• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

OMER Cayman E.T Roller 85

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

arrowloopboy

Jul 14, 2012
Anyone held /inspected/used one of these babies ,i'm thinking of adding one to the armoury :inlove,but at 300 euro,i'd like to know if their well balanced and what kind of range i'd be getting ,before I raid the chaps piggy bank:t.

Cheers,

Arrow.

Arrow,
Not held one in the flesh but was on my hit list recently. What I did gleam;
The Black Omer finish is not very robust, go for the camo if available (as I have) and no probs.
I believe early E.T's had an issue with the spear shark fins coming loose(?) Might be worth checking its resolved.
You probably know this but, bear in mind with the E.T although it is meant to reduce shaft whip, you don't want to be taking shots at anything if the full length of the spear cannot be released from the gun (bent spear, enclosed rail - not good). This is a down side to a 'open' band gun.
Accepting the above generic enclosed problem I ended up going for the Airbalete with dry barrel and absolutely love it.
Hope this gives you some help.
Dave

Super smooth action, very different concept. Accurate beyond belief, but needs careful set up IMO.

Attachments

• OmerGunsJuly13.JPG
    OmerGunsJuly13.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 443
Super smooth action, very different concept. Accurate beyond belief, but needs careful set up IMO.

I've been thinking about getting one of these as well, can you give us some more information about setting them up please, also do you sell them or can you tell us how much they cost...best I#ve seen so far is on the Apnea store.

Sell them ?. Friend of mine and I bought 2 from contacts we have in France.
Used them over last 2 days, for both day and night dives in Pembs.

Pro's:
1) Super smooth shaft release with no recoil
2) Tracks well horizontally
3) Easy aim open muzzle
4) Excellent shaft runner integration

Cons:
1) Very nose heavy. Will need to add a cork IMO
2) Double loop nylon a pain to arrange quickly
3) Low on power unless you half load then fully load. (Will explain).
4) Way too expensive IMO @ E300
5) You will need to customize by adding bungie at front end

To half load, you will need to:
1) Pull back half way underneath barrel then...
2) pull back half way ontop of barrel then...
3) Pull back 100% to nearest notch to trigger mech underneath, then...
4) Pull back 100% to last notch on spear on top of barrel

That is a pain, especially when you need to load quickly in kelp IMO.

For me the Cayman HF I've been using is the better gun at the moment. Less faff and for me more accurate, probably becuase I'm used to it.

Honestly.....save your money.

Reactions: Mr. X
Honest report there Robbo!
I am surprised you need 4 x pulls to get full power, the only ones I have tried (home built) needed only one or two actions!

Sell them ?. Friend of mine and I bought 2 from contacts we have in France.
Used them over last 2 days, for both day and night dives in Pembs.

Pro's:
1) Super smooth shaft release with no recoil
2) Tracks well horizontally
3) Easy aim open muzzle
4) Excellent shaft runner integration

Cons:
1) Very nose heavy. Will need to add a cork IMO
2) Double loop nylon a pain to arrange quickly
3) Low on power unless you half load then fully load. (Will explain).
4) Way too expensive IMO @ E300
5) You will need to customize by adding bungie at front end

To half load, you will need to:
1) Pull back half way underneath barrel then...
2) pull back half way ontop of barrel then...
3) Pull back 100% to nearest notch to trigger mech underneath, then...
4) Pull back 100% to last notch on spear on top of barrel

That is a pain, especially when you need to load quickly in kelp IMO.

For me the Cayman HF I've been using is the better gun at the moment. Less faff and for me more accurate, probably becuase I'm used to it.

Honestly.....save your money.

Thanks Robbo,that sounds a lot like work:hmm,alot of my hunting is in 3/4 ft of water in heavy string,i.e lots of stuff to get tangled in,what length and what range are you getting,i was thinking of an 85.

Thanks Robbo,that sounds a lot like work:hmm,alot of my hunting is in 3/4 ft of water in heavy string,i.e lots of stuff to get tangled in,what length and what range are you getting,i was thinking of an 85.

No string weed here of any substance, normally have best exults at 5 mts - 10 mts in the kelp gullies.

Anyhow...forget the gun, get yourself up to North Wales for some serious lobstering at night...;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 380
For string weed hunting your best bet is to use a short powerful gun .. a dry barrel airgun is fantastic for this style of hunting as it has very little to catch in the weed & will send the spear straight through a fish at close range.
Best to have the fish on the line rather than the spear as there is less chance of it ripping off!
Also... adapt you whole kit to suit... sinking short fins fins will help no end, ankle weights are great too & lots of waist weight to sink your body & keep you head at a better angle to hunt.

When I seen two in the picture and one of them still in the wrapping I was wondering if you were a dealer that sold them. Thanks for explaining your experience with them Robbo, I have a Seatec roller 75 and like Foxfish it only takes 1-2 actions to load it. The double wrap can be a pain as there is more line to get tangled and it takes a little bit longer to wrap it twice...but its necessary to get the extra distance.

The reason I was looking at this one is that some of the fish I am hunting are just out of range for the XXV 75 that I normally hunt with, I wanted something that would get me 3-4 metres comfortably and probably put the spear through the fish. I have an old 90 that does the job but I'm finding it not all that accurate especially if I load it right back to the first notch nearest the trigger and the recoil is quiet strong. I was going to get rid of the 75 roller and 90 and just get a single 85 roller to replace them.
I really like the roller concept so I guess I'm looking for the right roller for the right money. I've seen the Omer 85 roller for £207 which is not cheap but not much more than a good band gun.

I find my xxv muzzle heavy as well, even when I changed the setup to a single band instead of the two bands on the swinging arm it still was a little unbalanced but I do really like the gun and its consistently very accurate...like you said about the Cayman HF, the roller might just take a bit of getting used to.

Hi Robbo,

Well I went ahead and got the Omer Roller 85 and had my first go at rigging and using it today. I think the gun is great...I find it very accurate and very powerful. The 14mm bands I thought might be a bit underpowered but they sent the spear out to the end of the double wrap with a nice tug on the bungee at the end. I think I have the answer for your loading concerns and I've managed to load it in 1 smooth action.

1) I only need to secure the pre-tensioning cord to whichever notch required underneath the gun and then leave it there (for full power it will be the one nearest the trigger guard)

2) By tying on an extra 'loop' of cord (see photos) just before the main cord knots, you can use this with one hand to grip and pull back on the bands just far enough to get your free hand on to a band and hold it until you can grip the other band.

3) You should now be able to pull back and load it to whichever notch you require in one action. It didn't take long to get the hang of wrapping the shooting line quickly and it only takes a second or two to pull back the bands.

With all that power, shooting mullet at a few metres away sent the spear and line right through the fish and I had to unclip the shooting line and pull that through the fish which took a bit longer to put it back on the clip. I'll use less power by only loading to the second notch on the spear and see if that helps next time.

...hope this helps.

Attachments

• Roller1.jpg
    Roller1.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 406
  • Roller2.jpg
    Roller2.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 457
Reactions: Mr. X
Hi Robbo,

Well I went ahead and got the Omer Roller 85 and had my first go at rigging and using it today. I think the gun is great...I find it very accurate and very powerful. The 14mm bands I thought might be a bit underpowered but they sent the spear out to the end of the double wrap with a nice tug on the bungee at the end. I think I have the answer for your loading concerns and I've managed to load it in 1 smooth action.

1) I only need to secure the pre-tensioning cord to whichever notch required underneath the gun and then leave it there (for full power it will be the one nearest the trigger guard)

2) By tying on an extra 'loop' of cord (see photos) just before the main cord knots, you can use this with one hand to grip and pull back on the bands just far enough to get your free hand on to a band and hold it until you can grip the other band.

3) You should now be able to pull back and load it to whichever notch you require in one action. It didn't take long to get the hang of wrapping the shooting line quickly and it only takes a second or two to pull back the bands.

With all that power, shooting mullet at a few metres away sent the spear and line right through the fish and I had to unclip the shooting line and pull that through the fish which took a bit longer to put it back on the clip. I'll use less power by only loading to the second notch on the spear and see if that helps next time.

...hope this helps.

I'll second all that,its basically as easy to load/rig as a regular band gun ,but with a lot more range/knock down power,its an awesome piece of kit.Its a wonder that omer didn't think of the second loop of string.

Your first aid skills are top class too, thanks for that.

I'll second all that,its basically as easy to load/rig as a regular band gun ,but with a lot more range/knock down power,its an awesome piece of kit.Its a wonder that omer didn't think of the second loop of string.

No problem Arrow...accidents will happen :blackeye

I've seen that loop on other rollers and it definitely makes things easier. I just had a look at the pictures included with the manual on the disc. It shows how they suggest you load it and it is as Robbo66 describes...but I don't think they meant you had to repeatedly load the pre-tensioner each time, its not very clear. If Omer need some good photos and a comprehensive manual without any ambiguity I know a really good photographer/manual writer in Ireland that could use a trip to Italy and some new Omer toys :)

Actually, just to add to the loading technique with the 'loop', my arms are not the longest and I like to load the gun using the chest plate on my wetsuit...to achieve this I hold the loop with my left hand and push the gun forward and up on to the loading plate with my right hand and let it rest there...then I reach forward with my right hand, grip and hold the right side band and then follow with my left hand for the left side band. Now its just a matter of pulling the bands back with equal pressure until you reach the desired sharkfin.

Next year I want to organise a topic regarding lung volumes,oxygen transport and gas exchange hyperventilation and heart rate.should be an advanced aspect of freediving and human body response to it....

Good info there Derek, just how muzzle heavy is the 85?

I find its about the same as the XXV 75 with a 6.75mm spear on it instead of the the normal 6.25mm. It would tire your hand over an extended session, I might add some small amount of counterweight at the loading butt and try a cork in the second band hole on the muzzle.

Vasile, some info on the basics would be useful as well as maybe suggesting a kit to keep in your dive bag or car for emergency first aid such as bandages, antiseptic wipes etc. its easy enough to get small puncture wounds and lacerations with rocks, broken glass etc.

Hi Derek,
Great write up there. Have indeed taken on board your suggestion of the extra loop to avoid loading in essence, 4 times !, as shown in the vid.
Got rolled over a rock in some decent swell on Thursday and managed to drop and lose my Cayman HF25, which remained the best 75cm gun I've ever owned. First lost gun in 18 years, so not to be bad a record...still massively incompetent though !.
Been semi forced to use the Omer Roller and did well with it yesterday. I have corked up the barrel as tracking and general aiming remain poor with such a heavy head. Made a big difference.
Still think the roller mech is just too big and cumbersome.
If your fishing L'indian and yo arrive vertical with a fish moving away in kelp, very difficult to sweep smoothly and quickly without the front end jigging and yawing to track it.
Reckon this gun, with a bit more thought, could have been epic. As it is, we all need to mod it slightly which seems at odds for such an expensive gun.

I guess due to the simple fact there are two rollers & a load of double rubber around the muzzle, the shorter guns will always be difficult to balance & fast track.
I can imagine a more bulky mid handle design would make a great roller gun but you wouldn't take a 50cal into the jungle you would use it from the rooftops!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT