• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How old is too old?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bob Loesch

Apr 18, 2014
My first post is a question. I tried to search this, but didn't find an answer. I'm 65 and active. Have been diving all my life, recreational not technical, and max depth is 130' on the USS Saratoga in Bikini lagoon. I feel prefectly at ease while diving and can still hold my breath for a good bit. Last static test was 3:15 without any problems - could probably do 3:30 without additional training. I'm putting together a bucket list and was wondering if adding an item to the list of freediving to 100' was out of the question? Are there any active freedivers that are up in age or is this primarily a sport for the younger crowd?

Hi Bob. Welcome aboard. That was number one on my bucket list when I retired. Had no idea how easy it would be with a little instruction and warm water. Forty years of spearing fish before I made it. With a quarter inch suit and twenty pounds of lead, that was an awesome depth.
After switching to free diving on Sundays in 75-80 water, my new target became age in meters. Haven't done it for a while but, last year, on one magical day, the sand got in the way below 70. Training is going well and I hope to take a shot at it this summer. Encouraging/discouraging on Sunday when I spent 15 seconds below 200 feet trying to get the last bubble of air in my left ear.
Inflation is wreaking havoc with my budget and the government is attacking Medicare, but 'they' can't steal my dreams. You've got to be tough if you want to grow old. Good luck.

My first post is a question. I tried to search this, but didn't find an answer. I'm 65 and active. .......... Are there any active freedivers that are up in age or is this primarily a sport for the younger crowd?
I have done some minor snorkelling since I was a kid, and then gave myself a gift of a freediving course for my 60th birthday. My accomplishments are appropriately modest; I got to 25 metres and my static is just under 4 minutes. I think I'm just getting started, and am now 62.

Reactions: spaghetti
I've had students older than you in my program do very well. I would just add that if hit 100ft is something on the bucket list, take a freediving class where you will learn how to get there much easier, learn how to do so safely, and have an instructor diving with you every step of the way.

Bob,
If you can get to Kona, you can play with Bill (see above) and the rest of the rope crew. it's a great way to test yourself. They are very safety conscious, and have a lot of fun on Sunday mornings.

Ditto the Baron and Immersion, I'm 64 and a 100 ft dive isn't hard at all. Believe me, that's not aptitude; its just training. With good technique, you can do much deeper than that. Reasonable depths, it actually gets easier with age. Go for it!

Welcome to DB.

Connor

My first post is a question. I tried to search this, but didn't find an answer. I'm 65 and active. Have been diving all my life, recreational not technical, and max depth is 130' on the USS Saratoga in Bikini lagoon. I feel prefectly at ease while diving and can still hold my breath for a good bit. Last static test was 3:15 without any problems - could probably do 3:30 without additional training. I'm putting together a bucket list and was wondering if adding an item to the list of freediving to 100' was out of the question? Are there any active freedivers that are up in age or is this primarily a sport for the younger crowd?

I dont think it should me much of a problem, like the other folks who responded to your question. Im 65 and spend my winters in mexico diving 5 times per week for 4and a half months usually not going deeper than 50 feet , but occasionally zipping down to 70, I suspect i could go deeper but most of what interests me lives in less than 50 feet of water--Ive never really tried to measure a static breath hold but a really long dive for me is 2 and a half minutes--have fun Cheers.

I guess the best thing is to ask a doctor for a serious check-up of cardio and lung fitness, who will also give a look to ears and nose...Useless to say that this holds for any age.

I play UWR with a 78 yo that has a 6-min breath hold and I don't take it easy on him.

:eek:

He's not typical (obviously) and being typical, his mom still worries about him... Who's 30 years older!!

:eek:

It's also worth noting that 50% of current world records were set by people around the age of 50 at the time of the attempt.

There are not many sports, where that is possible.

Folks, great respect to you all. In my humble IMHO :) let's just freediving while we are able... and mind Jacques Mayol decided that he wasn't able any more...
Anyway, I'm not so cool as you are (just 60 yo -30m cwt) but enough to enjoy freediving with my wife and my sons (and their girlfriends ;)

Now dream is freedivng with my granddaughter (5 yo) and then with my grandson too (2 yo) ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT