• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

new to training: contractions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ijchase281

Apr 29, 2014
so I'm new to training on holding my breath. I was wondering if your contractions go away or do you have to do Live with them.

To make a generalized statement... No, contractions are something that goes hand in hand with freediving and they're there to stay. That being said I should also say that everyones body operates and reacts different. Me personally my contractions do not subside and are quite intense but after pushing yourself to that point repeatedly your mind starts to register them as normal and you slowly start to become comfortable with them.

To make a generalized statement... No, contractions are something that goes hand in hand with freediving and they're there to stay. That being said I should also say that everyones body operates and reacts different. Me personally my contractions do not subside and are quite intense but after pushing yourself to that point repeatedly your mind starts to register them as normal and you slowly start to become comfortable with them.

Hey thanks for taking the time to reply. I just started training with holding my breath. I went from around a minute (which sucked ) to 2 minutes after doing some reading. Now that I know the contractions don't go away I can push my body a little more. Feel free to give me any points. They will Be well appreciate.

They become more gentle (at least, they feel less hard) after a while. When I started, I couldn't hold longer than like 2 minutes either. A few weeks doing CO2/O2 tables, about 5 tables a week, I went up to like 3'50". It's been a few months since I did a max, but >4 minutes (statics) will probably be possible. I 'm started yoga a few weeks ago and I do physical training (fitness) as well. After reading a lot on this forum, I kinda made my own training scheme, and it's very dynamic, meaning I change it whenever I feel I get the wrong reaction of my body.

I don't do many tables anymore, since I don't enjoy them (anymore), which affects performance - you get the wrong reaction (HR goes up instead of down etc). Just for good understanding: it's not because it hurts, I don't enjoy them - that really sounds way more kinky than I meant it to be. The contractions do hurt while doing tables, but if your mind is able to ignore the pain, it's pretty enjoyable (like a victory). Some day, I might do tables again, who knows...

My point being: try different trainings. O2/CO2-tables in a very relaxed environment helped a lot in the beginning for me.

They become more gentle (at least, they feel less hard) after a while. When I started, I couldn't hold longer than like 2 minutes either. A few weeks doing CO2/O2 tables, about 5 tables a week, I went up to like 3'50". It's been a few months since I did a max, but >4 minutes (statics) will probably be possible. I 'm started yoga a few weeks ago and I do physical training (fitness) as well. After reading a lot on this forum, I kinda made my own training scheme, and it's very dynamic, meaning I change it whenever I feel I get the wrong reaction of my body.

I don't do many tables anymore, since I don't enjoy them (anymore), which affects performance - you get the wrong reaction (HR goes up instead of down etc). Just for good understanding: it's not because it hurts, I don't enjoy them - that really sounds way more kinky than I meant it to be. The contractions do hurt while doing tables, but if your mind is able to ignore the pain, it's pretty enjoyable (like a victory). Some day, I might do tables again, who knows...

My point being: try different trainings. O2/CO2-tables in a very relaxed environment helped a lot in the beginning for me.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm the same way with tables I do not like doing them but I try to get to them at least three days a week and 1 max breath hold every morning right when I wake up. Pushing through your contractions is what your going to have to do but do not do it alone when you are in the water. Doesn't matter if your in the pool with lifeguards present( as most are not trained in freediving) or in the open water. If you don't have a partner then play it safe and keep it dry.

I'm the same way with tables I do not like doing them but I try to get to them at least three days a week and 1 max breath hold every morning right when I wake up. Pushing through your contractions is what your going to have to do but do not do it alone when you are in the water. Doesn't matter if your in the pool with lifeguards present( as most are not trained in freediving) or in the open water. If you don't have a partner then play it safe and keep it dry.

I do dry tables in bed. Don't like doing them to much right now. I did my 2 minute hold in water but had someone with me to watch over. I'd like to make that push for 3. I think I can knowing that my contractions won't go away.

With a little work those numbers and more are very realistic and obtainable good luck, dive safe, and have beautiful dives

Keep up the good work. Just be sure to learn to relax. I always do dry tables, never in the pool (or in any other water-environment :) ) and in the beginning, CO2 is probably the problem. In that case, CO2 tables are way more important than O2 tables or max breathholds. Anyway, it's about finding the way how to handle the CO2/contractions. I suppose it has a lot to do with relaxation. Some days, I just feel I don't have the right mindset - like when all kinds of thoughts are spinning in my head and I can't get rid of them. On these days, I don't push it. I just take it more easy, trying to 'wash/clear' my brains.

Good luck!

I do dry tables in bed. Don't like doing them to much right now. I did my 2 minute hold in water but had someone with me to watch over. I'd like to make that push for 3. I think I can knowing that my contractions won't go away.

Reactions: HydroApprentice
So just an update I did 2:30 hold and my contractions didn't start until about a 1:30 into. My friend took one of those FII freediving classes and is going to teach me some stuff so maybe I can hit 3 or 3:30.

Im still contracting hard in my early holds, maybe 40-50secs wet and dry.
I have to live with these as I push towards my present 3 min goal thats 2mins of contractions lol and its a royal pain the butt, I begin not to enjoy my holds. Does anyone else contract this early?

As I progress through cycles the contractions do begin to start later, around the 90sec mark. Im guessing its because in these stages I've started to over breath or something?

Im still contracting hard in my early holds, maybe 40-50secs wet and dry.
I have to live with these as I push towards my present 3 min goal thats 2mins of contractions lol and its a royal pain the butt, I begin not to enjoy my holds. Does anyone else contract this early?

As I progress through cycles the contractions do begin to start later, around the 90sec mark. Im guessing its because in these stages I've started to over breath or something?

I do in dynamic, I often feel the first light contractions halfway through my 2nd 25m length. I tried to make them come later with every trick i could - the only thing that delayed them was hyperventilating, but that just made them worse later on. Instead I concentrated on swimming through them and just got on with it. Some people do just have early contractions, some later and some none at all!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT