• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pretty kelp

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bill McIntyre

San Clemente, CA
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jan 27, 2005
I suppose that underwater photos of California kelp are a dime a dozen, but here are a couple taken from the boat yesterday. The water was blue and clear, and it looked so inviting. I just wanted to show how nice it can look on a good day. These won't win any contests, but for those not familiar with California, they might give a better feel for what its like here.

The water was about 55 feet deep and the tide was low, so the kelp fronds were laid over at the surface. In the second photo there were thousands of small mackerel under the kelp, but I'm afraid they don't show up to well in the photo.
IMG_1514.JPGIMG_1517.JPG

Ah Bill I can't wait to hit the kelp again some day! It's beautiful even in poor viz!

Gorgeous photos, and an excellent example of California's kelp. Makes me want to go explore in the kelp forest.

Went today. I saw a monster- maybe 70 to 80 pounds- but didn't get a shot. My buddy got a 59 pounder.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 150
The 59 pounder looks big enough. The 70-80lb one must have been a big honking fish. What do you find is an average size for you and your buddies? The fish usually look enormous, but I'm used to the petite little freshwater species.

The 59 pounder looks big enough. The 70-80lb one must have been a big honking fish. What do you find is an average size for you and your buddies? The fish usually look enormous, but I'm used to the petite little freshwater species.
So far this year they've all been from 40 to 60. Daryl Wong came up from Hawaii and dove with me Monday and Tuesday. He saw one that he thought was around 80 and shot a 52.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 163
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT