• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2012

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Those pesky spider crabs have learnt to write now !They are so romantic.!L.o.l.. The real reason for this post was I've pick up a v small boat and with you lot living on a nice island will know /have greater knowledge than me.Could you recommend bits of kit I need -vhf-hand held or fixed - fish finder?GPS ?? Flares any thoughts very much welcome I'm just putting new wheel bearings on the trailer so I can get it down the Llyn in two weeks.

When you say a v small boat?
Anyway you need all the basic kit..small pack of handheld flares, handheld radio is ok, anchor with short chain & plenty of rope, mobile phone is definitely handy to take with you & if it is a v small boat oars would be good two.
The most likely danger is motor failure so be prepared & get to know your motor.

attach.gif
Hope this comes up this is my little baby on the river a seabird 600 with a honda 9.9 motor got it of a very good friend he use it with his three children on the river twin hull bouyancey filled.unsinkable yer they said that about the titanic:inlove any name or make of kit you all use would be helpfull .I have so far new fule tank n quick release fittings, anker n chain ,life jacket, igloo marine cool box ,more likely for food than fish who knows? colapesable paddlesx2,.im in need of a dive buddy too!..Its the electronics im really intrested in do fishfinder have gps markers on them?Have any off you been out today?

Attachments

• ianmobpics 042.jpg
    ianmobpics 042.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 136
Denian, i take a set of coastal flares, a vhf and a decent knife [in addition to any fillet or dive knife]. I also take the mobile if i remember lol...

In for a dive today, not many fish, but i did share the sea with a large seal! not sure who was most spooked lol.

looks like we posted at the same time :) i use a garmin combi ff and gps, it works well at low speeds. I have an older version of one of these: http://www.marinesuperstore.com/posit/shop/index.php?selectedpartno=99243081++++++++++++
with a 7 Ah motor cycle battery direct onto the power leads.
ps nice boat :)

Last edited:
Dont know what the sea conditions are like up here at the mo temps are low the weather changing every hour had minus temps this morn then hail then snow and now blue sky hope its calm n sunny for march .going to try some spots for flatys maybe at dusk .

Jonny, any pics of the seal? where did you see him?
I have only swam with females but they can be pretty big too!

Mart, no pics of the seal, it could have been a female for all i know... it was big and in my face lol.
in at the Gouffre again as it was sheltered from the swell.
vis was terrible.

Viz on the East coast is awesome at the moment about 10m yesterday. Loads of fish on the cement wreck, never seen so many pollack, there were thousands, many around 3-5lb. I have just come back from Havelet and it is crystal clear tonight, looked very inviting, but I didn't have time for a dip.

We are about to venture off for a short mission on Jsy North coast, not expecting 10m vis! How deep is the wreck? Can it be free dived?

I think it is about 25m or so. I have never really seen any decent pollack spearfishing but then again I certainly cannot freedive anywhere near that depth. I think I might go for a dive behind fort le merchant on the weekend. I have only been there once but it was an early season dive and crystal clear with a slow left to right tide. Could manage nice long deep dives letting the current carry you. I didnt see any fish but there are loads of gullies and enormous rocks to explore and was a really nice dive. Hopefully the vis will be as good. Anyone have weekend plans?

I think it is about 25m or so. I have never really seen any decent pollack spearfishing but then again I certainly cannot freedive anywhere near that depth. I think I might go for a dive behind fort le merchant on the weekend. I have only been there once but it was an early season dive and crystal clear with a slow left to right tide. Could manage nice long deep dives letting the current carry you. I didnt see any fish but there are loads of gullies and enormous rocks to explore and was a really nice dive. Hopefully the vis will be as good. Anyone have weekend plans?

yep ;) from that description i might have to try the fort :) sounds like you had a good dive there.
defo keen to get in somewhere... Yeti had a good bass last March and the water was way colder last year i think.
Had a day in Sark yesterday [working] but very nice to see the little island again :)

We are about to venture off for a short mission on Jsy North coast, not expecting 10m vis! How deep is the wreck? Can it be free dived?

Top is at 26m, bottom 32m at slack water. I have seen a video of someone freediving it, also saw one of someone spearfishing on it.

Well I better cross that one off my list! Any shallower wrecks that might hold decent pollack?

Just had a look at that on you tube, load of pout and a few congers on the vid. Also an interseting story that it ran aground on a reef off Gnsy . It was carrying a cargo of wine caskets which washed up on Vazon bay. Gnsy folk decided to rescue the wine and there were of drunkeness and debauchery for months afterwards!

Just had a look at that on you tube, load of pout and a few congers on the vid. Also an interseting story that it ran aground on a reef off Gnsy . It was carrying a cargo of wine caskets which washed up on Vazon bay. Gnsy folk decided to rescue the wine and there were of drunkeness and debauchery for months afterwards!

Yeah people buried barrels in their gardens ( allegedly!) :friday

Oops. Fort Le Marchant**

I can't wait to get in the water. Sacked of the smoking a month ago too. Hoping it will help a bit. Perhaps not too much in dive time initially but playing sport it really seems to help with recovery time.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT