• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Philippine spearfishermen

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Just got back from 2 months fishing in Northern Luzon. Here's a link to a UTUBE video highlighting some of what I caught this year and last.

UTUBE LINK

Everything I catch is eaten before sunset by relatives. The reef like most has been destroyed and over fished for years but that makes catching fish that much more challenging.

Reactions: diver278
Hi glockerjax. So you're based in Manila. Where do you usually go to spearfish? Any trips planned?

Hi baja5. Yes im from Manila. We usually dive at malabrigo lobo Batangas area.. 3-4 hrs drive. Its Spearfishing friendly area. Also, Its reasonably ok for the distance. As of now, No dive plans yet.. How about you? :)

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

I usually go to cebu to spearfish. Would like to check out your dive sites though. Does your group use scuba or freedive?

Cool! Which part of cebu do you spearfish? You'll be disappointed with Batangas area compared to cebu. But its the reasonably best nearest manila. I do freedive.. Where are you based baja5?

I took my first free diving course win Cebu this past Feb. I asked the Instructor where would be a good spot to spearfish as he is an avid spear. He discouraged it and said that they don't do much on Cebu and suggested a couple of other destination. The were further away and he mostly hunts big pelagic fish. I am happy to fish for smaller game but he was unhelpful in pointing to local spots. I went to Puerto Galeria also and as with any of the major dive resort area they down right frown on spearfishing. Yes locals do it and I did mange to tag along with a group. I didn't bring my own speargun with be because I feared the Port Authority my take offense. I have not tested the tolerance level of such entry though. Baja5 where in Cebu to you fish? I hunt mostly on the reef in front of my house in Ilocos Sur. Scarce game but after taking my first free diving course in Cebu upon return I caught 5 five of the bigger fish patrolling our coast line because of increased bottom time and applying a few techniques give to me by my instructor. I successfully was certified Level II AIDA (My third static breath hold on the first day was 5 minutes and 2 seconds) Not bad for a guy 64. The instructor told me I was the oldest student he has had.

Here is a picture of me in front of my house overlooking the beach and some fish I caught upon return the first day
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Reactions: diver278
Glockerjax, we have different sites around cebu and mactan away from the usual scuba dive sites, since my group use tanks. There are groups who freedive and we all know each other as well. I'm also based in Manila and would sure like to check out spearfishing sites here, though I'm not so sure about freediving. Nickmal, nice catch! You sure are lucky to get to dive whenever you want.

Nice job Nickmal looks like you have it made there. Also what thickness wetsuit do you use?

Nice job Nickmal looks like you have it made there. Also what thickness wetsuit do you use?
Just a Lycra /Henderson. Water is alway warm. 3mm would be way to hot some times a 1.5 might be good during cooler months. I usually get up around 6:30am go Fishing at 7:00am return at 11:30am. I take a nap and go again at 3:00pm to about 6:00pm. So I am in the water quite a bit and occasionally it can get a tad cool but up until now I have manned up in my lycra suit. I do wear a 2mm beanie that helps and protects mostly wear the suit for sun protection.

Just a Lycra /Henderson. Water is alway warm. 3mm would be way to hot some times a 1.5 might be good during cooler months. I usually get up around 6:30am go Fishing at 7:00am return at 11:30am. I take a nap and go again at 3:00pm to about 6:00pm. So I am in the water quite a bit and occasionally it can get a tad cool but up until now I have manned up in my lycra suit. I do wear a 2mm beanie that helps and protects mostly wear the suit for sun protection.

Ah ok. I have a Lycra but didn't use it last time I was home in Dapitan I used a 1mm shorty. Water temp was 83 degrees at 53 ft. What size spear gun do you use for reef hunting ?

Glockerjax, we have different sites around cebu and mactan away from the usual scuba dive sites, since my group use tanks. There are groups who freedive and we all know each other as well. I'm also based in Manila and would sure like to check out spearfishing sites here, though I'm not so sure about freediving. Nickmal, nice catch! You sure are lucky to get to dive whenever you want.
Hi Glockerjax
I'll be in Manila on the 5-6 Aug and I'm looking to hook up with someone for a spearfishing trip. I'm from South Africa and don't mind to bring some gear with me seeing that gear is so scarce in Phillipines. Anyone interested contact me on robert.trautman@vodamail.co.za.

Hi Robert,
No good spots near Manila. Batangas is best bet but still no good. Which part of Philippines are you staying long? Maybe i can help u/hook up with pinoy spearos.. For good dive and spot :)

Do you have facebook? Add me up. ill add you up in our group.

Jacques Jose

So I'm headed back to the Philippines in January and was wondering if anyone uses slip tip or just flippers on there spearguns.

Ok so I headed back to the Philippines again and would like to know what size shaft is best for a 130cm gun 6.5mm or 7mm.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT