• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

'D' weight mold

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

superdude171

Apr 23, 2009
Hi all, think this is my first ever thread so here goes.

I have been attempting to make my own 'D' type weights but as I have very limited access to tools to make a decent mold. I have used polly filla which actually produced a decent weight but the mold had to be destroyed to remove the weight. The same happened with concrete mold that I made. Obviously it will take me ages to keep re making each mold to make weights. So my question is does anyone have any ideas on how to create a mold with very limited tools (bear in mind I melted the lead in a pan on the barbecue) that can be used over and over again, or failing that does anyone have a 'D' weight mold that I could borrow? Would be happy to pay postage etc. Thanks in advance.

Greg.

Speak to Scott Wilson....
You can use hard wood for a limited amount of weights!

Cheers foxfish, ill go buy a hammer nails wood and saw and see what I. I will also try making a two part mold from polly filla as hopefully this will stop me having to break the mold apart. If it works ill post up a step by step or something so others can give it a crack.

Greg.

ive been using a block of clay. take an existing weight, hammer it into the clay then pull it out. you then have to do some fixing since as you pull it out it rips it a little. melt your lead and start pouring. be aware that the moisture in the clay will turn to steam and you have it bubbling pretty hard. just dont do it on the kitchen bench.:duh
then take a hammer and tap the little bubble marks out of the weight once you have it out of the mold. the mold breaks a little but you can just make another in 5 min. good if your just making 4 weights but im about to weld up a mold for making some weights for friends as well.

make your weight in clay/plasticine, make sure it has generous release angles and put it in a box that either has angled sides or that you don't mind breaking (tupperware would be ideal) and pour some common or garden plaster of paris over it. Job done :) only thing to watch out for is letting it dry very thoroughly so you don't get fun little explody pockets when the water is vaporised by the hot lead :) a week in a warm dry place would do it, or a few hours in an oven at it's lowest setting if you are impatient.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT