• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

new Wong speargun pics...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

speargunhunter

favorite speargun? Wong.
Jul 18, 2010
I wanted to get my fiance L.J. a Wong as a suprise gift. she is new to spearfishing and loves it. I called Daryl and he helped me choose the right gun for L.J. We chose the 50" hybrid GR with 3 9/16 bands with reel. She was sure suprised when it arrived and she found the pink Wong she had said she wanted. My ears still hurt from her screaming. lol. Mr. Wong goes way above and beyond in taking the time to help folks with the right gun choice. I will soon have him to build me another one. His work is second to none. Thanks Daryl!

Attachments

• lj Wong - Copy - Copy.jpg
    lj Wong - Copy - Copy.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 335
  • ljs Wong 2.jpg
    ljs Wong 2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Reactions: devondave and Mr. X
Daryl does do anything to please. I guess that's why I have 6 of his guns.

I used one of them, a 57" magnum hybrid, to shoot this 51 pound white sea bass this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 295
Very nice fish Bill! 6 Wongs very nice collection. your already spearing?This morning? tuesday? DUDE.... I definately have the wrong job! lol

Great post. Does your fiances Wong have a name? I think Pastor's Wong was called the Red Dragon - in Welsh:D. The Pink Lady perhaps:D? In England that might be Lady Penelope - after the Thunderbirds character. Or is that a Hawaiian name already written on the side?

[Re. the expression "give a dog a bad name" - a local game keeper called his gun dog B*st*rd and it was reputedly awful. A child recently told me to give my kayak a female name, otherwise it might sink - like the Titanic:D]

Hi mr. X, yes the name on the side is ancient hawaiian, "Malama Kai" means stewardess of the sea and/or Care for the oceans.

Malama kai more accurately translates to respect the ocean
It's actually not ancient Hawaiian either it's modern Hawaiian
I took 2 years of Hawaiian language in high school

Here's a quote from the Hawaiian Islands website "The ocean is our island state’s most important resource. More than a quarter of the sealife here is found nowhere else on the planet. So it’s important for all of us to practice an ancient Hawaiian tradition: Malama kai. That means we take care of our fragile ocean environment". unquote. I really like what the words stand for. What is REALLY cool is the foundation was started in 1990 with a $10,000 gift from Jerry Garcia (Grateful dead) I know, ill name LJ's pink wong Jerry Garcia! yea..... i bet she'll go for that one rofl

If Your interested in sustainability and the likes you should do some reaserch on the Hawaiian Ahupua`a system. Which foundation is that your talking about?

I wanted to get my fiance L.J. a Wong as a suprise gift. she is new to spearfishing and loves it. I called Daryl and he helped me choose the right gun for L.J. We chose the 50" hybrid GR with 3 9/16 bands with reel. She was sure suprised when it arrived and she found the pink Wong she had said she wanted. My ears still hurt from her screaming. lol. Mr. Wong goes way above and beyond in taking the time to help folks with the right gun choice. I will soon have him to build me another one. His work is second to none. Thanks Daryl!

Very nice gun. Sounds like it worked too hah
The "Araceli", named for my wife is a 55 GR Hybrid that Daryl just made for me. It's sitting in his shop waiting till Aug 10, when I get there for my daughter's wedding. I'm really looking forward to meeting him. Hopefully we can get out on the water.

very cool Hank! Im sure she'll love it.:) That'll be cool meeting Daryl. He sure is a nice helpful guy. They are a great gift.

Last edited:
it's not a foundation but it's a very interesting system, sorry i should have been more clear.

love the gun so much we're having him make us a 60" supermag and and another 50 gr. Cant say enough good about Daryl Wong and his guns.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT