• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

No Contractions - anyone else? How to you train?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Paisley

Aug 27, 2014
Hello,

I am still new to freediving and have PBs of: static about 3:30 and dynamic 60M

I have yet to feel a contraction.

This good I suppose but can be frustrating when everyone I train with, everything I read, etc all uses '1st contraction' as a benchmark. I have tried to just use a warm sensation in my throat or increase overall discomfort as my 'signal' but it's subjective and all over the map. (in static for example, I have signaled anywhere from 36s to nearly 2m)

So, does anyone else experience this? What do you use as your signal/benchmark/etc?

Thanks

I don't really get contractions either. My belly does sort of a slow tensing/relaxing a bit toward the end of a long breath hold but it isn't really bothersome - I just let it move as it wants. Maybe that's contractions but for me it certainly isn't like the problem I read about everywhere.
What I do feel is just a really intense "burn" in my chest and unpleasant URGE TO BREATHE!

Reactions: Paisley
I'm also don't have contraction on a full breath breath hold. However I do have them on FRC. Try to hold your breath on FRC.

I have often heard people talk about contractions and the urge as if it's the same thing. When I come out of static they ask, 'why did you come out if you don't have a contraction?' Hard to explain the forceful URGE TO BREATH (right freakin now)!!!! lol

I haven't yet with FRC at depth, but I might try some dry just to check.

I've never felt a contraction.

Though not for lack of trying :)

Contractions are weird, I can do 100+ in DNF without any real effort, but I get contractions after just 30 seconds. But funny enough, never felt the burning urge to breath that most feel. Everyone is different in this I guess.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one out there.
It's just a PIMA (pain in my ass) when training with others and when everyone talks about 'when are contractions' 'signal on contractions' 'contractions plus x time'... on and on. o_O
lol

Reactions: ruby
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one out there.
It's just a PIMA (pain in my ass) when training with others and when everyone talks about 'when are contractions' 'signal on contractions' 'contractions plus x time'... on and on. o_O
lol
@Paisley Like you, I don't get, or haven't noticed yet, contractions but one thing I do get is involuntary hand clenching which occurs at the end of empty lung or long full lung holds. Have you experienced this?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT