• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2012

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jersey boys low water expedition and a nice lobster

Attachments

• 100_0036.jpg
    100_0036.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 100_0037.jpg
    100_0037.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_0039.jpg
    100_0039.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 145
Quick question - anyone used a TomTom 730 ? Got a map of Western Europe on it but doesn't appear to have Guernsey roads on it (but does show the outline). Any help ?! Cheers - Ed

Very nice if you're a polar bear more like!

Ed, seriously now, why on earth would you need a GPS to work over here!?

Thanks to Rouge, Spirit and AM for the advice on cockles :)
in the end we managed ONE cockle down at Grand Havre and eventually accepted that we didnt know what we were doing. The dog enjoyed the run tho! :)
We went to cobo and found some huge razor clams, enough for 6 people for dinner!

andy you must have been deep to find 8 degrees? sure its warmer than that?
Mike those Lobbies look the business!

today we enjoyed watching the fireworks at Pembroke...

Quick question - anyone used a TomTom 730 ? Got a map of Western Europe on it but doesn't appear to have Guernsey roads on it (but does show the outline). Any help ?! Cheers - Ed

Ed, I have been down this route when looking to upload some bike routes, Garmin and Tomtom claim to have Guernsey maps, but in reality they only cover some major roads and postcodes are incorrect. I aksed a taxi driver about it and he said the only accurate option is digimap for £120 a year [or buy it once and dont update]. Apparently you can download the digimap data into the plotter.

I just managed an hour in the water, very choppy with a swell running :(
lots of mullet around, some big, but i couldnt stay still enough on the bottom to get a shot! hard work and short holds.

At least u saw some fish! We r planning a short dive 2 mos, expecting poor vis and nil fish, I am asking myself why................insanity I suppose!

Me and Chef ventured into the Jersey SW corner, vis was reasonable at about 12feet, would have been much better had the sun been out. Saw nothing worth taking. In terms of fish saw huge shoals of small pollack. No silver fish seen. Holes were empty. Did see some decent scoops left by some very decent plaice, but despite popping up and down in 40foot for about an hour couldn't find the fish! Despite no fish, we thoroughly enjoyed the dive.

Nice one mike, shame no fish, but next time... :)

I managed an hour in again, saw the same mullets, same swell, superb vis! In again tonight...

I was standing on a pontoon today in Beaucette marina, I reckon I could see down 30+ plus.

Easy 6m vis, like a swimming pool :)
Didnt get in tonite, spectating football instead :(

So getting back to the fish in...

I was thinking about a two day specimen hunt but with the emphasise on prime edible size fish rather than specimen weight.

So for instance a pollock would be 3lb because that is a nice eating size or plaice could be 1.5lb because that is just perfect eating size.
The competitors would get 1 point for every species caught regardless of size once over the set limit.
So this is a competition to catch the most number of prime eating fish, one fish of each species listed, the winner is the one with the largest number of different species.
In the event of a draw the fish nearest the set prime edible weight wins?
IE bass target weight 3.5lb (perfect size for two nice portion size fillets) so if two bass are in contention the one nearest to 3.5lb wins?
PS Mike, we can run the biggest silver fish competition over two days as well, what do you think?

Last edited:
Mart,

Sound good to me. I like the idea of an overnight board, and think that hunting only fish of best eating size, rather than the biggest, and seeking variety is a great and ethicaly acceptable idea. Look fwd to finding out what species of fish are eligible and what specimen weights will apply. One fish of each or perhaps more than one? Either way, I think this is a hell of a challenge, to hunt different good quality edible fish, over two days sounds like a real test, especially for visitors! Like u say there is potential to run two comps and include a silver fish aspect, perhaps also reward the biggest bass, biggest mullet, biggest bream, and heaviest catch of of these? so run this second comp along side? Apnea dive shop in Jersey sponsor our local annual silver fish comp and are offering to put up a few extra incentives for the a gnsy silver fish.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT