• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving Kayak Set-up

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Aquajim

Sep 6, 2014
Hi there

I am planning to purchase a sea Kayak with the intention of using it as a mode of transport to diving spots and a base from which to set up for freediving training in the sea (2 people). I wanted to ask if anybody has any experience or tips they could share. My initial thoughts on equipment were to get the following:

- Ocean Cuarto or Malibu 2 (appx 4m long 1m wide, sit on top kayak)

- Freediving Buoy (something like this: http://www.apneautic.com/en/product/3-buoy-standard/ )

- Freediving Line, Weight for the buoy & Bottom Plate

My main concern is space on the kayak with all the gear and the best freedive set-up for the buoy, rope, & kayak

Thanks
Jim

I'd look into the Santa Cruz raptor and use it AS my buoy!

I'm getting a Hobie Revolution... But the raptor would be my paddle alternative.

It's a damn SUV, yet still slick through the water.

I would use a large loop of rope an put a doubled-over length of it through the pump-hole in the rear deck and then use a carabiner to attach the weight / plate and dive-line to the loop of rope sticking through the hole.

You can carry a second person out on the rear deck.

Cool design. :D

Great ideas guys.. ha yeah the kaya is a beast! Lots of space though. I was thinking about using the kayak as a buoy though I was a bit worried about banging my head on the way up :wacky:.. I often dive with a noseclip so my vision isnt great

after a couple weeks of shopping for kayaks and canoes I decided to build my own dive boat, won't save me any money, but it'll be perfect for what I wanna do.

62 pounds seems awfully heavy for a 'yak

minno

69 lbs / 31 Kg on their website - thats insanely heavy!
but it is an SUV of a yak...
I use an Ocean Venus 11 which is only 19kg and is reasonably quick through the water. I use it mainly for spearfishing though so towing it and diving down, rather than line-diving.
You could easily make an arm sticking out the back to take a dive line from?

Looks like a cool yak you have there! Yeah the ocean quatro is pretty big.. though I do need it to be for 2 people. Great idea about the arm!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT