• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello from Scotland!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DuncM

Jul 13, 2014
Hello,
Just discovered this forum and have learned a lot already from reading through. I have recently started spearfishing and exploring my local coastline. I have been getting out about 2-3 times a week for the last 6 weeks and have found the sea fascinating and full of life. I have lots of questions and feel confident I will find the answers here!
Thanks,
Duncan

Welcome Duncan, where are you based?

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

Hi Grant, I live in Edinburgh, been diving down near the borders.
Possibly working on Mull next month so might take my gear?

Mull will be nice - usually extremely good vis.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Grant, do you have any advice for catching Pollock? I've had no trouble in the past find them swimming above the kelp, but today the vis was excellent ,10m, but I couldn't find any apart from 3-4 small ones. Do they sometimes swim down in the kelp? I tried diving down and staying still hoping they would maybe come to me but nothing apart from some friendly wrasse.

Grant, do you have any advice for catching Pollock? I've had no trouble in the past find them swimming above the kelp, but today the vis was excellent ,10m, but I couldn't find any apart from 3-4 small ones. Do they sometimes swim down in the kelp? I tried diving down and staying still hoping they would maybe come to me but nothing apart from some friendly wrasse.

Sounds like you've discovered excellent vis can equate to a nice dive experience but challenging spearing conditions :)
Without naming any spots publicly we're diving in the same areas and there are plenty fish around at the moment.
They certainly do hide in the kelp and it can look like there's nothing about but if you drop into the kelp as smoothly as you can trying not to appear 'hunter like' and sit tight you'll see them pop out vertically 1 by 1 and start going about their business again. This can happen within a few seconds or can require longer holds . I always go with assumption the pollock are there - just because you can't see them doesn't mean there's none around.
Maybe you came behind me on Monday? There were a couple less ;-)
uploadfromtaptalk1406223262102.jpg

ah ok sounds good. I've been lying atop the kelp but will try sinking in next time. Is one minute usually long enough? I find it quite uncomfortable to stay longer and don't want to push it. Also wondering what do you look for in the forecast? I've usually found the best vis when the wind has been coming from the west, but today it was from the east but vis was great?

It's just nice and settled now as we've had little significant swell for a few weeks. We don't want too many east winds tbh.
Best bit of advice I could give you about spearing if you've just started is forget about trying for longer bottom times / deep dives etc. and be prepared for a season or two of not really catching too many reasonable fish, or even catching anything at all. The depth / bottom times will come gradually over time, although youll get decent pollock as soon as you hit the bottom often enough :)

Anyone been out on the E /SE coast over the last few days? How's the vis? Bit of swell coming in but if it's clear it should be fine for later in the week.

Hi Grant, I was out last week, the vis wasn't great, about 3 maybe 4m I think. Lots of pollock though, was like an aquarium at times.
Looking forward to the swell dying down.
Pollock.png

Cheers Duncan. The swell hasn't been as big as forecast and if there's 3-4 m it should be ok. Fingers crossed it remains like it is.

Scrap that. Looks like the East will be off for a while :-(

Damn, was hoping to get out this weekend. The swell looks smaller for next week though. Offshore wind forecast too.

Reactions: grantl
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT