• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello from an Italian in North Queensland :)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

alessandro

Apr 22, 2014
Hi,
I'm an Italian marine biologist and currently living in Townsville north australia.. I will probably leave the country next year and im looking for a place around the world where to work/freedive/spearfish...

Am I asking too much? Hope to meet interesting people in here with my same passions

Thanks!

That sounds like interesting work. Do you specialize in a particular field of biology? There are lots of studies happening on and near the California coast. You could also try Hawaii. There are worse places to be :)

Welcome to the forums, by the way.

Hi BatRay thank you!

Yes I work with bacteria in sea turtles at the moment.. but I don't know if everything will be renewed next year and if the visa expires I'll have to leave..
:) I'm looking around those places... Makes me dream.. Here living is good but coastal waters are shallow, murky and full of biting life.. not ideal for freedive training..

Where are you from?
Cheers

I'm from California. There are marine research facilities on the coast, including the lab and research vessel MBARI, which operates out of Moss Landing in Monterey Bay. There are also inland fisheries, and those often consist of repetitive monitoring and surveys.

If you are into marine biology then a subtropical island like St Helena could be quite a good move if you can land a job.
The trick would be to secure a two/three year project working alongside the Marine Conservation Team while checking out the place to see if you would like to stay a bit longer.
Not everybody can cope with the isolation.

Huge groups of Whale Sharks (over thirty this year around a boat this season in one go), resident dolphins, tasty fish, warmish water (vary between 21 - 25 Celsius can get cold in winter, down to 18 at its worst) with fairly good viz most of the time (could be less than 10m close in during spring-summer time) but have been better than 20m for the last couple of months (could even see the bottom in 45m deep water recently).
Not bad for freediving (not that I know much about freediving). The harbour (Jamestown) is in a permanent lea, sheltered from the south east trade winds. So diving guaranteed although the swell can get quite large some years.

Good luck choosing your new address.

Green Turtles and Hawksbill can be found around the island. Green Turtles used to breed here, but nesting sights have been ruined. I am sure there will be plenty of parasites to excite the zoological connoisseur.

Not everybody can cope with the isolation.

How extreme is the solitude? Is anyone else there? That would be tough. I was told about a guy who was employed to work a fire lookout post during fire season a few years ago. When his instructor came to check up on him, the lookout was chattering a mile a minute and acting a bit odd. They had to find a different placement for him. It's not the type of thing just anyone can do, that's for sure.

Isolation in terms of distance from continental landmass, not in terms of lack of human contact.
St H is inhabited by about 4500 english speaking people

Hi very sorry for the late reply! Thank you oldfather for the advice! It sounds like a beautiful place. I can deal with isolation as long as I can say hello to someone a couple of times a week :). How is the lifestyle on the Island? Which country is it part of? Thank you Mr.X for the welcome. We have been quite busy lately being out with the boat catching green turtles. But it was a lot of fun. Now it is windy again so getting stuck in the lab again :).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT