• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ireland Spearing 2012

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Yep. All hands on deck. Be vigilant lads and report illegal fishing.
It's Everyone's responsibility to keep our stocks up.
This will be the first of many.......
Poachers beware!!!!!!

Yes, and to celebrate it lets wet our wetsuits once again!!! :martial

hi guys, heading off in the morning scouting for a few new locations... anyone got any tips for what i should be looking for... all ive been catching in usual spot are pollack and crabs... its a very safe spot with little current and a quiet small pier to get in and put of....gonna be trying the clare coast from ballyvaughan to quilty area...if we have time gonna try around doonbeg area... white strand is where the irish record bass was caught so might give that area a day in itself.. any info at all would be appreciated...cheers

Hi
Just looking at the posts, is there any vis at the moment in Cork area?
There's been a good bit of swell around but mostly on the West coast.

cheers

Kookiebrew. Keep looking and when u find it u will know. Took me 2 years to figure out where to dive. When u find it keep it quiet!! Usually places hard to access are the best!
Never fished clare so I'm no good to u but good luck!!
Chealy. Vis is crap offshore and in cork harbour which is y I went rod fishing today with bobdonny.
Caught 6 nice ling and a cod but the reason I'm telling u this is because of what I found inside the biggest ling. I've gutted a lot of fish and seen a lot of strange and big things in their stomaches but I've never seen anything like this!
Not sure what the fish is but he is over 1/3 the size of the ling! Just goes to show how big a bait u can use!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326486079.143969.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326486079.143969.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 157
Thats crazy baldy....

So.... bigger baits... I'm now looking at bigger hooks and braid... got my reel fixed this morning... looking forward to next session!!

Kookie... keep diving and checking out new places... I find surf beaches boring to dive and hard to find fish... there are also a few nearby that have similiar records... but I much rather dive an interesting rock formation and have a nosey around.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

PS

Here is my humble ling and chips from yesterday ;)

405595_3005074963222_1152836871_3285197_159029313_n.jpg

Hi guys just looking to buy a spearfishing wetsuit and wondering where's the best to buy aswel as what's best all round. Also how do you know what size fits you best if your buying online ?

hi ryan myself and my bro got ours from DiveSkin - Quality Neoprene Products this time last year.. we went for the custom made to measure, when you decide on the suit there is a measurement chart and then put measurement into the order form... done some research on the suits before hand and a lot of guys on here have the same suits... 5mm is whats recommended for irish waters and they seemed perfect for us.. longest we stayed in was over 4 hrs last aug and neither of us got the slightest bit cold... cost us $189+shipping and was best money ever spent...

Aw brillant sound good :) was out surfing and the surf suit just wouldn match up for spear fishing ! Would the 5 mm be ok for winter ?

Well,I went for a dip yesterday with a 5 mm Cressi ,water temp was 6 degree Celsius and I have to say I wasn't warm,I lasted about one hour ... So for the winter spearfishing I would choose a thicker suit.Your decision...

i havent been yet this winter but i ordered a 3mm vest over xmas and gonna use that next time few weeks...will let yea know how it goes..

Sound good even if I'm in an hour il be happy thanks for the advice should be goin in next week let you's know how I get in the surf suit :) how you get on yesterday vasile ? Many fish about? Looked quite good yesterday

Last edited:
Elios open cell 5mm suit. 7 is too thick I think for freediving. On my second one now and wouldn't buy anything else. Out for scallops recently. 7-8 degrees for 5 hours.
Go made to measure with open cell coz it has to be a perfect fit to work well and keep u warm.
Elios are slow to make them but ask anyone here and they won't have a bad word to say about their quality.

No fish to see around,smashing day but freezing cold,few crayfish around,water cristal clear.It was well worth it going out,it took some time to find a decent depth,now I have more info were to go for next time.

Elios open cell 5mm suit. 7 is too thick I think for freediving. On my second one now and wouldn't buy anything else. Out for scallops recently. 7-8 degrees for 5 hours.
Go made to measure with open cell coz it has to be a perfect fit to work well and keep u warm.
Elios are slow to make them but ask anyone here and they won't have a bad word to say about their quality.

I'd go for an Elios Open Cell 7mm or even 10mm if you feel the cold - I've got a 5mm and don't find it amazingly warm.

Certainly couldn't dive with it in the winter!

Yep. All hands on deck. Be vigilant lads and report illegal fishing.
It's Everyone's responsibility to keep our stocks up.
This will be the first of many.......
Poachers beware!!!!!!

Fekkin' Brilliant!:)

Hi Sunfish, They are very hard to find but once you find a big 5lb+ Plaice its fuel to keep you looking until the next. My average catch was 4 from 60 dives in deepths from 8m to 11. Some spots were deeper,11m to 15m. There was a current running but i picked my dive times. I needed days with good viz so when on the surface breathing up you could keep a eye on the reef so as not to loose the spot i last dived. Some times the current would move me off it and i would end up diving the ground i had already dived. Its like say diving for bass,you get a eye for the type of ground they like and its the same with the plaice.
I use a 35mm camera so its very bulky. Diving to those depths is tiring with a bulky bit of kit like that so i used to leave the gun with the camera on attached to my float. The float would be close by attached with a drop weight. I would find a plaice and if he looked like he was going to stay put i would come straight up look at the float to mark the spot. Swim back swap guns then go back and look for the plaice. Some times i would take ages to find that same fish again. Even though i knew he was there it would take several dives to find him.
Still it was great fun diving for them. Great for improving fitness and bottom times. A change from the normal stuff and most of all great eating.
Dive safe guys

Thanks a million for that Nick. I was hoping you'd give a few details. There's certainly some food for thought there.
What months of the year is it worth diving for plaice? Are they around in January in any numbers?

Plaice go offshore in the coldest winter months, returning in the spring but in thin condition. they stay inshore to recover throughout the summer & are at their prime in the Autumn

Camera worth lookin at for mounting. It's called the contour roam. 60m casing for only £30!!!! Camera on eBay for £115!
Looks like better quality than gopro but not as good exposure so the colour isn't as bright. Nothing photoshop can't fix!!

Plaice go offshore in the coldest winter months, returning in the spring but in thin condition. they stay inshore to recover throughout the summer & are at their prime in the Autumn
Thanks Mart, that's what I thought. There do seem to be a few flounders inshore over winter though.
Why aren't the regional threads sticky anymore? Have I missed something here?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT