• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Help? whats wrong with my ear?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jul 23, 2011
hello all divers
I was wondering if you could help me out with a problem with my right ear, the bottom part of it is swollen up, looks like the swelling is below the cheek skin as well.
It was feeling a little sore earlier on in the week when I was spearfishing the river around Sunday-wedsday, i noticed it maybe wedsday.
I still feel like i can equalize , however i think i can notice a difference in hearing between the swollen ear and the good ear as i click my fingers.
Possible causes
Diving a dirty river
Pimple on ear lope was squashed but squashed back into the lope(hate to be disgusting here guys :/ )
Ive noticed a puncture or something near the ear, maybe an insect got me
I was tryng to put on a hoodie on Thursday that dint agree with the shape of my ears.
The swelling only really got bad today where you can feel it without touching it.
I was hoping you could give me some advice of what caused this and how to get over it?
This is much appreciated, Thankyou
Regards Sam

it also feels as if there is a slight shift in weight as i turn my head to the side - maybe there is water in there?
thankyou

Sorry for the troubles, but I'd tell that it would be better to visit a doctor than seeking a diagnosis on a forum.

yes i did that on the day, got some antibiotics, ear drops for this ear infection - could have guesses it :head
i had a little doubt because last time i had an infection it did not swell up like this
i was just wondering how other freedivers cope with these problems, i think i may start taking acholic ear drops to clear out water after each dive.
Thankyou

I sometimes get ear infenctions if I dive more than a few days in a row. Mild ones I barely notice but they will get worse if I continue diving. When I remeber to put drops in after getting out of the water it seems to work. Drops are preventative though; they aren't any use if you already have an infection.

thankyou very much youngninja
i think the infection is gone now but will see a doctor tommozz:crutch
i think there is real point in it for likely to happen if diving a few day, will use ear drops from now on :)
however is the ingredience of the ear drops just alchole? if so might be cheaper to use drinking spirts? - read on the ingredience that my eardrops(antibiotics/steriods) had mainly metholatedspirts
thankyou very much
cheers
Regards sam

I don't know what your prescription ear drops have in them; but the ear drops you buy here in the US over the counter in the drug store are mostly alcohol--no antibiotics or steroids in them, and they are inexpensive. My ear infections have always cleared up very quickly if I stopped diving or used drops. But like Trux said, medical advice from on an internet forum is probably not a good idea. Good luck with it.

Last edited:
hi,
you shouldnt use ear drops when your ears are not infected.

what you can do to help preventing infections is to rinse your ears with warm clean water after diving, or with solutions that contain alcohol (but not too much alcohol, which will dry and clean the ear canal too much, taking away the layer of wax that helps protecting the skin from bacteria).

when i dive a lot i use a solution which i make myself (under suggestion of my ear doctor) of 1/3 vinegar, 1/3 distilled water and 1/3 alcohol.

good luck
linda

hi,

what you can do to help preventing infections is to rinse your ears with warm clean water after diving, or with solutions that contain alcohol (but not too much alcohol, which will dry and clean the ear canal too much, taking away the layer of wax that helps protecting the skin from bacteria).

when i dive a lot i use a solution which i make myself (under suggestion of my ear doctor) of 1/3 vinegar, 1/3 distilled water and 1/3 alcohol.

good luck
linda

What type of vinegar? White, red, balsamic? Liquid or grevey-ish? (It's a serious question. They're not all the same, you know).

hi,

good luck
linda

And what about alcohol? Sambuca? Vodka? Tequila? rofl

thanks guys this is great
i think there is some confusion over the ear drops
at the moment im using ear drops that contain atibodies and steroids becuse my ear is infected and irritable - i was told not to use these after the ear is no longer irritable
the normal drops you use after diving are for when you don't have an infection
grand mix trullala, ill ask my doctor about :)
thats a good point on the alcohol simos
my ear still seems a little itchy at times and doc says its still infected - hmmm i really wanted to dive the low swell this weekend :/, but i dont think so
thankyou

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT