• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

July FOM

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

July FOM POLL

• BASS 6.4lbs Paddygoat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BASS 5.2lbs Chrisreynolds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BASS 7.5lbs Gutshot

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • BLACK BREAM 2lb 10oz Shiny1

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • ALMACO JACK 1lb Badlander

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • POLLACK 11lb 11oz Sunfish

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • GREY MULLET 3lb 5 oz Andycornish

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

scottwilson

Supporter
Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
FOM

July 2010

Entries only please

The poll will be added on 3/08/10 at 7pm and run for 5 days

After the poll closes comments and congratulations may then be added :)

Fish of the month discussion thread 2010

Fish Of the Year 2010

This years prize is sponsored by Anthony from Venture Sports!!!! Please show your support by clicking on his shops website and buying everything :)

www.scubadivingstore.co.uk
28466d1275139833-fom-prize-offered-meal-2-wine-venture-20sports.jpg

PLease read the rules below carefully before posting your entry

Rules
  1. Entrant must have posted at least 5 times at or before the last day of the previous month to the current competition.
  2. All entries to be accompanied by a photo. The photo must contain an item (e.g. a local newspaper) dated on the date of the catch.
  3. All species are included except scallops(crabs and lobsters are OK) and BSA minimum size limits should be observed.
  4. All entries must be in by 23:59hrs GMT on 2nd of following month. (e.g. April entries to be in by 2nd May)
  5. All winners chosen by popular vote on poll. A draw will result in the first posted entry winning
  6. Voting will last for 5 days once poll has been set up.
  7. You can enter as many times as you like every month but you will be asked to nominate which entry to forward to the poll
  8. In the event of there being 20 or more individuals entering the competition a short list of 20 will be chosen by DeeperBlue.net staff
  9. All decisions made by DeeperBlue.com staff are final

Bass 6.40 lbs

Bass 6.40 lbs (dont do ounces!).
:fridayIt's been weeks of terrible weather braving the waves, becoming seasick and catching nouight. Today was calm, if somewhat murky water for a change, swimming about 1/2 a mile seeing a few odd unidentifyable silvery fish and spotted what looked like a 5lb mullet 4m down in the kelp. It seemed to disappear into the weed so very quietly duckdived down to 3m to investigate. No sign of a mullet, but nice sized bass at 4m. A 'quickscope' aim with my beuchat 85cm double banded carbon marlin elite and the spear was surgically propelled right thru the middle of the top of the fishe's head. Miraculously it still managed to put up a fight, swimming around in circles with a huge steel spear in it's brain. Now safely at -20 degreesC for next weekend's handfast ceremony. PS. Watch out for Aliens on Anglesey.
winningfish.jpg

Last edited:
Following on with the bass theme i didn't get to weigh it as i don't have scales so it was gutted at the beach. Once i got home i measured it to be 67cm which, using OMD's converstion chart i got last year puts it about 7.5lb.

Was not too sure what to expect today but i took advantage of the weather and took the kayak out for a long paddle to check out a few reefs. I was suprised to find the viz upto 8m and bass from the very first dive. Missed the first bass after a slight hesitation from me and then kept on finding the bass coming from the wrong angle so i couldn't line up a shot. The reef i was diving has loads of really long kelp tunnels so you can drop down into a hole and follow gullies totally below the kelp. I saw the tail end of what must be the biggest bass i have ever seen but i couldn't get the gun positioned with all the kelp around. This spurred me on to keep diving below the kelp and as i emerged from one dive i encounterd what is probably my personal best. I had to do a quick shot as it was coming right at me and fairly fast. Just took the fillets off it now and it is lookling like tomorrow is going to be very fully bellies!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/ogreeny#p/a/u/0/k2Nx7pXWjGU"]YouTube - ogreeny's Channel[/ame]

Not one for reading the rubbish in the papers so i printed out the headlines from the internet.

Attachments

• DSCF0903.jpg
    DSCF0903.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: devondave
Grey -Mullet 3lb. 5oz
Not the largest but a change from bass or pollack and the largest i have so far caught :)
After a good 2hrs with 3-4m vis on the south coast seeing nothing but undersized pollack and wrasse decided to explore further along the cliffs, discovering a swim through 8m down, after creeping along stealthily (rather than finning so didnt make any noise hitting the walls with fins), after a good minute reached a clearing with 5-6m vis and saw the mullet 3-4m away. Took the shot (with my 75 so near the edge of its range) as it saw me and luckily it turned into the spear almost turning it into a kebab shot. Put up quite a fight for its size but will be making a tasty dinner tonight :)

Attachments

• P1010479.jpg
    P1010479.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: devondave
Well, it looks like I've won this one. Many thanks to everyone who voted for me.:):):)......YEE HEE!!!!:friday:friday:friday

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT