• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Objects found while freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Adrian

Deeper Blue Beachcomber
Supporter
Nov 23, 2002
Have you ever found anything interesting, useful or wierd while freediving? Lets see what we come up with on DB. :cool:

I've found an alpha flag that is now attached to my float, a 2 kg weight, a necklace made of rotting nuts, - looked like ambar from above - and today, this thing in the attached photograph that looks as if it fell off a boat.

A friend once found a cellular phone and some euro bills floating around...

Adrian

On my way out to shoot dinner, I saw a dollar in about 15 feet. A few hours later, on the way in, it turned out to be a twenty.
Swam around a reef in forty feet once and there was a Nikonos sitting on the sand all set to go.
Lots of equipment over the years and one knife from a big company that must have had a lousy holder. After I had four or five, I stopped picking them up.
I don't know if it counts but on the swim back to the boat, there was a mortally wounded thirty pound Halibut just waiting for me. My buddy tried to claim that it was his.
Nice memories to make up for the fact that I couldn't clear yesterday at 45 meters.
Bill

Last edited:
At an underwater clean-up of a lake, my friend Stephanie found a shiny new red bicycle at 14m. Efattah brought up a car tire from 27m, I found cell phones, strange old bottles, chairs,... it's odd the way people abandon things when they go overboard.

Once I helped a lady find her anchor in 15m of water and for my efforts she gave me two bottles of homemade wine and a case of beer. I gave the beer away and kept the wine. It was nice! :p

Pete
Vancouver, BC

Personally I have not found anythign too exciting. Pole spear, mask, tires, fins, and even a scuba tank that was starting to oxidize and grow coral. My friend did find and unexploded bomb near one of his secret Ulua caves though :duh . I wonder if Uncle Sam will give us a case of beer for returning one of his bombs :hmm .

Brad

One, new, 5 kg Danforth type anchor. One, fairly new, seven lb. folding PWC/kayak type anchor. Numerous other anchors, most too big for me to pick up. Various rods and reels, most had been in the water too long and were junk and last Sunday I found a nice Casio watch that still worked. After scrubbing off the marine growth and putting a new band on it, I figure the old band was why the guy that had it before me didn't have it anymore, it looks like it's going to be a nice watch.:)

When I was in highschool I found In the Galilee lake about two dozens of transparent plastic sandals scattered around half barried in the sand, from baby size to basketball player's size. was without a mask and snorkel.

When freediving I found mostly beer cans and bottles, sometimes with a little fishy inside.

I would'nt touch any unexploded bombs down there Brad...:)

Was scuba-diving at 33m where apearnlty our army disposed of alot of old east-european made ammunition and explosives, probably discarded 30-40 years ago. some more bad karma for the army...:naughty
Atleast They don't do it now days.

So far I never found a 'keeper'. :(
Still dreaming of some shiney suunto D3 beckoning me from 30m down. :D

Adrain, that thing is the top half of a bell from a bike :)

i've found a golf ball roling around the reef. also found an aluminium mast from a small sail-boat. no sign of the boat though:hmm

Loopy, that thing Adrian has a picture of is the side plate off a D.A.M. Quick casting reel, but right off the top of my head I don't know which model. I've been looking for a picture of it and can't seem to find it.:)

Originally posted by loopy
Adrain, that thing is the top half of a bell from a bike :)

The Jolly Green Giant's bike! rofl
It's about 13.5 cm in diameter and weighs 900 grams. I might use it as a candle holder.

Spearslinger, I found it in an area where boats tie up to buoys so it could have dropped if someone was cleaning the fishing equipment. Some of the boats are quite large.

Adrian

Last edited:
i also found a golfball, which is now the handle of my scuba jacket. i found a working watch by Jaques Lemans that i wear every day and a pair of brandnew oakleys ... unfortunatly i lost them again, when i went swimming one day ... maybe they are right on the nose of another freediver right now!

Reactions: donmoore
I have found lots of things over the years from a combination of scuba/freedivng

masks and snorkles
fins
weightbelts
speartips
dive knives- lots of these
dead cats with rocks tied to them
shopping carts
tools
bottles/cans/glasses
sunglasses
anchors
fishing poles
BIG anchors are now donated to the city marina:D
A complete set of scuba gear- got a dinner and drinks for that one
park benches
boats
rudders/ propellers
dive lights- lots of these too
wallets
cash
jewelry
55 gallon drums filled with oil and tied to the bottom-long story
depth guage
crowbar- 4 footer!
bras/underwear/t-shirts/shorts- looked like it was a good time!:D
tackle boxes
bicycles
garbage cans
golfballs
car batteries- over 17 of them in a row dumped by fishermen
1/2 full bottle of wine- didn't trust it enough to drink it
hand held marine radios
filet knives
engine timing light
scuba tank- with air still in it

Jon

Last edited:
Originally posted by Jon
I have found lots of things over the years from a combination of scuba/freedivng

dead cats with rocks tied to them

Jon

rofl rofl rofl Now that's a find!

I've found lots of stuff over the years, quite a number of goat carcasses from beach Kapsa's, and a Flight Deck Helmet from a US aircraft Carrier are probably the strangest.

13.5 cm diameter? My bad. Much too big to be a casting reel. I should have asked about that before I made that last post.:head It's the side plate off a trolling or bottomfishing reel.:)

Even though I pick a few up for the kids to play with, I don't count golfballs. Around here golfballs are so prevalent they seem to be part of the natural marine environment. Kind of like saying, "I found 500 sea urchins today.":D

Last edited:
Found a single engine plane broken up over about 1/8 of a mile strecth w/ the fuselage a wings mostly intact.

Also found a very nice engraved silver serving tray.

Both in the Bahamas.

I have found some weights and glasses anchors.. but the sadest and funniest was spearing target bottle that hung from 5Kg weight at around -15m...that I had left there about a week ago.. I just couldn't find it when I sunk it.. I didn't realize that it went so deep.. but luckily next time on the same spot I ended up finding it.. :confused:

I also once found diving elephant .. (German diver with double tanks and dry suit.. and well about 150kg of weight equipment excluded, trying to dive.. I laughed and got salt water in my mask..) :eek:

Pekka

Interesting thread. I will enjoy reading this one. :)

I myself have so far found a golfball, broken hockeystick and a half eaten hotdog. Of these three objects, I choose to keep the golfball. And no, the hotdog would not have been my second choice.

We found a 10mm automatic machine gun at Ansell point!

It was off the edge of a high cliff where tourists often go. It was in a commonly dived place and looked fresh. Must have been a murder weapon thrown into the ocean.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Originally posted by efattah
Must have been a murder weapon thrown into the ocean.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Interesting and scary at the same time...

I think I'll turn into a treasure hunter, latest underwater aquisitions: an anchor (9kg) and a grand total of 3.10 euros gleaming in the sand. But I hate the way the water makes a one euro piece look like 2 euros!

Adrian

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT