• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Isle of Wight spearfishing spots.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fubar

Neil
May 2, 2007
Taking the family to the Isle of Wight in July for a few days and weather permitting I'm hoping to get in the water for a couple of spearing sessions. I have had a search of the forums but can't seem to find any real info on the island. If any one knows of any decent (or half decent) spots to try that would be brilliant.
Cheers
Neil

thanks for that foxfish, I'll have a read. Guess my searching wasn't as good as I thought.
Cheers.

Hi fubar,

I had a couple of dips last year over there. Had 2 dives in alum bay, vis was terrible as it had been raining and the cliffs are soft so lots of muck in the water. Did see some mullet and a lobster though. My friend had a dive in bembridge harbour as well and shot a flattie - watch out for the current though as it sweeps in and out of the mouth. Some good fishing off Yarmouth pier if thats your thing, plenty of mackeral and other bits and pieces, caught quite a few small bass close to the bridge at Yarmouth as well - good fun!

Jim

Due to lack of space in the motor (2 kids and the missus) I have to make the choice between fishing and spearin'. I did here something along the lines of "there's no way your going to fit all your kit in the car", I said it will even if I have to wear it for the drive.
Had a good look on google earth last night and spotted some fishy looking spots, I'll just have to be a bit careful with tides.
thanks

Reactions: stuckinsurrey
easy solution. your wife could take the train and meet you at the destination. SORTED.

(your wife can thank me when she is ready).

If you have any other queries please ask.

Reactions: foxfish
Problem with that is if the car breaks down on the way who's gonna push, the kids are only little!

Reactions: podge
Thanks for starting a thread on the IOW fubar, we need more posts on Britain's smallest county (at high tide).
Due to lack of space in the motor (2 kids and the missus) I have to make the choice between fishing and spearin'.
Man, Sophie's choice, what a dilemma. Seems a shame not to take both. I know, get a bigger car or a roof box/trailer - sorted:D

I would defo take spearing gear but pare it back & try to sneak in a compact spinning/lure rod (travel rod maybe rated upto 60-80g) with my little Exage 2500 reel & 4 or 5 lures/tobys in a small box (Bass expert Dr. Mike Ladle would manage fine with one lure), perhaps a few hooks for bait/live baiting. Perhaps get some mackeral feathers and some 2oz weights once there. Alternatively you could always buy one of those cheap rod/reel/tackle holidaymaker kits once there if the conditions are no good for diving. Perhaps sell or give it away before returning - or let your wife destroy it! (The last 2 being therapeutic!).:D

hello fubar,
let me know when your down and illed try to meet up with you,
where will you be staying on the isle of wight???

Staying near Cowes the second week of July. Over for 4 days so hoping to squeeze in at least a couple dives.

cowes is not really a good place to go, strong currents and mud bottom,
let me know when ur over and illed come meet up with you, see if i can show you around

Didn't think so, only time i've been to the isle was with work and the cowes area didn't look the best. I've had a quick gander on google earth and seen some nice looking spots. Would be cool to have a local spearo to show me a couple of spots. I'll get in touch nearer the time.

Cheers

Neil

Hi all

I'm heading to IoW from Bournemouth tomorrow until Tuesday. Anyone around the island getting in? If not, anyone know roughly where to head and whether or not the vis is any good?

Cheers
Woody

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT