• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Does this mean we should stop hunting bass?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
And also, I caught my first bass(!) and it was 38cm . I checked online and apparently there are two minimum size regs set!? one says 36cm and the other 41cm so i am hovering somewhere between the two and am not sure which one to follow?

Every bass killed effects the stocks, just take what you will eat yourself.
I target bass around 3.5-4.5lb as they make the best eating in my opinion although beggars cant always be choosers so I will take bigger fish.
Form my perspective, spearfishing is about being selective, you don't have to kill every bass you see.

And also, I caught my first bass(!) and it was 38cm . I checked online and apparently there are two minimum size regs set!? one says 36cm and the other 41cm so i am hovering somewhere between the two and am not sure which one to follow?
Follow the highest one of course! Set a good example for others. BTW DeeperBlue forum members have suggested that a higher standard be adopted in the past, 45cm if I recall correctly - so use that one in the future. Although it is significantly higher, it is still a pretty small fish.

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
BTW The number of fishing caught, selectively, by spearing (which is sustainable) is so tiny that we have no significant impact IMHO - especially as long we fish responsibly and maintain standards (see above). Also, like anglers, spearos have a vested interest in preserving fish stocks and the environments they need to survive - and so take an interest in it & speak out when necessary. Compared to "Joe & Jane Public", we are far more aware of the marine environment and the threats to it.

On the other hand, IMHO, commercial fishing consumes vast volumes of fish, often indiscriminately & sometimes destructively, and is both harmful and unsustainable as it exists now. Personally, I am also worried about the recent increase in mackerel quotas, because they are such a vital part of the food web for many other species. Overfishing them will impact many other species. It is like farming but without the farmer's work & contribution: reaping the harvest without contributing positively to the environment that produces it.

Follow the highest one of course! Set a good example for others. BTW DeeperBlue forum members have suggested that a higher standard be adopted in the past, 45cm if I recall correctly - so use that one in the future. Although it is significantly higher, it is still a pretty small fish.

Small fish! thats the biggest thing I've caught. And my first bass , couldn't quite believed i''d actually got one and seemed like a big fish to me so i just took him home and got him under the grill. Now that i have that under my belt i will approach with a little more poise and calm when i next see a bass . I am glad at least that my first bass was not an illegal one , that would be a shame .

Rather than just reducing the quotas, a good look at the processes which are limiting sea bass is no doubt needed. Is it just overfishing, or is it habitat destruction & water quality issues as well?

I think its perfectly acceptable for the recreational catch to be left out of any further restrictions in the total allowable catch. Recreational fishers value add to the resource, sometimes as much 100X the commercial value, due to the higher investment just to "participate" & then higher public benefits returned from the catch. The economic, social & public health benefits from recreational fishing can not simply be measured against the value of commercial fishing using the volume/tonnage of the catch as the baseline. Simply put, the recreational catch, even if it represents only a third of the commercial catch, is worth many many times more.

Cheers Sharkey

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT