to learn a lot on correct pressure handling, since I'm not good at that...

What would be a 'normal' training day for a beginner? Should I immediately start with the training tables and only do them until I can do them without any problems?

What gear is necessary to have at any training moment ( keep in mind I only train in a pool )?

I now go in with normal swimming goggles and a shorts, nothing special. I'm planning on buying the Omer Alien mask, since I can easily get them in a store near. As for the other equipment I have totally no idea whether it is already necessary.

Where can I find good information on handling pressure?

I do have some problems with pressure, even at a depth of 4 metres... which I can imagine isn't normal, since a freediver should be able to go far more deeper ( 50+ metres ).

I tried swallowing when I descend, it helps, but not much, my ears still hurt.

Any information is really welcome, every detail counts for me, since I'm a beginner.

Thanks in advance!

As for starting off, you need to learn how to equalize, close your mouth and close your nose with one hand and start pushing air slowly through your closed nose and you will feel your ears are popping, do this while you are setting on your computer now, try going for the notorious 4m and you repeat you will find the pain in your ears are fading.

This is the easiest way to equalize up to 10 meters for me. Try getting a long plastic freediving fins to save your energy/breath. I use Seac S1000 fins which are pretty hard but I like going hardcore :D.

Reactions: _Jake_
I tried what you told me to do yesterday and it works*. Not that good that my ears pop immediately, but my ears don't hurt anymore, so some more practice will take me further I guess.

As for the fins, I've been looking around and I've discovered that there're modular fins too, which you can adjust and switch blades on. Are such fins any good, or should I be looking for anything else? I want to be able to switch blades when I can afford the more expensive carbon blades.

The ones in particular that I've been looking for was the Cressi gara modular. Those cost 90 euros here and seem quite good. Any recommendations on other fins?

Cressi gara fins are great, you won't regret buying them. Try the plastic 3000's and beat the hell out of them, they will last and are great fins. You don't need carbon fins, I have never bothered with them personally. As to the rest of your training, as long as you're doing it with a competent buddy, meaning one who knows exactly what to do in case of emergency, you seem to be doing ok. Experiment, try everything, evaluate all your results. And above all, take it easy, and never forget to enjoy being underwater and don't push yourself too often.

Reactions: _Jake_
If you're gonna go with the Cressi Gara fins, try and figure out which stiffness to go for though. They do them in 3 levels, 2000 are the stiffest ones, 3000 the softest and I think Modular (with default blades) are in between.

Depending on how heavy or strong you are, the 3000s may be a bit too soft.

If or when you decide you want to go for Carbon blades, I suspect you'll also want to get another set of footpockets to go along with them though, so wouldn't worry too much about if your plastic fins have replaceable blades.

Thank you very much! These are the answers I was hoping to get here. The buddy however, is hard to find, but I don't do any STA as long as I haven't found one yet. I do some DNF, but I don't really push it. I just exercise breathing techniques ( no purging, no packing and so on ), just great ways to relax as much as possible.

I'll try to get in touch with a freedive instructor, recommended by another member here at the forum. I hope I can see some real progress then.

Thanks again!

As for equalization, DO learn Frenzel: a lot of people find it difficult to learn, but once you can do it, it's great: you don't need as much force/effort as you need with Valsalva. Oh, and I'm from Belguim too, desperately seeking freediving education and a club... (West-Vlaanderen...)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT