• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Can you Eat barracuda's and live?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
island_sands said:
lol! i don't think Sedate is quite the marrying type.. in that sense anyway rofl
rofl

Killer's me
i hate only eating cuda at breakfast but i like a few fish/es at breakfast :D
Mean while if you do not like eating cuda(cook,grill, boiled..etc)..i suggest you pickled cuda or tuna ..delicius ...taste it and decide..
you need a 2xcuda each 4-5kgs or each5-6kg's Big bonito(palamita,small tuna) ..

anyway ..try and let's talk about later...

need:
3 kg salt , tin(medium), tooth stick, broken marble or a big stone , that's all

test:
jimdoe2you said:
We have a rule of thumb here in south Florida, and it does sounds goofy but it works. We throw the cuda on the dock, and if in a short period of time flys land on it, you can eat it. If flys don't land on it, it's got ciguatera. This only works with the small cudas, the large ones always have it.
Jim
:)
very goog idea! rofl

preparation:
you slice them 3 or 4
using tooth stick you must remove very carryfully all bloods from bone marrow(important!)
all flesh side/s over and over turn on salt(not skin)
put them into tin very carefully touching each other very softly :D
Fill till the 3/4 tin by cuda slice/palamita slice
Put the stone or marble on them
cover the tap
let the tin waits 20 days in a coll place(no sunhine)
take a slice one 20 days later and let the slice 5 minute in a vinager to get away the salt!
knife/fork/ table..taste eat!

For breakfast:
you need parrot fish/es(small size) or anchovy fish/es (small size)
need:
1/4 kg fishes(1 person)
salt
lemon
olive oil
paprika(black)

preparation:

clean inside of them
put on a flat table one by one
throw out parika and salt on them
pour mixture (lemon and oil) till the cover all fishes
let them stay 2 days in refrigarate (cool area)
serve at breakfast..

Last edited:
Reactions: Freediver81
island_sands said:
here in Dubai, now and again, i eat kallepache. its the farsi word for the brains, stomach and etc from a goat. yum....
It is same in Turkish too Sara.
Kellepaça is very delicious but not good for cholesterol,etc.
Kelle means head or boiled head of the sheep,and paça means calves foot,neats food ,of course boiled:) ,and the soup is made of from the these material and it is a traditional soup for Turkey.

Reactions: island_sands
Sedate in charge!
rofl rofl

Attachments

• 73287954844072afaebf86.gif
    73287954844072afaebf86.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 318
Reactions: island_sands
Hi everybody!

Ask the locals about the cudas, besides the ciguatera test kit nothing beats the local wisdom on what to eat. And also I have to write a few words on behalf of parrotfish... DELICIOUS, :t EXQUISIT, JUICY, CLEAN, TASTY... AND FUNNY TO CATCH! Give it a try!!!!!

You can definitely eat barricuda from the southern caribbean. It is served and eaten in Aruba and is FANTASTIC FISH.......so special preparations are needed to prepare it.......the barricuda in and around Florida has some kind of disease from the dead and infected corals around Florida......I lived in Aruba from 92-99 and ate barricuda weekly....STILL MY FAVORITE fish, but here in Michigan, impossible to get.......so on my twice a year trip back to Aruba I eat it 3-4 times in a one week period.......hope you get the chance to taste it....it is phenonmenial !

about the rules, i remember my dad caught a very big one in the bahamas about 7 years ago (trollling). when he asked if it could be cooked, they said, its probably poisonous since no else hooked a fish in the same area...made no sense o me at the time, but i guess local knowledge is the most reliable

Marwan;

With the Bahamas being in the Atlantic Ocean and not the Caribbean Sea, and with it's proximity to Florida (where the reef is poisoned with the goo that infects barricudas), I would be very hesitant to eat the barricuda from there (Bahamas)......Aruba where I lived is another 900 or so miles south (directly off the coast of Venezuela) and for the Dutch ABC's (Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao) the barricuda is 100 % safe to eat and prefered over most types of fish, with the exception of Grouper and Wahoo. ........BUT if you are ever in doubt use a local's opinion, or as I learned eating fish from all over different islands.....cut the fish head or tail off the fish and lay it on the ground....if ants don't flock to it and start eating it, then it's poisonous.......if ants come to it, your safe !

eat it :D if u feel sick after, well, u chose a bad fish to eat ;)

seems that most large reef fish will get ciguatera, we eat large 'cuda here in barbados all the time with no problems, but some people say dont eat the massive groupers (what? we have massive grouper in barbados? where!) ive only caught one large grouper and believe me, it was yummy.. i dont think ciguatera is a problem here, or if it is, it definately isnt a common problem.

needlefish = one of the better tasting fish out there.. i think the green color of the flesh when its being filleted turns people off of trying it, but wow.. with a bit of lime, amazing :)

parrotfish = yummy, and superfun to hunt, wanna learn to stalk a big fish? stalk parrotfish in barbados where they are regularly hunted.

I live in the middle keys Long Key and have lived in the keys for a long time. Cuda if over a 2' people don't eat. I never take the chance, "why" there are many other good eating fish here.
Becka

Absolutely agree with you Becka. Why would anybody take chances with their health is simply beyond me. I mean, unless you are starving I don't know why would you eat something that could make you very ill, or even kill you.

I went to the Bahamas recently and all the cudas that were < 3ft we ate. I don't think it matters how you cook it, because the ciguatera is in the meat itself. I don't know anyone that has got ciguatera, so it doesn't really bother me that I'm taking a chance.

Here in Qatar we get the big barracuda species (Sphyraena barracuda) and some of those can grow as large as 6feet or more. They are regularly fished and available in the market, and I guess cigarreta poisoning isn't much of a concern to the population here that consume them, even with those large ones. I guess it depends on the places where those fish are being gathered.

I think it all depends on if there are reef or not. I would never spear a barracuda near reefs, I would only eat them if I caught them in the deep blue.

I think it all depends on if there are reef or not. I would never spear a barracuda near reefs, I would only eat them if I caught them in the deep blue.

but u know, here a big deal of barracudas are caught in proximity of reefs... others are taken from open blue... I don't think here that makes a big difference, though im gonna be more careful next time with big barracudas...

Everywhere you go everyone has there version of which one should be poison or not. Some say ocean barra will poison you some say inside the reef barra will poison.

All I know if catch him and he fightening like hell he health and good to eat and always throw piece in Ants nest, That works for me

ive lived in south florida all my life and cuda aren't eaten here. The toxin is naturally occuring on the reef and present in all species in the food chain. Barracuda happen to be the apex predator on the reef so they concentrate the toxin the most, but large jacks, groupers and snappers all have the possibility of having it. However smaller barracudas found in the bay or inner reefs are edible.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT