• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Philippine spearfishermen

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Are there any scuba spearfishing groups in the Bohol/Cebu area? Are there any guides that will take hunters out? I'd like to make contact.

Thanks,

Lee

hi guys im a local of the island, i would like to ask if is it true about baracudas have poison ??? ive catch one last week about 15kilos .ty

Last edited:
Hi Ty,

I've heard of visas having poison in it's system. I've also spoke to someone who said he eat them all the time with no problems. Where in the Philippines are you spearing?

Lee
Posted via Mobile Device

Earl1220i,

Barracudas sometimes have some sort of bacteria on them, not poison. I have taken a lot barracuda and they taste great. But one must make sure that it is cooked well, just to be on the safe side.

Pinoy Sniper

Barracuda or other reef predators (grouper, snapper, moray eels) can accumulate the toxin produced by a dinoflagellate. Reef fish like surgeon fish eat this and the predators eat them building the toxin up in their system. It's called Ciguatera. It's serious and can mess you up for a long time.

I lived in the Philippines for 11 years back in the 80s and 90s. Love the place. Lived near Iloilo and dived the southwest area of Panay.

Earl1220i,

Barracudas sometimes have some sort of bacteria on them, not poison. I have taken a lot barracuda and they taste great. But one must make sure that it is cooked well, just to be on the safe side.

Pinoy Sniper

Carefull: in case you are also talking about Ciguatera:
"Ciguatoxin is very heat-resistant, so ciguatoxin-laden fish cannot be detoxified by conventional cooking." ([ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciguatera]Ciguatera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame])

I stand corrected. That toxin is also present in barracuda as well as other reef fish.

Thanks for the correction, wdaf and hank49.

Pinoy Sniper

Last edited:
I stand corrected. That toxin is also present in barracuda as well as other reef fish.

Thanks for the correction, wdaf and hank49.

Pinoy Sniper

Where are you located? I have a very good friend, Boy Saldana, who owns a little dive camp thedivehouse.com on the southwest tip of Panay. There is a little island there called Nogas and it's an active spot. The point of Panay sticks out into the Sulu sea and there's a deep underwater ledge dropping off at a rock sticking up called Piedra Blanca. I'll be back there in a year or two. Will be hooking up with Boy in Hawaii in Aug. Getting a new gun from Dr Wong and hope to go out with him and try it out.

wdaf: I used to run a shrimp hatchery in Punta Engano, Mactan right next to an Aboitiz house out there. (they weren't the friendliest of neighbors) I used to free dive out intake pipe going out into the channel on the side facing Bohol. Nice.

Last edited:
hank49,

I am in Manila. My recent dives and spearfishing activities were in Coron, at the northern tip of Palawan. I maintained a fishcage there until about a year ago. Like most Filipino spearfishermen, I use a Riffe - a Competitor #3. It is small enough for reef work, of which most of my spearfishing takes place and just about adequate for some bigger blue water fish if used with a heavier spearshaft and head. I am quite careful in shot placement as I do not use bungie lines, floats or reels.

I have not dived Panay - yet. Lately, I have travelled to Mindanao and hope to spearfish there, if plans go well. If you are in Manila, give me a shout here and we can meet up.

Pinoy Sniper

Hi guys,

I'll be in the philippines from December 7th to some time in January, landing in Cebu, and looking for buddies for deep dives / fun diving. I wouldn't mind going spearfishing as well.

I dive to 91m in constant weight with fins, happy to provide some coaching in exchange for safety!

Cheers,
Tanguy
Web: Learn to Freedive
Blog: Splash

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I'll be in the philippines from December 7th to some time in January, landing in Cebu, and looking for buddies for deep dives / fun diving. I wouldn't mind going spearfishing as well.

I dive to 91m in constant weight with fins, happy to provide some coaching in exchange for safety!

Cheers,
Tanguy
Web: Learn to Freedive
Blog: Splash

you didn't mention fees even in your blog.

I teach courses while in Australia but am just looking to train and do some fun diving in the philippines, so looking for dive buddies! And if someone dives to 30+m and wants to go deeper, I can trade safety on my dives for coaching/safety on theirs! and if the coaching's good you can also get me a beer ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi Tanguy,

Active freedivers in Moalboal ...
Andrew 50m CWT will be here at that time.
Jussi, Tom and myself will come back to Moalboal on the 14th.

I allowed myself to post your message on the Facebook Group:
"Freediving and Spearfishing in the Philippines"
There you also find the FB connections to the persons above.

Cheers,
Wolfgang

Last edited:
just search in Facebook for freediving and Philippines.
you will find "Wolfgang Dafert" - thats me ;-)
and the group
"Freediving and Spearfishing in the Philippines"
You also find my contact details on my website (link below in the signature)

Jussi is coming over? Cool! Cheers for the heads-up!

a bit more than "coming over" ;-)
Jussi lives in Moalboal, Cebu, Philippines again and is my new neighbor at Casa Stan.
You find "Chicka Chicka" (translation: small talk) about what is happening regarding freediving/freedivers in Moalboal, Cebu in my newsletters. The old newsletters can be found on my website in the Newsletter-Archive.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT