• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Places to fish near Swanage

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

molva

Oct 22, 2007
Hi,

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Swanage this weekend. We'd like to do a bit of spearing (weather permitting!) Can anyone recommend sites nearby? Preferably shore access though we've got a battered squidgie that might be still seaworthy.

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Swanage this weekend. We'd like to do a bit of spearing (weather permitting!) Can anyone recommend sites nearby? Preferably shore access though we've got a battered squidgie that might be still seaworthy.

Thanks for the help!
You could try PM'ing Milk_man, he spears round that area. I was planning to explore the area this year - thought I noticed a reef off the main beach (I might be wrong though). The bay visible beyond (east) is a popular angling mark -- bit of a yomp along the beach, the boat might help. The head at the other end of Swanage (forget the name) might be worth a look - watch out for currents. Or the pier if there aren't too many anglers around (a scuba diver friend dives round there sometimes). If you go to nearby Durlston Park, there is Tilly Whim. If more adventurous, you could try further along under the Swanage cliffs, Dancing Ledges, etc. the boat might be handy, if sea worthy & conditions are flat. A little further around, you could try Kimmeridge - the main bay is a often a bit too shallow, but either side is probably worth a look, it has a slipway too. If the wind is up from the S or SW, you might need to stay in Swanage for shelter...the south coast is fairly exposed. Let us know how you get on;).

Last edited:
35-45pmh gale force southerly winds forecast for Dorset this weekend. might be better staying at home!

Yeah, I saw the forecast. Maybe I'll leave it for this weekend! Cheers for the info though, I'll give it a go when the weather's a bit kinder. At least it give me a chance to work on the boat. Well, gives him a chance to work on the boat!

You could try PM'ing Milk_man, he spears round that area. I was planning to explore the area this year - thought I noticed a reef off the main beach (I might be wrong though). The bay visible beyond (east) is a popular angling mark -- bit of a yomp along the beach, the boat might help. The head at the other end of Swanage (forget the name) might be worth a look - watch out for currents. Or the pier if there aren't too many anglers around (a scuba diver friend dives round there sometimes). If you go to nearby Durlston Park, there is Tilly Whim. If more adventurous, you could try further along under the Swanage cliffs, Dancing Ledges, etc. the boat might be handy, if sea worthy & conditions are flat. A little further around, you could try Kimmeridge - the main bay is a often a bit too shallow, but either side is probably worth a look, it has a slipway too. If the wind is up from the S or SW, you might need to stay in Swanage for shelter...the south coast is fairly exposed. Let us know how you get on;).

All good info Mr.X! Hi, Molva, in general swanage is very good for spearfishing, it is protected from westerly winds and has viz when exposed spots do not. My advice is to jump in if it looks good as it probably is! A couple of caveats though: there is a race off Peveril Point (visible behind the pier as you look east towards the Isle of Wight) often very choppy with breaking waves...that is because of the current. VERY FIERCE, do not try to spearfish there. Tilly Whim can be downright dangerous in any form of swell. Check here Bournemouth Area Reefs Surf Report, Surf Forecast and Surf Webcams
before you go and if the swell is over 1 foot, don't bother, unless you enjoy being smashed into limestone cliffs! There are also strong currents that switch direction with the ebb and flow, so don't tire yourself out as you may end up finning against a very strong flow to get back to the water exit/entry point so be careful. The pier holds fish, but DO NOT SPEAR there if there are tank divers in the water - it causes a lot of bad blood. Beware boat traffic -very busy all times of year so use a float, and be extra aware.

Also, if you explore the area a bit, there are secret gems to be had ;)

Enjoy!

... The pier holds fish, but DO NOT SPEAR there if there are tank divers in the water - it causes a lot of bad blood.
Good point. The guy I know who dives there is 6' 2" & heavily built (250-300lb?) -- you wouldn't want to spear him (but if you did, might make catch of the month!).

Swanage, lovely place. But Brighton and Sussex has some of the best spearing to offer in the whole country. (when there is not a 6cm of snow on the ground)

Kev (member Sussex spearfishing club.)

Swanage, lovely place. But Brighton and Sussex has some of the best spearing to offer in the whole country. (when there is not a 6cm of snow on the ground)

Kev (member Sussex spearfishing club.)
..and Bognor?

Mr X, Bognor is a national treasure that should not be spoken about openly.

Regards Kev

Good point. The guy I know who dives there is 6' 2" & heavily built (250-300lb?) -- you wouldn't want to spear him (but if you did, might make catch of the month!).

haha, yeah! Also in my experience, divers are interested in looking at fish, not spearing them, and they really HATE spearos for that reason. It's misunderstanding mainly, as most spearos are very ecologically aware, but lots of tank divers just think we're fish murderers and dive ruiners...also they think we're dangerous because we have hardened steel spears that fly about underwater, which is actually a fair point. Although I have to say my fish ID is good enough not to confuse dichentarchus labrax with homo sapiens...lol

I hate to butt in - but I read this forum avidly not 'cos I spearfish (never have, never will) but because my main interest is photography (and S Dorset is my main area) - see eg Picasa Web Albums - David P - UW-F30-UKBest - and principally freediving rather than scuba. There's an awful lot in common (apart from the killing and eating end of it). I've learnt a lot (about stalking fish...) for reading stuff here and elsewhere. I admire your skills... even though I'd give anyone with a speargun a very wide berth indeed! And it's great to get feedback on local conditions (I live near London - and pick my moments to escape...)

So yeah, there are conflicts and differences - but certainly, some non-spearos share very similar goals to yours. No doubt some of our paths will cross one of these days.

David P.

Hi David, you dont need to be a spearo to be very welcome on db - great pics.

Yup! Nice to have you on board David - brilliant photos. Were the shots of the mullet taken *ahem* quite close to some, er, rocks in a firing range to the east of Lulworth cove by any chance? Looks familiar - the bottom there is very good for reflecting the light up...

btw, comments about diver / spearo conflict just meant to warn people about Swanage pier in particular. I have no issues at all with divers...

Nah - though I think I know where you mean (if it's the little bay with the ... er ... cave, I've seen them there too). The mullet were at another similar secret spot just a little west of Lulworth... (I imagine you can guess where I mean) - I've normally seen them there, usually close inshore round the rocks. Saw a biggie last weekend but just the one and only from the surface - so they're about. I've seen them in just a few feet, round Durdle Door and Man o'War, pretty much swimming around people's ankles...!

Damn - I'm sharing all my wares but see also
P4050003.JPG

P4050004.JPG

(I just disturbed a whole shoal kinda resting; bigger versions at Picasa Web Albums - David P - Misc)

Also a short video at David P's web site which has some amazing non-shy mullet round the rocks just west of Durdle Door. One of these days I'll update it!

Appreciate the point about Swanage Pier! I'd only go there in company, bit too busy. S Purbeck I'll happily explore as and when I want.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
Great video,i wasn't really thinking about a dive today but having watched that i may have to.

Great images. Kind of frustrating looking at those mullet though - inflammed sinuses & a new speargun:(. I rarely encounter visibility that good -- nice when it happens though (although the fish usually see me first!). Particularly impressed by the crab & lobster pics. I've seen lots of spider crabs but only one brown/edible crab & lobsters only in pots so far. The video was good - kept my attention all the way through.

Mr X, B*gn*r is a national treasure that should not be spoken about openly.
I meant Shoreham (or was it Christchurch?);)

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT