• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Philippine spearfishermen

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Ahoy sir! I'm really interested of buying a riffe a long long time ago, thnx for posting! You maybe the answer to my prayers!!! Lol!!! In fact i've been searching a lot of dive shop in makati and they all turn me down! Can you help me sir? Please.........

Search for the "Freediving and Spearfishing in the Philippines" facebook forum. the Riffe dealer from manila posted there.

Hi guys!

Im planning to fly to Cebu in the begining of february and im not planning to stay in one place.
I wanna look around and dive around...ill have a Ulusub gun 165 with 3 bands that works good midrange and blue water.

Is anyone there in that period? or anyone who lives there wants to show me around?
Ill be traveling with my girlfriend ...swedish, long, blonde :))

Ill appreciate any tips about places to go and to hunt...Im thinking about smaller islands,maybe not so touristy .

Thanks

Hi Alex,

i replied already by PM also.
In case your travel date is flexible ... March 31/April 1, 2012 will be the first freediving competition in the Philippines.
It is held in Moalboal, Cebu.

There are always 2-4 Freedivers in Moalboal, and from March,2012 on there
will be 5-10 freedivers here to dive/train and enjoy the Philippines.

Cheers,

Wolfgang

PS: being in the Media ... about 10 typhoons hit the Philippines each year. Most in the north, but we here in the central islands are very protected. We were even training while the bad weather was around since we have a protected deep bay.

Hi Alex, Long gun and a tall girl brought to Phils will not make you happy: no fish to shoot and too much locals will put your mind in trouble. Bring both to Bali!
Spearfishing in Phils is left to locals who are prepared to go extra mile to spearfish.

Hi Alex, Long gun and a tall girl brought to Phils will not make you happy: no fish to shoot and too much locals will put your mind in trouble. Bring both to Bali!
Spearfishing in Phils is left to locals who are prepared to go extra mile to spearfish.

Yes, i know the problem that some foreigners have bad experience fishing here.

Yes, it is often overfished, but that makes it only more challenging.

I myself fish since 6 years in the Philippines. Respecting local traditions, laws and sanctuaries + sharing fish and often using local fisherman as boatman i got plenty of fish and friends here.

Thats also why whenever i go fishing with guests of mine they HAVE to make a "local spearfishing orientation" with me to avoid any problems and be successful in fishing.

- target and non target species
- freediving safety procedures
- laws and regulations
- local marine environment
- where to find good fishing spots
- first aid for marine related injuries
- local interaction guidelines
- PR

Education is for me the key to success to solve many problems.

It also helps to dive deeper and longer, but you dont have to be a world champion to catch those kind of fish :)

Herbert_with_fish.JPG

@vamforce ... there is still plenty of fish to share :) Especially the blue water hunting potential is still much unexplored by spearos.

There will be a blue water hunting fishing trip posted on my website soon. (Wahoo, Mahi Mahi guarantee :) )

wdaf,

Good to know that you are based in Cebu and support the local freediving spearos there. You know that most spearfishermen use scuba here (including myself) and there is a lack of freediving training in the Philippines. I hope to see more freedivers who are also spearfishermen in the near future. With over 7,100 islands, there will be no lack of diving spots and fish. Discovering them is half the fun! Safe diving.

Pinoy Sniper

Hi Guys,

yes, its hard to get fish in the Philippines.
... hard to find good spots.
... many scuba spearos.
... not enough freediving education

Solution:

FilmstripSpearfishing_small.jpg
(left and middle: the first ever catch of former students that got instructed by Wolfgang - right: Herbert Nitsch self instructed :) with a 25kg GT

More Infos: Spearfishing Beginner Course

Out freediving and spearing the other day when i assume the locals started using dynamite. Strange to hear and feel underwater. Didn't see them actually doing it, but not sure what else can make that type of noise and pressure.

Anyways, new to the sport just built my gun here and began gathering as much info i can about diving safely. My dive buddy has more experience diving and spearing so learning the basics from him. Were up in Northern Luzon exploring for new spots. Met a group of locals that do regular night diving with the homemade spears. Might follow them out one night.

WADF, i've been snooping around your site quite a bit in the last few weeks. I might try to meet you in Camiguin in May for the Beg freedive course. My travel date and times are not certain, but im looking to make it. Also want to get to Palawan and Cebu while im in the Visayas.

Also in our place locals go at nighttime. They mostly catch sleeping parrot fishes for their livelyhood.

I know here is a healthy population of tuna and MahiMahi (dorado) in the area. But don,t know what they pull in. They mentioned reef sharks, but their guns aren't strong enough to penetrate. Also their shooting line is no more than an 18" piece of shoe string so i would hat to have an irritated shark on the end or that.

spearfishing argao...
if your are looking for a place to spearfish in Cebu, i can recommend the place...and that is argao cebu...
spearfishing argao...

by the way poacher, in case you accidentally bump on this site again...i would like to inform you that that i knew some if not all of the spearfishers that you were posing with..if im not mistaken that location would be in bais negros oriental.

for your information that guy who holds two small fishes with a speargun is the creator of all my spearguns...he creates a homemade speargun worthy of recommendation...

ive been using all his creation and it never disappoints me...its accurate and if you will use the right rubber tubing it could reach even the illusive king fish...

the guy's name is bangas...

i am planning to build a spearfishing store in argao...for all those spearos who wants an underwater adventure, be my guest in argao...

Yeap u were wright, the Phillippines were not what i expected, almost no fish to shoot, overpopulated and dirty or better said filthy. Huge areas of coral reefs destroyed by dynamite fishing and such.
And like that's not enough the locals are trying to take your money and overcharge everything.
For those of you who havent been there i DONT recommend it.
I've been in Indonesia and it was much better.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT