• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

North Wales, The Llyn & Anglesey 2014

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Broseidon

Lord of the Brocean
Aug 13, 2007
Happy New Year guys - looks like it's time for a new 2014 thread! Here's to some epic fishing over the coming year!

Well done Bro - I think I just created a duplicate forum oops!

Happy new year here is to some good fishing. Probably best to add a link onto last years forum..

image.jpg
Picky of Saturdays lunch 10 oz + plaice plenty for one .Think it's my favouite fish .Flat fish taste so good!.

Bugger new I should of gone for a looksy!.sea on the Ty-coch web cam looks great. new camera I think doesn't show the temp or viz tho! Anyone been near?Where are you boys Dyllun .Foxy.Dario.Will.Manalive.Bass debater.Jonk.Matt.Broseidon.The lurker. Spudguncat.any one left in the country?

Won't be getting in till April! Looking forward to doing a bit more this year though :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Come on Dario spill the beans are you in the states looking for BIG white bass?

Where are you boys Dyllun .Foxy.Dario.Will.Manalive.Bass debater.Jonk.Matt.Broseidon.The lurker. Spudguncat.any one left in the country?

Still lurking - it'll be mid-May before make my first trip across the mountains. I need to get a new suit as my ancient Elios has given up the ghost - it doesn't help that I'm now nearly 20kg lighter than when I ordered it - will definitely be getting a 7mm - no love for being cold! Will hopefully be getting a new boat too - nothing too exciting, just a smallish (3.2m - 3.6m) solid hull rib on a trailer to replace the inflatable I got last season.

I've got a cottage I can make use of this season so no more bloody camping, hopefully! After only making it down to the sea twice last year, I'm going to try and go as much as I can (although I always say that!). Going to hopefully coax DafyddRees out of hiding from his exile in the hideous North and have another weeklong session.

Defrosted a big bass from the freezer to feed the family on Christmas eve - my last one so I'm all out now - just a mullet and a little gilthead left.

Still lurking - it'll be mid-May before make my first trip across the mountains. I need to get a new suit as my ancient Elios has given up the ghost - it doesn't help that I'm now nearly 20kg lighter than when I ordered it - will definitely be getting a 7mm - no love for being cold! Will hopefully be getting a new boat too - nothing too exciting, just a smallish (3.2m - 3.6m) solid hull rib on a trailer to replace the inflatable I got last season.

I've got a cottage I can make use of this season so no more bloody camping, hopefully! After only making it down to the sea twice last year, I'm going to try and go as much as I can (although I always say that!). Going to hopefully coax DafyddRees out of hiding from his exile in the hideous North and have another weeklong session.

Defrosted a big bass from the freezer to feed the family on Christmas eve - my last one so I'm all out now - just a mullet and a little gilthead left.
Thanks for reply Mike that sounds great for the season ahead hope to see more of you then!. The Lurker was meant for Neil E port. Sorry for mix up. try putting them names in to PC the spell check drives you bloody bonkers!How far down is the cottage?

Ha, I'm always lurking ;)

It's near Nefyn, so not a bad spot! Fingers crossed I'll be able to leave the boat there - I'll probably do a lot of day runs in the Summer - come down at 5am, fish all day then drive home - with the odd weekend thrown in here and there. Looking forward to is already :D

Still around! Been surfing and also doing some stuff with the apneists UK club. I'm well up for a winter scalloping dive anytime things calm down in the water - not too worried about a bit of cold.

Reactions: apneaboy
Hi guys.

I registered here last year but was so busy with other commitments I never ended up getting spearfishing gear sorted but this year I'll be much more dedicated. Going to fit fins, mask etc on this Saturday and maybe get a suit sorted, hopefully a 5mm suit will be suitsble for North Wales area... Would prefer getting a custom suit but might just look at Cressi Technica for time being.

Gun wise I'll be getting a Rob Allen Carbon as I bought one while in SA but they still need to manufacture the new carbon guns. I was thinking getting a 90cm one or will I be better off with a 70 or 80, just want a good all round gun for all over the UK and the odd trip over to SA for inshore fish etc.

Anyhoos, hopefully will report back in due time with reports etc and meet up with you guys...

Regards Chris.

Hi Chris,

Most regular North Wales spearos seem to be opting for a 7mm these days, although a 5mm has done me well for the past 5 seasons - I'm getting a 7mm before this season starts. The water is a few degrees colder than down South! The Cressi suit looks good and does come in 7mm.

I've used a Rob Allen Carbon 90 and an Aluminium 70 for the past few seasons - last season I only used the 70 and was fine with it. If you're buying new guns, I'd go for a 70 and 90 in aluminium to give you some options - they're a lot cheaper than the carbon and are honestly just as good. I've had mine set up with a 7mm spear and a single 16mm band - perfect! Good luck with your first outing on the Llyn - the season really starts from May onwards.

Reactions: Pro Fisha
I would agree with Brose . On the wet suite front to be comfortable for a good few hours most of us are in 7mm and mix n match with a 5 mm when the waters warm on the rare times , very rare!That's 14mm round ya body its bliss .If your a chubby person who doesn't feel the cold ware what suites you.I know a woman who wares a t shirt n short in the sea in winter ! I'd be dead with in 3 -4 minutes! Mind you they are a different breed! I think a 75cm would be good for our waters ,one day if your lucky you might even see the pointed end!

Thanks for the replies Broseindon/denian.

Will look into the 7mm suit then, don't want to freeze my nuts off if that can be avoided. Was just thinking of overheating in the summer as I plan to paddle out to marks, but suppose those hot days are very rare.

Still undecided with the length of the gun, maybe a 80 then... What I really need is a 70, 80, 90..... But think the misses will have something to say, haha

Am I right in thinking that you guys mostly use single 16mm rubber bands over here?

Regards.

Reactions: merseyboy
You won't overheat in the Summer - if you do, you can always let a little water in - if you're paddling, you will get hot but as soon as you're in, you'll be good. Remember you'll need lots of lead - I'd go for the rubber belt / weight vest combo to spread it out.

If I had to pick a single gun, I'd go for a Rob Allen 80 Aluminium - 7mm spear with 16mm bands and a single wrap - that should be a good all rounder. The vis up here is generally not amazing although some days it can be stunning. I'd go for the closed muzzle as it's super easy to load, useful if you head out at night. I haven't seen anyone up here fishing with double bands as you just don't need the range and as the fish are very rarely over 4lbs, you don't need that much punch.

You could also check out the oceanos wetsuits - they are made to measure at a very reasonable price.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT