• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Get with the programe U.K

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

arrowloopboy

Jul 14, 2012
How come the U.K hasn't yet given Bass the protection they deserve ,as we have in Ireland ,i.e 2 Bass a day limit (over 40cm) ,and a closed season between May 15th to June 15th,and a ban on the sale of these Bass.

Well ...................... why ,what's the lame excuse ???

Don't you think we have anough red tape ,rules ,restrictions ,laws as it is?When the spearfishing community's total take is miniscule in comparison to the country's fishing fleets by -catch in one day ,one small boat probibly !I think most of us would be lucky to see two bass never mind shoot them!....Put things in perspective !

Reactions: speerolee
Cant see the point myself. my average would be no where near even one bass a trip.

I would take up golf instead if I could only take 2 bass per dive...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Too much red tape,can't see the point ,would take up golf instead ,I can now see very clearly why theirs no restrictions on the killing of bass in the u.k. .
These attitudes show a total lack of respect for you quarry lads,a change of attitude won't matter when their all gone.

Reactions: artiz and foxfish
The regulations in Ireland make feck all difference anyway as Ireland is a corrupt third world banana republic with no enforcement.
Irish bass stocks appear to be less healthy than England or Wales, so what do you think your regulations actually achieve?

Reactions: denian
Seems like someone touched a raw nerve there.. as for saying the commercial ban has had no effect on irish bass stocks is a very flippant comment. I totally agree it could be regulated better and some people practice illegal netting, selling bass through back doors etc but things would be far worse with no regulation. Unless groups such as anglers, spearos get behind conservation measures like this then its all down hill from here, but feck it eh take what you can while its still there.

Reactions: jks
'conservation' can make a difference, however it appears that the 'opinion' of a few is that the current conservation methods in Ireland are perhaps ineffective. just because it's in place doesn't mean that it actually make a difference....so why should the UK follow suit.
personally I feel that pleasure anglers and spearo's should regulate themselves as it is on it's own a sustainable and discriminating way of putting food upon the table.
one thing I would agree on is a closed season...as I very well know myself thst large spawn stuffed females start to show from now and after taking a double figure bass only to find it stuffed full of roe is a little..............well, let's just say I didn't feel the euphoria that one would mormally feel holding such a magnificant fish.

Reactions: artiz
? On what basis do you form the opinion that the ban is totally ineffective. Obviously there will always be some people be it commercial or pleasure anglers who ignore bans but the vast majority abide by the law.
You cannot legally sell bass commercially so obviously this effects legitimate commercial boats who dont want to risk confiscation and heavy fines. I am also well aware of the french trawlers catches around ireland.

on what basis do you form an opinion that it is effective?
my opinion was purely based on the ban in relation to 'spearo's' as this us after all a spearfishing forum.
Thus my opinion that limiting spearo's to just 2 bass a day limit is ineffective.
my other opinion that not all restrictions upon fishing etc..work, I only have to lay on my sofa and watch Hughs fish fight on my prerecorded sky box to form an opinion.

and as for flippant comments; well the title and first comment on this thread??
but hey...I now have golf clubs.

Think of how niche a sport Spearfishing is. We merely scratch the surface on the bass caught in the UK, Spearfishing would be the last thing the government would want to look at to reduce the amount of bass taken.

I know boys who out nets across estuaries and catch more bass in 1 day than I catch all year... Let's start looking at things like that first!!?

Reactions: jks
I'm not talking about solely targeting the spearfishing, i'm talking about a conservation policy that effects everyone who fishes for bass be it commercial or pleasure.
Does'nt matter whether you take 2 fish or 10 fish, we all contribute to the pressure

Let the big boys take care of the boats trawling millions of bass a year as aposed to the spearos catching hundreds.

/thread

You cant just blame boats, if you tally up how many bass are taken by spearos and anglers each year it would be a fair number

well this question is better off to a fishing forum then yes? As Spearfishers take sweet FA compared to other methods. You realise your asking one of the lowest success rate methods of fishing to agree to a 2 bass a day limit??. Whilst most of us don't even see 2 bass a day, I really think your pissing in the wind trying to get an answer like that from spearfishers in the UK.

The real reason your asking it, is because Ireland is pissed off it has rules on the limit and the UK doesn't. Although you wouldn't admit that, I don't think I'm far off.

Reactions: speerolee
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT