• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Gym workouts

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I'm doing less oxygen training. Try with tour partner ride on bike and breath hold at the same time one minute, do some workouts like push weight with legs on breathold. It will do muscle training like in long distance freediving.

Wysłane z mojego iPhone przez Tapatalk

Reactions: Divewiz.Hurghada
Thanks pj2000! What you guys say about doing large number of repetitions 15-20 in exercises?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I am not a fan of mixing gym practice and breathhold attempts. To me it makes more sense to seperate both, so my body and mind learn to relax, whenever breathholding it involved. Holding my breath during muscle exercise would be the opposite of this. Maybe it is a question of mental preferences.
Besides that I believe kettlebell training (hard style) might be useful for freediving. It strengthens especially the core muscles, where much of the power for finning needs to come from. And it puts an emphasis on flexibility as it includes exercises similar to yoga poses. Currently I am using it to prepare for the season and already feel pretty strong in the water :)

Agree kettlebells are great, and are perfect for most sports as they are dynamic and functional exercises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pingshui can you describe your workout? What exercises you do? How many workouts a week?

Well, I actually train a lot, but not only for freediving. A normal week looks like this:
2x underwater rugby (good co2 training ;) )
2x running (winter) or road bike (summer)
2x kettlebell, yoga or other workouts for core stability and flexibility

In busy weeks I might skip one or two of those.

As for the kettlebell workout I concentrate on the turkish get-up, the swing and squats. And of course the hard style plank and the stretches.

Reactions: miltrip
Suggest do squat, bench barbell press, dumbbell bench fly and leg curls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you guys think about Tabata method? I use it with my body weight only but in advanced mode kettlebell for more weight or specyfic workout.

Wysłane z mojego iPhone przez Tapatalk

i generally train twice a day.. one weight session (static and dynamic weights in a kind of 4 exercise circuit set, so still gets the heart pumping), then a cardio session ( underwater hockey, MMA, football, swimming)

I will try following: 2 sessions of light jogging and intervals biking. 2 sessions swimming crawl and underwater 25 meter intervals. 1 session of gym weight workout using 15-20 repetitions in every exercise.

I agree with the other posters about the benefits of kettlebells; they're a great training tool. I'll typically do 2-3 strength training sessions a week, each lasting about an hour; 3 sets of 8-12 reps. I do supersets, as follows:

1. Barbell bench press + deadlifts
2. kettlebell military press + kettlebell rows
3. Barbell squats + kettlebell swing
4. Tricep press + dumbbell curls
5. Planks for core strength

For cardio, I swim 3-4 days a week; mostly interval work and sprinting.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Reactions: Hasan sünear
I have not done much breathholdtraining the past months. I concentrated on cardio, especially long rides on my roadbike. I did statics last week and was surprised to see my static increase from 4:30 to 5:30. I guess my resting heartrate has decreased a lot.

Besides two pool session a week I joined Pilates lessions (hope to get less rigid) and do some cardio excercises (2 times a week) in the gym plus some jogging and cycling. I noticed that this lowered my heart rate significantly (from 65-70 at rest to less than 60 now..). My statics went somewhere above 5 min, without pushing to heavy discomfort :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT