• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pneumatic help

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pinniped72

May 18, 2013
Sorry for this very basic question but looking through the posts on this section, it would seem to be THE place for everything pneumatic:) I am looking to get my very first pneumatic speargun and am lost amongst the choice, I just have no idea which guns are over hyped and which ones are a solid buy. I have to out rule the very expensive guns, the £200 plus ones as I cant really justify that, well I can to myself but not to the wife:D I am looking at the rest which fall in a roughly similar price range. What would you recommend as a good, solid gun, for low maintenance, performance and easily obtainable spare parts. I realise that everything's a compromise and some will perform better but may be less reliable, but as an over all package what would you recommend. I am looking at a gun in the 70cm class as the vis local to me is dire at best. Depth will be under 10 meters but the gun needs to be tough as it will be knocking around a kayak and/or the shore. Manouverability is an issue, I like to be able to track quickly. I know its a big ask, but what do you think? Any help is much appreciated, many thanks.

The common "old style" pneumatic spearguns sold today are quite similar. They are all built after the same rear handle concept.

These are the ones I prefer and that I believe to be the "best buy":

1. One of the new Salvimar pneumatics (Vintair or Vuoto) - Especially the new vacuum barrel Vuoto.
The Salvimar guns are a reissue of the proven Scubapro Magnum. The finish is not "high class" but it's OK. The vintair comes with an 8mm shaft with thread and the Vuoto with a very nice hardened 7mm shaft with a single barb.

2. The classic Mares Medi (70cm) Sten 11 or 13. Choose the 13mm barrel if you shoot in holes and need a "punch". Choose the 11mm barrel if you shoot after pelagic fishes. Great finish. Very reliable guns. The 13mm barrel Medi Sten comes with an 8mm threaded shaft and the 11mm barrel Medi Sten with a (no good) 7mm threaded shaft. I changed this on mine to a Salvimar hardened 7mm shaft with single barb.

I prefer the guns with power regulator. It's not quite as efficient as the one without it - but it's nice to have the possibility of a low power shot when shooting around rocks.

Jégwan

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinniped72
A 70cm ar gun is quite a nice lenth for poor vis & close range shooting. As a general rule air guns are pretty tough and not likely to be damaged easily.
To be honest you don't read many complaints about any of the leading manufactures.

Reactions: Pinniped72
That's great, many thanks for the advice, I was looking at the Mares as a possibility, the Sten 13 sounds like a real possibility. Its good to know that the guns are tough as I was slightly concerned about durability with the moving parts. The gun I currently use is a 60cm Cressi with an 18mm band. Its ok but for my fishing I feel that a pneumatic fits the bill perfectly. I will have a browse around and make the purchase. Thanks again, great Forum this:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT