• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

cold water wetsuit help

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

onebreath280

Aug 5, 2012
I am kayak diving in Alaska the water temp here is 38*-52* and I have been having wetsuit issues. Right now I have a 7mm open cell (splitcell) farmer john style wetsuit it does fit well but I find the wetsuit to be a bit constricting and feel like I am fighting the suit the entire time I am paddling and diving and consequently my down time is suffering. Does anyone have any experence diving with a 5mm open cell suit in cold water.

I'm wearing an 8.5 mm top and 7 mm bottom, both open cell. The only eal alternative I know of is the Imersion Ice Trek, which has thinner side panels to improving breathing.
I've known a couple of divers up here in 5 mm suits, but that was only at the pfeak of summer, with water up to 60F

Margus are you saying im fat? lol. No the suit fits prety well and keeps me very warm. I was just wondering if a thinner suit would still keep me warm but allow more range of motion. I attribute most of the success of the suit keeping me warm to the open cell design and not having any of the cold water getting in.

Last edited:
No, I'm not saying you're fat :D. I't just that I have had the same experience myself, when I used slightly small wetsuit. While it kept me very warm, it didn't let me breathe right and it also restricted blood flow to limbs- my feet got tired really quick.
OR: your wetsuit is old and neoprene has gone stiff?

I own a 5mm open cell, farmer john + hooded top. I dive in it year round. 52F degrees at the surface is a pretty normal winter surface temp for us in off the Los Angeles coast. If I am healthy and have a good breakfast, I am good for 60-90 minutes in that suit, maybe a bit longer if I am diving in heavy current or just doing incredibly active dives. I have dove much longer than that but would not recommend it. Feet and hands are cold/numb much sooner. I have good cold water tolerance but do not think I could safely go much longer in even colder water (38!?!?) while wearing a 5mm. Again, it would depend a great deal on whether fighting a current and constantly active or kneeling on the bottom under the thermocline for extended periods, but that is my 2 cents. Most of my friends wear 7mm in the winter here and I will probably get a 7mm next winter.

By the way, if it feels constricting, that is fairly normal for a thick freediving wetsuit, provided it isn't so tight that it is choking you with the hood up.

I agree with growingupninja in that I have had more issues keeping my hands and feet warm than body. I used my mako 5mm open cell suit (farmer john w/ hood attached) last year from 65*F down to 43*F. Was using it for freediving/spearfishing and shallow scuba. I was in for up to an hour at a time at temps below 50. Below 50*F, hands and feet would get cold after 20min and start to loose dexterity after 45min. Low 50's, I was in for as long as 3 hours...only took a quick surface swim to warm up at that temp. I thought the 5mm open cell suit was warm enough if I was mostly at the surface. Using it for scuba at 45+ft made it compress and my extremities would get cold. I was pretty active prior to and during all these dives. The pre activity created a bit of a sweat layer even though air temps were in the 40's or 50's...I think the pre warming and continuous activity keep the blood flowing and me warm.
I don't have experience using a 7mm, so I can't compare warmth or flexibility but I really enjoy the 5mm for its versatility, flex, and warmth. Can't say it would be appropriate for your diving; I think that would depend a lot on your cold tolerance and time in the water. And whether you know what the water temps are prior to suiting up. Wouldn't plan on using it below 45*F for more than an hour, Or in a situation where I didn't have an easy exit from the water if needed (close to shore or a boat).

In cold water diving (50* or colder) I eat lots if carbs and fats to "stoke the fire" in my belly! A trail mix of nuts, raisins an chocolate is a favorite! :D

Hands and feet require 5-6mm socks and 3-finger mitts.

No, I'm not saying you're fat :D. I't just that I have had the same experience myself, when I used slightly small wetsuit. While it kept me very warm, it didn't let me breathe right and it also restricted blood flow to limbs- my feet got tired really quick.

I think youre right about the suit being too tight I was paying particular attention to the restriction around my chest yesterday and I think it is squeezing my chest when I inhale and I'm using a lot of energy to strech the wetsuit when I take a deep breath.

Yeah! I hit a thermocline at 50 ft of 36* yesterday, I love the thermometer on the Aeris F-10 but damn if it doesnt make it feel colder LOL.

I am thinking about picking up the yazbeck freedive hunter wetsuit and have heard that they have a bigger chest in the cut of the wetsuit. I have prety broad shoulders and think that this is the reason the suit is a little tight in the chest. Anyone wearing the yazbeck 7mm?

In cold water diving (50* or colder) I eat lots if carbs and fats to "stoke the fire" in my belly! A trail mix of nuts, raisins an chocolate is a favorite! :D

I was having a lot of trouble with cold hands but bought a pair of XS scuba "dryfive" gloves from the local scuba shop and they are great my hands dont get cold or wet at all now. A few of the helocopter rescue swimmers at my work swear by them too.

Edit: Be warned these gloves take a while to put on and it can be a pain when it is in the mid 20*'s F and the wind is blowing.

Last edited:
I think youre right about the suit being too tight I was paying particular attention to the restriction around my chest yesterday and I think it is squeezing my chest when I inhale and I'm using a lot of energy to strech the wetsuit when I take a deep breath.

Yeah! I hit a thermocline at 50 ft of 36* yesterday, I love the thermometer on the Aeris F-10 but damn if it doesnt make it feel colder LOL.

I am thinking about picking up the yazbeck freedive hunter wetsuit and have heard that they have a bigger chest in the cut of the wetsuit. I have prety broad shoulders and think that this is the reason the suit is a little tight in the chest. Anyone wearing the yazbeck 7mm?

I tried a Yazbek 5mm this winter for an hour. To be fair it was probably a smidge too tight for me (too tight in the neck) but what bothered me about it was the way the hood was constructed--very tight, heavy, lots of face covered. Serious seal on the face. So even after making ear holes, descending past 30' I started feeling hood pressure on my ears and I was nervous about turning my head. My Omer on the other hand seals no where near as tight--turn my head and the seal breaks and a little water trickles in, so never any feeling like I am getting hood squeeze.

But a lot of my friends own Yazbeks and are very happy with them; nothing wrong with suit I tried, I just didnt like the design of the hood.

If you order online from a big seller I think you might be able to mix and match tops and bottoms. Again though, it is normal for a thick freedive suit to keep you from getting as big a breath as you would get sans suit.

Kinda funny you say eat more carbs and Margus says I need to go on a diet rofl.

Today I dove with the farmer john down, shoulder straps around my waist just to see how it would be It was great I wasnt cold at all and I could breathe. I think I an going to cut the upper chest part of the bottoms off and just use like a high waist wetsuit. I also measured my chest with and without the farmer john on it added 4.5 inches to the girth of my chest. problem solved...

I have been shopping for suits in the meantime and have about talked myself into the salvimar twinpix smooth skin it looks like a really cool suit.

Okay if the suit is compressing you 4.5 inches then yes it is too tight.. sorry.. my 5mm cuts my max inhalation down by maybe 5%-10% but that isnt much.

winter in alaska I can be in the water about an hour with 5mm mittens, I recommend them over fingered gloves for sure. They are much warmer and function almost like webbed gloves (greatly improved mobility). Only my pointer finger gets cold (it is all by its lonesome). I have 5mm split toe boots (I thought it would help my crooked toe) not a good idea as my toes are all alone and get cold. If the water is below freezing my forhead gets dangerously cold (need face coverage). my 7mm suit is fine. I have a hard time breathing in it too, but I think I will modify it, thing is getting worn out anyways..

Reactions: Clean_mullet
I use a 5 mil down to 38f - but I change my diving style - long surface swims with a mono fin to get warm. I think your setup is good - a thicker suit is bound to be more constricting. I didn't read through the whole thread - but if your suit is off the shelf - you may want to consider ordering a custom suit from Eliosub. Thickest I've had from them is 6 mil - but it was perfect. For my hands I have 5 mil 3 finger mitts from them. I wear these out - not tucked into the suit - and my hands NEVER get cold. I used to tuck them in and wear wool gloves - even when they stayed dry they were not as warm as out. Feet are different - but I'm using a mono fin.

if you're looking for a better fit toronto freedive club sells a custom 5mm for under $300 CAD, I believe the suits are made at aqualand, the water over there is pretty dang chilly.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT