• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

left ear equalizing, could be my wetsuit.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

denmyos

Jun 14, 2014
I have been spearfishing for around 6-7 years and always had problems equalizing with my left ear.
But this season i started thinking, maybe is not the eustachian tubes thats the problem, but the wetsuit pressing on my ear im feeling, since i actually never had pain inside my (eardrum).
I already poke a hole in the wetsuit by the left, not sure if its big enough, Paperclip x2.

Any other idears.?

:)

Reactions: Mr. X
From what I hear most people will just use a hot needle to add a hole and reduce the likelihood of the neoprene tearing and ensuring water can pass. The hole can be relatively small, most complain that even the tiny pin hole lets too much water in. I always just pull my hood open around my ear a little to flush the water in before going down. I forgot once and ruptured a blood vessel at the center of my ear with a hood squeeze, it was not obvious to me what was going on at first. I recommend doing BTV exercises to improve how easy your ears can be equalized, even if you don't do hands free it does wonders to improving flexibility of the Eustachian tubes. If you have a blockage a warm sinus rinse may fix the issue.

I have been spearfishing for around 6-7 years and always had problems equalizing with my left ear.
But this season i started thinking, maybe is not the eustachian tubes thats the problem, but the wetsuit pressing on my ear im feeling, since i actually never had pain inside my (eardrum).
I already poke a hole in the wetsuit by the left, not sure if its big enough, Paperclip x2.

Any other idears.?

Well, dive without a wetsuit a few times, try to equalize and find out ;)

• Love
Je pêche sous-marine depuis environ 6-7 ans et j'ai toujours eu des problèmes d'égalisation avec mon oreille gauche.
Mais cette saison, j'ai commencé à penser, peut-être que ce n'est pas les trompes d'Eustache qui sont le problème, mais la combinaison qui appuie sur mon oreille, je me sens, car je n'ai jamais eu de douleur à l'intérieur de mon (tympan).
J'ai déjà percé un trou dans la combinaison par la gauche, je ne sais pas si c'est assez gros, Paperclip x2.

D'autres idées. ?

Oui, tu perces 3 trous en triangle à 1 cm d'intervalle. Avec une tige chaude tu élargis pour faire des trous de 0.5cm de diamètre. C'est efficace.

Oui, tu perces 3 trous en triangle à 1 cm d'intervalle. Avec une tige chaude tu élargis pour faire des trous de 0.5cm de diamètre. C'est efficace.
In English: "Yes, you drill 3 holes in a triangle 1 cm apart. With a hot rod you widen to make holes 0.5cm in diameter. It is effective."

Interesting. I've wondered about the hood causing ear equalisation problems. I too just let some water into my hood usually but have thought about adding small holes near ears to help.

Well, dive without a wetsuit a few times, try to equalize and find out ;)
I dive through out the year. Sometimes in 7c water.
And in the summertime the water temp is at the most 20-22c
Went spearfishing today in 7mm suit. The water was freaking cold.!!

I've read about people putting holes in their wetsuits and it makes sense, but I have never done it. My hood doesn't seem to interfere with equalization.

I dive through out the year. Sometimes in 7c water.
And in the summertime the water temp is at the most 20-22c
Went spearfishing today in 7mm suit. The water was freaking cold.!!
And? Did not you want to find out how your suit affects your equalization?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT