• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mares cyrano evo hf 110

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Shaft sliders to consider using, yilding maximun performance, decrease drag in mind.

• Sporasub One slider

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mares Cyrano slider (oval looking one)

• Metal sliders, riffe or similar sliders.

• Salvimar slider

• Total voters

armandozx

Cubanmissle!
Aug 8, 2007
Good morning to all, it's been quite a long time since I've been here, I'm glad to be back, with a darth Vader helmet on; that's right, I have converted to the dark side.

After reading many articles here prior to using the mares cyrano evo hf 110, I made sure I did everything as error free as possible, not turning the shaft while loaded, not rigging the gun before loading etc. Prior to receiving the gun I was told at Austins that they received quite a few guns that were bad, leaking at the muzzle and trigger, customers came back complaining so they sent them all back, source is very reliable and I took his word for it without any questioning what so ever, needless to say, this made me awry.

First impressions as with any new toy, you're in love with what you see. Gun is very impressive in my opinion; others may change of course. Gun reel not so much, but after all appearances are deceiving, and no assumptions can be made of something without trying it first.

Finally got the gun in the water, gun was rigged with stock slider and two wraps of mono, 1.5mm I believe. My first 5 attempts to load the gun were pitiful, total failure on my behalf. I'm 5'6 so this gun is perhaps the max I should be loading, not so much due to the force needed to load but rather the reach, I felt I wanted to return the gun after those unsuccessful loads from the water via teleportation. Technique, Technique, Technique, so I figured out why I wasn't loading the gun and I finally switched my hands where I would release the inferior extended portion of the loader and keep pushing with the top loader until the gun clicked, FINALLY! I had done it, soon after my quarrels with the idea of returning the gun eased up a bit.

My first shot, yield no fish but I didn't get hung up on it, I loaded the gun back up as fast as I could and somehow I had LOST MY LOADER, I looked all over and could not find it, things were definitively going not as planned, after many passes with no sight of it, I gave up trying to look for it and told myself I only had 1 shot left, make it count. Gave it another go, chased two cudas down but they swam away too fast, I turn around and see another cuda circling me, aim, shoot and just like that, the fish was falling to the bottom flat, no movement what so ever, no reel spooling ( kinda disappointing) but I could not be more impressed, WOW, so much power, so accurate. I was left hooked yet unable to use the gun again.

Impressions, awesome, tweaks needed on the gun, I went with a pig tail swivel, I noticed that rigging the line through the line guide of the reel is useless, it will bend it down with two wraps of mono, poor structure support, use the second rigging option behind the reel close to handle much better in my opinion. I don't feel the slider is the best, my shot was through bone and it kind of peeled some plastic off it, ANY recommendations on a new slider? Want something that would accept 1.5mm mono minimum.

Any advice? I was considering doing three loops of mono do any of you think this is a good idea? The gun is asking for more shooting line and is spooling off the reel with semi hard choke on.
MG_5957.jpg
MG_1303.jpg

Interesting review and nice catch! If you use 1.5 mm and more for mono you can use Devoto or similar slider. Maybe Mares race is more brittle? I would not use steel slider unless you find very tiny, not heavy one, like for slip tip.

Reactions: armandozx
Interesting review and nice catch! If you use 1.5 mm and more for mono you can use Devoto or similar slider. Maybe Mares race is more brittle? I would not use steel slider unless you find very tiny, not heavy one, like for slip tip.

Thank you Tromic, I've been a shadow agent for a very long time and a fan of your work as well. Now I have a reason to be here. Only reason I didn't list the Tomba slider is because I think I read that it only accepts 1mm mono, so I wasn't sure. Over here in south florida, 1.5mm mono should be the least you should be using when shooting around the reefs, your mono get's frayed so easily and fast is not even funny.

Stopped by the shop yesterday to pick my friend a loader for his 135 asso and talked to a bud there, he showed me the metal riffe "slider," was neat looking but I could not justify the price of $15 for that little thing so I left it to time to see.

What about the rigging on the gun, should I stick with 2 or go ahead and try 3 wraps? Another thing I came around was the trigger sensitivity screw underneath, clock wise makes trigger more sensitive or is it the other way around.

I won't lie, after using the gun I was all confused due to it's rigging set up, my hybrid band guns have the line release on the Left and switching over to the Left after using the gun left me feeling awkward.

Will be using again Saturday!
MG_9182_2.jpg

Last edited:
The latest Tomba slider is for 1.5 mm max. If I were you I would buy that slider for 15$. Omer microspeed is maybe 6,5 Euro but it is much too heavy. Slider must be as light as possible!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT