• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

just a question for the whole board...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

porsc

Profound Pursuits
Jan 27, 2006
with all of the beautiful and exotic places in the world to dive, why would you visit the same place more than once or twice?
please ellaborate on the reasons, rather than just answering that you like the diving there.

i, for one, have a hard time ever revisiting the same place, no matter how excellent the diving is. i am too curious about what else might be out there, and gaining the diving and cultural experiences of traveling to new places.

porsc said:
with all of the beautiful and exotic places in the world to dive, why would you visit the same place more than once or twice?
please ellaborate on the reasons, rather than just answering that you like the diving there.

Because my Lotto numbers havnt come up yet, and my wife spent my first Million.

But as soon as they do im out of Here ( with the wife and kids in tow of course)

Crusty

Reactions: spaghetti
when you dive several times at one and the same place you can push the limits. The conditions are never the same, aslo you can go deeper.

you also know the place you can train different situations where you can increase the risk or just exercise - when you know the environment you are more willing to try risk scenarious. that is what i do when i dive the same place.

But yes it is always exciting to dive to new places - if you can afford it

its an interesting question, i havnt been anywhere else yet, but i think that if i found a place i was very relaxed, had good friends there, and great freediving, id probably revisit it several times.

let me tighten up my original question, because i don't think the actual point that i was trying to get across was understood. i didn't mean if you live in a certain area, and dive that area consistantly. i was more interested in the people who save their money, and take a vacation to the same place, more than once. of course i dive in my backyard more than anywhere else, because i spend more time at home and it's cheaper. but, why would you save your money, and take a trip to dive the same place several times, instead of exploring all of the other places in the world?

I would return to the Maldives every year if I could. I love the marine life, the people, the currents and the familiarity. I am definitely a repeater guest.

Not to say I dont want to travel elsewhere, but the Maldives has a magnetism for me. I guess some countries have a personal attraction.

i can truly understand that Island_Sands, for me it's the philippines. but, don't you want to see sipadan, png, grenadines, palau, solomon islands, raja ampat, lembeh straight, anderman sea, fiji, red sea, tahiti, vanuatu, galapagos, belize, dominica, jamaica, yap, chuuk, bikini, great barrier reef, silver banks, turks and caicos, aruba, bonaire, tobago, curacao, us vi's, b vi's, bermuda, greneda, florida keys, costa rica, bay islands, cozumel, croatia, greece, french riviera, italian riviera, malta, cyprus, corsica, maorca, roatan, hawaii and the medas islands of spain? ...and there are thousands of others that i have not listed.

there are a few places that i have visited, that were so unimaginably wild and beautiful, that it bordered on cerebral overload, and i felt that i wanted to move there. but, the very thought of all of the other places that i haven't seen, keeps me on the move. what if what i am thinking is the zenith, really is just par for the course, and the reality is just that i haven't seen some of the other treasures of the world? the more you experience, the better qualified you are to make better judgements. than again, some say ignorance is bliss!

Last edited:
yes i do.
all in good time ;)

Medas islands of Spain wasn't that great :)

they can't all be Palau, Sipadan or the Maldives!!! ...unfortunately!

nice Q...i guess it is the same as eating something sweet.lets say u try Twix chocolate 2nd time u will try Mars 3rd time Bounty...in the end u will settle on the one that will give u the most fullfilment.

always Keep a place for dessert right mate?:duh :duh :duh

Two words...........warm and clear. Well actually that was three words......is that allowed?

Happy Diving

About 2 years ago I started taking extended diving holidays once a year. I've been to Thailand and Zanzibar (warm, clean and cheap). During each visit I promised myself I'll be back,

but then again .............."sipadan, png, grenadines, palau, solomon islands, raja ampat, lembeh straight, anderman sea, fiji, red sea, tahiti, vanuatu, galapagos, belize, dominica, jamaica, yap, chuuk, bikini, great barrier reef, silver banks, turks and caicos, aruba, bonaire, tobago, curacao, us vi's, b vi's, bermuda, greneda, florida keys, costa rica, bay islands, cozumel, croatia, greece, french riviera, italian riviera, malta, cyprus, corsica, maorca, roatan, hawaii and the medas islands of spain"

I am with you on this one,
where to next:confused:

Great Question!

For me, its a matter of being thorough. For example, I have been diving on the Great Barrier Reef and I have managed three trips of a couple weeks duration in the last year. I have been to about a dozen sites, probably a half-dozen times each, and they are never the same. Each time there is something different.

I have been diving around the Big Island of HI for the last couple of years as well, and the same story applies. It takes days of diving a location to really get familiar with the critters and the terrain. Then I want to go there because I know the critters and the terrain......

Certainly the world has many, many beautiful places and I have resigned myself to only being able to give a few of them the attention they deserve.

Attachments

• lungfish.jpg
    lungfish.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 170
Lungfish, are you aware that touching corals is wrong? It seems that is what the diver is doing in that picture. :(

Actually, I am aware that touching corals is wrong. In fact, these coral are so delicate and rare that they are hard to find at depths above 30meters because currents and storms will damage them.... I am indeed balancing against a bleached out coral, I look before I touch.....and I am touching nothing with my right hand.

and in this shot I am hovering behind a Giant Clam and some really nice corals, also on the GBR....I have come to this place repeatedly, and each time there is something new..... I could spend the next ten years on this stretch and never take it all in.

Attachments

• LungfishGiantClam.JPG
    LungfishGiantClam.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Reactions: island_sands
DeepThought said:
Lungfish, are you aware that touching corals is wrong? It seems that is what the diver is doing in that picture. :(

rofl rofl
i think i got into BIG trouble a while back for asking you the same question :D

..haha Canada's not on this list!

If money were not an issue, I'd globetrot too-- and I wouldn't just stick to the clear and warm, there's a lot of life in cold waters too. Having a bad experience would probably keep people from returning to a spot, making friends would have someone return to a spot.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT