• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cape Vidal tips please

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MozSpearer

Nov 19, 2013
Hi all.

I'm heading on a spearing trip to Cape Vidal south africa next saturday. Has anybody diven there before? Any tips on places to go? I won't be able to go on a boat so only shorediving will do. I made my own flasher with foil stapled between pieces of coke bottle plastic and cd's.

Please, any advice or shorediving tips appreciated. Or even safety tips.

THanks in advance ;)

I dived there many times, not the best place to shore dive.
Thank you a lot for replying. I'm planning to go to mission rocks and just check out what fish i can find in the bay and behind the rocks. I'd just like to say your spearguns rock. I've got a 1000 tomahawk and got a pickhandle barracuda this Jan at inhaca island from shore.

What do you suggest I do since we dont have a boat. I've seen some of your videos at cape vidal. And those are some amazing fish! Thank you.

The point at Cape Vidal can work but the current can be very strong so you end up a long way down the coast with poor exit options if the sea is rough. To dive there it is best by boat. If you need to contact someone who could help, phone Koos Jordaan on 0834041188 he sometimes runs a small charter.

Good luck,

Rob.

Reactions: MozSpearer
Thanks a lot. I'll watch that current. Or even drift down to Meidobaai(not sure of spelling, about 1km south) and hike. back. Will see what weather and vis is like. Thank you a lot for your input Mr. Allen. I'll let you know what fish I catch. Maybe one day we'll go spearfishing together ;).

Regards~
Mozspearer

You are welcome. Most time the current is strong north to south, you can't swim against it. If I was to shore dive I'd walk a few km north and then jump in, drifting back to the Vidal bay. Anywhere north of the bay is easy to exit. South is the bay you refer to, we called it Maiden bay, and is the only safe exit just south. It then can get bad for a long way.

Thank you. I'll definetly try walking North a few km's. I saw on google earth some rocks, might hold some fish. If I see the weather is good, I'll drift down with my dad and my brother to Maiden Bay. These tips really help a lot. I'm sure I'll get some good fish.

Sorry for all these questions, what fish can I shoot at Vidal. I read no reef fish can be shot North from the beacon around Maiden bay. WHat fish are classified as reef fish? Sorry for all questions.

Yes, only game fish. You can take reef fish south of Maiden bay but can’t come back into the reserve with them. The rocks you see are shallow, holds few fish. Better to dive deeper over the same with a flasher. Try 15m plus.

Ok will try that. My flasher is about 6m long. Will that do? I got a wetsuit and weights so will be good. Do pompano count as gamefish? And grunter? Not sure so thought I'd ask an expert. From my understanding rockcod are reef fish.

So prime targets for me will be couta, natal snoek and kingfish and shad.

THis helps so much MR. Allen. I can't thank you enough

Pompano and grunter are not on the list of game fish. Cuta, Snoek, shad, Queen fish and all the king fish are ok. A flasher at 6m would be fine.

I really appreciate this. I'll also leave the rockcod alone. I hope I get close enought to the fish to shoot them!!! I've only got a 1000 RA... We'll see how it goes. I'll post a thread after I come back of my success.

Have a nice day. Regards

I don't think I'll be able to get one(dad says 1m is enough). Maybe I'll get lucky with 6-7m vis. We'll see how things go. Thanks for the advice again. I will get a 1.3m gun as soon as I can. Maybe next year when I finish with school. Have a nice day

Maybe I could put an extra 2m on my gun for longer range? I put new rubber on in Jan(16mm) so it might still have enough oompf to penetrate at longer range? Don't know if it'll work, but the spear will probably drop some bit. I don't see any other option though.

Maybe you could advise?

Hi MozSpearer. Did you come right at vidal? I live in Richards Bay and shore dive at vidal often. Your best bet is a drift from mission rocks southwards and then get out when you get to the sandy/beach patch. You can also walk north from mission rocks and then drift south again. Only problem with shore diving at vidal is that it is very dependent on the swell size as you need to go in and out over the ledges which can get dodgy in big swell. Diving south of vidal main beach has always been a waste of time for me. You can also go straight out at the main beach and maybe get a kingy or something. Also dodgy though as me a shout when you need a dive buddy in vidal again I'm close and always keen for a dive.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Sorry.. bloody phone.. wanted to say diving at the main beach can be a bit dodgy as there are usually lots of boats around.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Hi there. Thanx for asking. I didn't dive at the main beach but did go to mission rocks. We walked up north(having in mind the usual N-S current), but swell was massive so was in and out. But when we came out we were 500m N of where we started. LOL...

Another attempt was to drift from Maiden Bay to the beacon just south of Vidal. Didn't even see 1 stupid fish!!!! AArgh. To top it the southern wind came from nowhere and the sea was turned into a cauldron of foam! And even worse, we had to swim in against a very wide riptide! Eish, epic failure. Sucks not to have had a boat to get to Leven Point.

There was a boat with spearos that headed to Leven Point 3 days in a row and had good success. Not much of a spearing trip!

I prefer diving Inhaca Island from shore, despite current, as it is a good depth for me and reasonable size eating fish too. And I know the current terrain etc.

Sorry for late reply, was super busy with school after the vacation. Thanx for asking tho. Hopefully my next trip is better. How's the diving in Richards Bay? What fish did you manage to get at Cape vidal? Do you know where the Cape Vidal Bay ends officially as the noticeboard says no spearfishing in bay

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT