• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Good or bad fish?!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Salehthefish

Free Diver
Jul 6, 2008
I have catch one fish, but honestly i did not like how it looks like and need to know if it is good to eat or not if some one can help would appreciate it...

Note that this fish usually lives on sand usually sitting and not moving...

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 223
  • untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 209
  • untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 214
Reactions: spaghetti
Could it be a sort of Trachinus Vipera? Doesn't look exactly the same but your pictures brought me to mind this one (maybe all those sand fish all look similar at first glance). Well if it's a trachinus vipera, it's both good and bad. Delicate, tasty meat, but beware the poisonous and painful stings on the dorsal fin (but the toxine is thermolabile and is neutralized by hot water)...
Google Image Search
PA231103.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, so weaver is the english name for this family of fish? In italian it's tracina. They're the nightmare of seaside mothers: lots of children walk on the spikes while playing in the water along the beach line, and children cry very LOUD when it happens.
We have several species of tracina here, all differing mainly by the position of spikes/stings: dragon weaver, spike weaver, spider weaver and viper weaver.
This one looks more like the Viper type for the absence of spikes on the forehead.

Eatingwise, it's in no case a grill/bbq fish, but rather a soup fish: while boiling in the pot the toxine is destroyed and the tasty meat is spread in the broth to enhance the flavour of the soup...

Reactions: apneaboy
hi guys! It could also be a lizardfish (synodus saurus)=no poisonous fins! Good for a soup!

hey thanks 4 all the answers i think i will just throw it i am not familiar with soup fish!!! I know all the fish that i can eat :blackeye I have catch this fish in UAE in ajman area actually it came to me by itself first time my spear was busy with another fish the second time it was free :D

Thanks again for the help...

why would you shoot a fish that you dont know if its good to eat? this time it turns out that you can cook it, but if you couldnt?

Worrying about whether or not it's safe to eat a fish that isn't even eating size... right... rofl

Baird after this post i never shoot this fish!!!

Broseidon Think the size is fine for its type:D U know sardines how big they become :p

Sorry mate... but a conscious spearo doesnt just shoot anything.. be selective.. have some knowledge about your target fish then hunt. Respect the Sea and its enviroment!

Its sad to just kill a fish and then just "throw" it away.

Im not trying to be an asshole about this... but things like this makes my blood boil.

Happy hunting

Wassim
Hayaari Sub

Be selective.. have some knowledge about your target fish then hunt. Respect the Sea and its enviroment!

Absolutely 100% right as a concept: that's something to bear in mind always.

But this thread dates back to one year and a half ago, definitely an old thread.

A long time has gone by and, while it's always worth to remind the selectivity concept, I think there's no need to embarass Saleh anymore for this old mistake after such a long time. We all make mistakes at some point. But Saleh is a great guy and has learned it.

Hi Speero and thanks for your useful input and as mentioned by Spaghetti this post was way back ago where i were hardly know how to grab speargun(I agree what i did that time was horrible mistake and i do not advice anyone to do the same). Now Adays i catch fish as this:
1- Be sure that i will shoot what i eat and i eat what i shoot.
2- Fish should be within the legal size and type.
3- When i catch fish i kill it directly then hang it in the sling.

Spaghetti Thanks for explaining this issue and good it was useful for others to learn from this subject.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT