• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lobster

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ronnie

Jun 6, 2010
Freediving off NE Scotland a few weeks ago, I saw a truly magnificent lobster trundling around the seafloor like a Sherman tank.

My Cressi Occhio Plus mask does makes things look bigger than they really are, but trust me - this was a monster. I used to catch these in pots in my younger days and have a lot of respect for their combat abilities. I decided not to get up close and personal with the beast in its own environment and settled on watching its behaviour for a bit.

Later I regretted this decision.

What's the technique / equipment for taking lobster?

I too was inspired to catch them after seeing a decent one a few weeks back. It went into full attack mode and I didn't know how to handle it. I think you grab the carapace from behind. Easier said than done when they are forward facing you with their claws charging at you. Minimum size of the carapace down South is 87mm.

I made a snare for lobsters and crab yesterday. I took it out with me today but didn't get chance to use it but can't see that it won't work.

It's based on the snares the Americans use when hunting lobsters (the type without the large front claws). I bought a 1 metre length of aluminium tubing from b&q, cut it down to 66cms and fed plastic coated steel wire through with enough on each end to form a loop. The wire in the loops had a short section of aquarium tubing placed on it so the lobster doesn't get sliced and so that the loop doesn't close off completely and go into the tube. The wire was then crimped.

With the the left over tubing I can cut this down further and use it to make stringers.

I think smaller ones could be safely picked up by the carapace. A big one could be quite a handful.

I was looking at those US nooses on a stick you mentioned. In defensive mode lobsters face you with claws spread and extended trying to make themselves look as big and scary as possible. I'm not sure what use the noose would be. If you catch it round one claw it will shed it.

Maybe throw a net over it, tangle it up, then stuff it in the bag :)

I was thinking of trying to noose the lobster from behind when it's out in the open and in full attack mode. Face the lobster head on, dangle the stick over its head with the noose at the back. All I really need to do is turn it so I can grab it by the carapace then hold it behind the front claws if it's a big one. I haven't tried it out yet so can't say if it will work or not.

However, it should work for the velvet swimmers. Encountered another one today, instead of going into it's hole it came out to have a fight

Velvets are pretty feisty, I used to catch them with creels too. But they're small enough to be grabbed across the back of the carapace. I confess I've never tried to eat one.

The noose might work head on, but I suspect it would catch it before you could get it over the claws.

Lobsters have two claws, a heavy crusher and a sharp scissor type claw. The scissor is very fast. I once lost concentration putting rubber bands on a lobster and started to do the heavy claw first, the other one came over lightening fast and cut a thin slice off the pad of my thumb as quick as you like. That was out of the water! Immobilise the lightweight looking claw first

lobster.jpg

I also have a lobster hook here. Never been used in anger yet. Perhaps I have the hook in one hand and the snare in the other. If the lobster grabs the snare (I do not tighten it) then I use the hook with my other hand to turn it around so I can grab it from behind.

Throwing a net over it would probably work.. perhaps a weighted metal hoop with netting.

Thanks for the tip on the claws. I was just going to put the lobster in a catch bag without attempting to put rubber bands on them... could be a bit fiddly whilst out on the water?

Just thinking, if the lobster you saw was a giant, perhaps it was just as well you left it? Some of the huge ones live more than 100 years.

Yes, I thought the same thing. I've also heard that some lobsters can travel over a mile in single day so who knows? Definitely worth a second look.

I've been thinking of modifying a litter picker to get them when their in deep cracks and then keep a bit of distance till i get them up to my buoy and either noose or bag them. I've also been reading a bit about tonic immobility in lobsters.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KLfaMV9GfI]Hypnotized Lobster Headstand - YouTube[/ame]

I catch a lot of lobsters whilst im out spishing, my advice is bring a hook for tickling them out of holes, and when it comes to grabbing them just man up and do it. distract lobster with one hand, sneak up from behind with the other grabbing the carapace (head) do not grab the claws as they will shed these and swim off.

Reactions: Ronnie
I with fro on this...if you want it just crab it behind the head!

Haha so true, you just have to dive down and grab them fast around the body behind the claws, don't hesitate or they'll be gone or worse still nip you!

I had three last month but no bag to carry them in so just tucked two under one arm and one in my hand, great till I shot my last bass and couldn't reload or take the fish off the spear!

Attachments

• IMG_7634.jpg
    IMG_7634.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 198
Out of the water, don't the lobsters want to go for walk about?... they seem quite happy to rest on your fins in that picture

Out of the water, don't the lobsters want to go for walk about?... they seem quite happy to rest on your fins in that picture

Nope the wight of their bodies/claws mean they can't move an inch on land, totally useless.

I tend to carry a keep bag with me , but had it once where I forgot it and ended up with 4 lobsters dangling from my safety float in a vertical line tied around where the tail meets the head which worked realy well, only issue was when I re surfaced and my bouy drifted towards me I had 4 lobsters trying to have a go at me simultaneously, good fun.

3 techniques can be used.

1- By hand. Its OK with warm-water bugs because they have no claws. I love my fingers too much to try that on clawy ones!

2- Lobster snare. Should be efficient, never tried it.

3- Shoot in face. I go for option 3. They cant run when theyre impaled. (take a band off first)

Option 3 is illegal in the UK I believe

Possible. Always check the regulations and make sure you have a permit for what you are doing in the waters you are diving. Dont just say "I read on the internet some guy was doing that" LOL!

I do this in Mexico... Its fine there.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT