• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

foldspear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

slinginsteel

Aug 26, 2005
does anyone have one? they looked nice and it seemed like a good idea- if so - how do you like it?
thanks

I use something similar (JBL travel spear) when I go to the Bahamas. I actually prefer it to a hawaiian sling.

Ted

groupergproup.jpg

I used a hand spear for two years before I went to a gun so i like using them and this fold spear looks pretty cool , I like the way it folds up very small but I would be concerned that the folding sections would either wear out or reduce the spears kinetic energy, plus its pretty pricey for a hand spear, but I still want one!

ted thats a nice fish you got there with your JBL, what is that?

That JBL travel spear breaks into 3, 2 ft sections. Jon (dive bud) has a spear almost exactly like that fold spear. Go over to the Freshwater Spearing section and look for the thread called "carp". You'll see his spear being unfriendly to one of those swimming garbage cans. I've used his, and prefer mine. As expected, he's used mine, and prefers his.

Jons has a rougher surface. Better for gripping with a hand or nylon glove. However, the smoother JBL surface lends itself much better to a rubber palmed glove (in my case, kayaking gloves). It will stick like glue, making it very easy to hold the spear "cocked". Additionally, the first 2-foot section (that attaches to the spear point) is tapered - smaller diameter front, larger back. This secures the spear that much more when in the "cocked" position. Both spears have threaded individual pieces that lock securely into one another.

Jon's spear is much heavier as well; almost competely solid. I thought this would lend more momentum to his spear, giving it more punching power. But, the JBL fills with water, and uses the weight of that water to add to the mass of the spear. I'm not sure JBL even mentions this on their website. And those who buy the spear are frequently disappointed when the find out it "leaks". If it didn't fill up with water, killing large fish (not to mention aiming the damn thing) would be much more difficult.

yugyug, The fish in the photo is a Nassau (sp?) Grouper. Taken from about 50 feet, off the top (then on the side, then from underneath) a large coral head in the Bahamas this spring. They stay relatively small for a grouper. I think Connor said the record was 40 lbs or so. They have a nice light/dark pattern on their skin, but the fish in the photo had been dead for a few minutes and lost that pigmentation by the time we got the camera out.

Ted

Last edited:
To answer a few of the questions about the Foldspear, it's hollow as well, because like unirdna pointed out the lighter spear travels faster.(Nice grouper,also!) But the Foldspear is not like the one that your friend has, because the Foldspear is not a "screw apart" type of spear. Unlike the ones that are threaded together, the Foldspear does not have to be put together before going in the water, it's always together! The wear on shock cord from folding and unfolding after years of use is a concern, which is why we changed our original design to make the cord easily and cheaply replaceable by the user. And while the Foldspear price is comparable to other travel pole spears, with the Foldspear you also get a thigh holster to carry the spear in while diving, making it a great backup as well as primary spear!

Last edited:
I have been using this spear for about a year now. It folds down to a little over one foot. Its great if you travel a lot, or as a spare spear to keep with you on the boat, kayak, going to the beach...

The spear is built well, and seems like it will last many years. There is a textured grip on the shaft, which proves very advantageous. The spear can me put together in a matter of seconds, and can even be carried in the included sheath on your side, to be taken out when you need it.

The spear is held together by tension in the bungee cord inside the shaft. When a big fish is on, it can separate, thus acting as like a slip-tip allowing you to fight your fish without it breaking off.

On a negative side, the spear has a fairly thick diameter. Coupled with the incredibly underpowered band (even when compared to other polespears) this makes for a very slow spear, so you will need to replace the band. Also this spear is very loud. If you hold onto the band when shooting, the spear separates slightly at the end of the shot, and then snaps back on itself...making a metal in metal "banging" noise.

In my opinion, this is a great product if you travel, need a backup spear, or don't have much storage space. If you are looking to get into spearfishing, and are just looking for a spear, you can get a decent speargun for little more than the price of this polespear which costs more than $80.

I know this is an old thread, but we've just come out with a new and improved version of the Foldspear and I wanted to update the info here. The new Foldspear is a lot stronger with an increased wall thickness, better machining, closer tolerances on the inserts so the spear has less flex making it more accurate, and the holster straps have been improved and switched to a velcro adjustment for increased comfort. The standard band that's supplied with the spear has also been made larger, while a 1/2" band is also still available. The Foldspear is now available in 3 sizes, 4 foot for hunting lionfish, standard 6 foot, and also 8 foot length. The price is only a little higher, but this is a much nicer version.

Hi all :)

anybody tried a FoldSpear lately? I'm shopping for a new polespear and this looks handy but pricey, be nice to hear from somebody who's used the newer model.

minno

Thanx M8 :) I ended up getting a traveler from Mako Spearguns, next time though I'll get one of these.

minno

The mako will be more "stable" once a fish is shot.

The foldspear tends to "separate" once a fish starts really thrashing if it's strong enough... But it still works great.

Mako is less expensive, but the foldspear has an AWESOME holster and can travel easier due to its shorter length.

Both great choices and slightly different uses.

Just buy both! :D

"Just buy both! :D"

well, I tried and I tried, but I just can't argue with that :) , now, where's my cc...

stay safe

minno

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT