• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My first monofin - which one to choose...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

anni

Nov 26, 2013
Hello!

I have no idea which monofin I would choose. I could spend $100-250 for it.

I have been freediving for couple years. I want monofin suitable for diving in sea ( and I will travel with it), fun diving with fishs, diving up to 20 meters and just having fun in the water.

Is the leaderfin good? Should I choose soft monofin?

Is the monofin easy to get broken while traveling?

Thanks for all the tips!

Hello!

I have no idea which monofin I would choose. I could spend $100-250 for it.

I have been freediving for couple years. I want monofin suitable for diving in sea ( and I will travel with it), fun diving with fishs, diving up to 20 meters and just having fun in the water.

Is the leaderfin good? Should I choose soft monofin?

Is the monofin easy to get broken while traveling?

Thanks for all the tips!

I've come across some discussions on the forum about several people having problems with Leaderfins cracking after only a few times in use. Also, they have a worthless warranty, which left the customer high and dry. I don't have one myself to comment from personal experience, but I suggest you look into what is on the forum before you make a purchase decision.

Leaderfins are cheap to buy, but the old saying "you get what you pay for" comes to mind.

Here is a link to one of the threads: http://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/leaderfins-improved.97436/

Last edited:
A waterways model 2 might be on the high endoif your range.

Ppl tend to like the Nemo footpockets on a monofin for comfort and long wearing for a recreational monofin.

I have a model 2, but it's not comfortable for extended wearing on my feet.

A finis wave (yellow rubber fin) is a decent training device while developing the right muscles / technique.

It's small, comfortable, durable and travels well.

Last edited:
I would say for your first monofin is to get a Finis Rapid monofin. They have great costumer service an it is a soft blade

I have to disagree with the Finis option. I've wore and tested a plastic 'competition' model, and think it had a horrible low level of thrust and efficiency. The Waterway classic is far more superior. Another level up are the: WaterWay 'Nemo', or Specialfins 'Freediving monofin coloured'.
Yes these are full size blades, and need some handling care, and some additional protection for travelling, something many find a good trade off to having a fin that feels good in the water.

About blade size and stiffness. Those depend on your body mass, body size, strength, swim comfort.
For the sake of durability I would not go with soft, but choose Medium-soft or harder. For most medium-soft is the best starting choice, because it does not need much force to get the blade to bend, spring and propel the diver.

Do a search on DB to read other threads about this very topic.

Reactions: radziah and vali
I've come across some discussions on the forum about several people having problems with Leaderfins cracking after only a few times in use. Also, they have a worthless warranty, which left the customer high and dry. I don't have one myself to comment from personal experience, but I suggest you look into what is on the forum before you make a purchase decision.

Leaderfins are cheap to buy, but the old saying "you get what you pay for" comes to mind.

Here is a link to one of the threads: http://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/leaderfins-improved.97436/
Seems I was not alone having problems with the Leaderfin. Still, I wonder what the problem was. Is the angle a critical issue (togehter with fiber-glass) a critical issue ?

Seems I was not alone having problems with the Leaderfin. Still, I wonder what the problem was. Is the angle a critical issue (togehter with fiber-glass) a critical issue ?

I haven't had a Leaderfin to comment specifically on their design. In general these are things I can think of that can lead to a weakened fin blade:

• If the blade is tapered by scoring and peeling away layers of laminate, the blade strength could be compromised by scoring too deeply and damaging structural layers of glass that need to be there. A new employee could have been put on the job, who didn't have the feel for how to do this correctly.

• The design of the fin blade and warp indexing of the composite layers produces excessive oil-canning of the panel when it flexes and results in breaking the matrix bonds to the fibers.

• If it is hand laid and cured composite panel, contaminations and dirty glass cloth can prevent the matrix from bonding to the fibers and weakening the strength of the panel.

• Using old resin that never cures to the specified and needed structural properties will weaken the strength of the panel.

I had a quick look at a basic Leaderfins mono (no angle) that someone brought out and the blade was more like a sheet of plastic, than a layered, fiberglass, hand-cut blade.

There was an "edge protector" on it and it had already started peeling off after one use.

I had a quick look at a basic Leaderfins mono (no angle) that someone brought out and the blade was more like a sheet of plastic, than a layered, fiberglass, hand-cut blade.

There was an "edge protector" on it and it had already started peeling off after one use.
So my problem was probably a matter of the making of the blade rather than caused by the angle ?

Most fiberglass / carbon monofins have a straight blade.

The one exception I've seen, was a custom one I received that was made for by Eric Fattah during his WR diving, with a curved blade (front to back) to compensate for a lack of angle an happened to be wider than any others I've seen.

The angle of a "hyperfin" is created by "building up" the footpocket and then attaching it to a straight / flat blade. My upcoming Lunocet Pro review has a video showing this exact process.

The angle (if any) on bifins is built into the blade itself however.

Interesting....however, the Leaderfin which broke HAD an angle right in the blade (and the crack formed around that point). Perhaps producers now avoid that.

Without having seen it... It sounds like a weakness in the design and a shortcut to creating an angle in a monofin. :(

I have to disagree with the Finis option. I've wore and tested a plastic 'competition' model, and think it had a horrible low level of thrust and efficiency. The Waterway classic is far more superior. Another level up are the: WaterWay 'Nemo', or Specialfins 'Freediving monofin coloured'.
Yes these are full size blades, and need some handling care, and some additional protection for travelling, something many find a good trade off to having a fin that feels good in the water.

About blade size and stiffness. Those depend on your body mass, body size, strength, swim comfort.
For the sake of durability I would not go with soft, but choose Medium-soft or harder. For most medium-soft is the best starting choice, because it does not need much force to get the blade to bend, spring and propel the diver.

Do a search on DB to read other threads about this very topic.

Hello Kar,

So between WaterWay 'Nemo' and Specialfins 'Freediving monofin coloured', which one will you get if you are first time using monofin? Is the extra money for Specialfins monofin coloured worth it?

Is the angle really make a difference for beginner?

Also, can you advice the stiffness for me, I am 58kg and 162cm tall (about 5foot 3) and I currently use bifin Penetrator with soft (which is harder than other brand soft). I do some practice of dolphin kick in my bifin and you can see my technique here in this video:

underwater footage:

Do you think soft is okay or I should take medium. I'm pretty rough person and do break things :p so that may need to be considered as well...:oops:

Thank you for your advice.

Hi Radziah,

It's lovely to see you having fun in the pool!
You already have a developed a good monofin technique, good job!

I do not know what your budget is, but I would say your competence warrants to have the best fins you can or want to buy. Fins like a tailor made Startfins - Build by Alex. If you're on a budget, and you want to dip your toe in a fin, while you safe up for a top of the line model, you'll be greatly served by either the Waterway Nemo (E 224.72 ), or the Specialfins Freediving monofin coloured (E 269,-) (mailing cost excluded). With shipping cost it may turn out Specialfins may be the same price or cheaper then the Nemo, inquire I say.

What stiffness you ask? With your technique, and apparent strength: you Can handle medium. However you may be into swimming long distances, hours, then a softer blade makes sense. On the other hand if you like to go deep in CWT, 30+ meters, then a medium blade is better.

The Nemo and the Speciafins Monofin Colored differ in stiffness. The Nemo is a bit more stiff. Taking both fins in a blade stiffness order:

Specf. soft, Nemo soft, Specf. med, Nemo med, Specf. hard, Nemo hard, Specf. extra hard.

I would avoid the Specialfins soft, because that one may have durability issues with it's too thin blade.
The rest of the fins are good.

About the footpocket angle, it really does make a big difference, to all users - beginners and pros. What does it do? It makes for easier swimming and much longer gliding. The Nemo has 12 degrees and the Speciafins 15. A bonuspoint for the Specialfins I think.

From this I think the Speciafins Monofin Colored - medium stiffness looks to like the best, with the Nemo medium next in line.

One additional nicety with the Speciafins is that you can choose a color, maybe it matches your suit's color :)
Bright colors are safer for deep-diving, making for easier spotting.

As a final note, about choosing a top of the line 'Hyperfin' model, such as Starfins offers (http://starfins.com/eng/), there are some alternatives emerging, foil and fluke fins. The Dol-fin foil offers a very durable construction and hyperfin level performance. The Lunocet 2015 fluke promises a good performance, but it is not proven, and suffers from bad delivery times. But since you ask about the extra money for the speciafins medium is worth it, I would say yes because in order of importance: 1 more angle (+25% / + 3 degrees), a bit softer then the Nemo medium, nice color blades.

I hope this helps, and when you get your fin I love to see a video of you using it! :)

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Last edited:
Reactions: radziah
FYI: WeFreedive operates out of Thailand and Malaysia and I think they import Specialfins (not a small task as I understand it).

http://wefreedive.org/

PS - If you can earn 1st place in one of their competitions, you may be able to win a Specialfin. ;)

Reactions: radziah and Kars
Lovely supportive comment Revan - Ron!

Ron is the inventor and builder of the Dof-fin hydrofoil fins, so feel free to ask him directly about his Orca2, his latest and greatest.
I have not seen or tested any hydrofoil in person, so I feel I cannot highly recommend anything I have not had personal experience with. The third party reporting on it's construction, efficiency and use are positive. Maybe Ron can say something about his delivery times.

With most tailor made and confection fins shipping world wide you need to count in months for deliveries.

Lovely supportive comment Revan - Ron!

Ron is the inventor and builder of the Dof-fin hydrofoil fins, so feel free to ask him directly about his Orca2, his latest and greatest.
I have not seen or tested any hydrofoil in person, so I feel I cannot highly recommend anything I have not had personal experience with. The third party reporting on it's construction, efficiency and use are positive. Maybe Ron can say something about his delivery times.

With most tailor made and confection fins shipping world wide you need to count in months for deliveries.

I can have X-20s out the door within a week or less of ordering (except for mid November through early December as I'll be traveling for DEMA Show and some DOL-Fin product demonstrations in California). I'm working on more Orca2s as I've already sold off the first batch. It will be a race to see if the next batch of fairings arrive enough in advance of my trip to get more units shipped before I go on travel. Economy shipping to SE Asia is usually 2 to 3 weeks, and we have new flexible payment options that can make international transactions a little less painful for the customer.

If interested in any of our DOL-Fin products, please feel free to contact me directly.

Cheers,
Ron

Actually Radziah, there may be a prototype version of the DOL-Fin Pilot already in Malaysia that you could purchase. Contact DeepeerBlue member "wjohnson100" through a private message to see if he still has it. It went back there with him after he helped me out at my shop this summer. It was designated for the purpose of raising awareness of the DOL-Fin products in SE Asia and for its eventual sale or use as a competition prize. If he still has it you may be able to buy it and get a pretty good price compared to ordering a new X-20 from me. He splits his time between Phuket and Kuala Lumpur and I'm not sure which of those places he is at right now. If you cannot reach him, let me know your email address through PM and I'll get a hold of him for you through email.

Last edited:
Hi Radziah,

It's lovely to see you having fun in the pool!
You already have a developed a good monofin technique, good job!

I do not know what your budget is, but I would say your competence warrants to have the best fins you can or want to buy. Fins like a tailor made Startfins - Build by Alex. If you're on a budget, and you want to dip your toe in a fin, while you safe up for a top of the line model, you'll be greatly served by either the Waterway Nemo (E 224.72 ), or the Specialfins Freediving monofin coloured (E 269,-) (mailing cost excluded). With shipping cost it may turn out Specialfins may be the same price or cheaper then the Nemo, inquire I say.

What stiffness you ask? With your technique, and apparent strength: you Can handle medium. However you may be into swimming long distances, hours, then a softer blade makes sense. On the other hand if you like to go deep in CWT, 30+ meters, then a medium blade is better.

The Nemo and the Speciafins Monofin Colored differ in stiffness. The Nemo is a bit more stiff. Taking both fins in a blade stiffness order:

Specf. soft, Nemo soft, Specf. med, Nemo med, Specf. hard, Nemo hard, Specf. extra hard.

I would avoid the Specialfins soft, because that one may have durability issues with it's too thin blade.
The rest of the fins are good.

About the footpocket angle, it really does make a big difference, to all users - beginners and pros. What does it do? It makes for easier swimming and much longer gliding. The Nemo has 12 degrees and the Speciafins 15. A bonuspoint for the Specialfins I think.

From this I think the Speciafins Monofin Colored - medium stiffness looks to like the best, with the Nemo medium next in line.

One additional nicety with the Speciafins is that you can choose a color, maybe it matches your suit's color :)
Bright colors are safer for deep-diving, making for easier spotting.

As a final note, about choosing a top of the line 'Hyperfin' model, such as Starfins offers (http://starfins.com/eng/), there are some alternatives emerging, foil and fluke fins. The Dol-fin foil offers a very durable construction and hyperfin level performance. The Lunocet 2015 fluke promises a good performance, but it is not proven, and suffers from bad delivery times. But since you ask about the extra money for the speciafins medium is worth it, I would say yes because in order of importance: 1 more angle (+25% / + 3 degrees), a bit softer then the Nemo medium, nice color blades.

I hope this helps, and when you get your fin I love to see a video of you using it! :)

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Wow, thank you for a very comprehensive advice, really appreciate it. Yeah, budget is an issue, which is why I am down to comparing just the two: Nemo and Specialfins coloured.

I had the priviledge in trying out the Dol-FIN both Orca and X-20 as I train with Walter when he come to KL (as you can hear his voice in the video):D and of course, if I have that kind of money I wish to get one of those. I don't swim much in monofin to talk about performance but it feels good on my feet and the best is how easy to travel with, I imagine how much hassle we can skip for packing during traveling. My only trouble while swimming with those is I tend to make uneven foot power so I'm like flying sideways most of the time, which Walter said can be learnt and corrected if I spend lots of time in it. I predict that it will be the same with tradition monofin, so that's a learning process that I will encounter nevertheless. The only problem with DOL-fin is they are not within my budget, about 2 months of salary :cry: and I can get a decent motorbike to go to work with that kind of money, hehehe...

Kar, thank you so much for your elaborative guide for helping me choose either one of the Nemo or Specialfins. I think I am also slanting towards the Specialfins. Nemo was in the picture initially because of the price, which, when include shipping to my country, it is cheaper than the Specialfins, almost 100 USD cheaper. I think my location as compared to you is why it turns out that way. But I am already in touch with Karmo and he seems to have good customer service and is negotiating a pretty good deal for me.

HOWEVER, the prototype DOL-Fin Pilot, Ron was talking about was in my mind few months ago when Walter was here. Yes, Ron, I've tried that too and it's very handy that we can use the Shimano bike shoes for that. I am reconsidering that as well...hmm decision, decision...

Oh, I need to ask one more question to you Kar, if I choose Specialfins, there is an option for the neoprene wing at the side of the monofin as oppose to no wing. Karmo explains that it provides stability and it's an additional 49 euro. I have also seen a review saying that the old monofin without the wing have a tendency to break at the foot pocket. Do you think it's better to have the wing? It looks something like this:
2257_original.jpg

as oppose to this:
2166_original.jpg

Actually Radziah, there may be a prototype version of the DOL-Fin Pilot already in Malaysia that you could purchase. Contact DeepeerBlue member "wjohnson100" through a private message to see if he still has it. It went back there with him after he helped me out at my shop this summer. It was designated for the purpose of raising awareness of the DOL-Fin products in SE Asia and for its eventual sale or use as a competition prize. If he still has it you may be able to buy it and get a pretty good price compared to ordering a new X-20 from me. He splits his time between Phuket and Kuala Lumpur and I'm not sure which of those places he is at right now. If you cannot reach him, let me know your email address through PM and I'll get a hold of him for you through email.

Yes Ron, as mentioned to Kar above, I have actually tried your fins, Walter's ORCA, X-20 and also the Pilot which Walter brought here few months ago. My friend and I was discussing if we could share the budget and the fin :p but it gonna be trouble if one of us have to go elsewhere. Great products you have on the line, Ron, I just wish I earn income in USD haha, the exchange rate really amplified the price for us. I have to say that I enjoy all the times Walter let me tried all your products, it's light and not burdening my feet at all. I love that it can compact into easy to carry pieces. Walter said I just need to lessen the amplitude in my kicks and will save more energy using your fins and learn to even out my foot strength. It looks cool too, everytime Walter come to the pool, people will look and ask. :cool:

Anyway, the Pilot is still reachable with more patience in my savings as compared to Orca, I'll be in touch with Walter again if he still has it or it has become someone else's.

Regarding Specialfins, yes, I am also aware about wefreedive but I figured it's the same plus shipping and all if compared to directly buy myself. Unfortunately I didn't get to join any of their competition yet. I was there early October but not during their competition time. Also I doubt I can win any of them coz they are all so good freedivers competing there :ROFLMAO:

Thank you so much for your replies, Kar and Revan (Ron). Really great help (y)(y)(y)

...Anyway, the Pilot is still reachable with more patience in my savings as compared to Orca, I'll be in touch with Walter again if he still has it or it has become someone else's.

Regarding Specialfins, yes, I am also aware about wefreedive but I figured it's the same plus shipping and all if compared to directly buy myself. Unfortunately I didn't get to join any of their competition yet....

Watch out for the import duties. I've heard that Thailand charges 30% on dive gear. I'm not sure about Malaysia. That's what WeFreedive takes care of for you. That 30% applies to both the cost of the fin and the cost of the shipping.

A Specialfins Colored is $340 (at $1.25/Euro exchange rate). Assume at least $60 for shipping and add 30% for duties it is going to be about $500 by the time you get it in your hands. See if Walt will take that for the Pilot prototype. It doesn't have anodizing and it is used, so I'd think he would go for it, or maybe even $50 less if you don't take the shoes.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT