• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

RA 120 tuna rail band change :#@!??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mata ray jay

Apr 14, 2014
This gun comes standard with twin 16m rubbers. Can I use one 20m band or one 16m without effecting the accuracy ?

I'm spearoing in UK waters.

This gun comes standard with twin 16m rubbers. Can I use one 20m band or one 16m without effecting the accuracy ?

I'm spearoing in UK waters.

It depends on the diameter of the spear you are going to use on the 120. Twin 16s normally come with a 7.5mm shaft, 20mm bands come with a 7mm shaft. For UK waters RA do a 6.3mm shaft which is fine with a single 16mm band. On most of my RA guns I use a 18mm band with a standard s/s European shaft 6.5mm. I often use a smaller in length spear. For my 100 gun I use a spear from a 90. I find it tracks better. A 120 is a bit big for general spearfishing in the UK.

Reactions: Mata ray jay
Think my shaft is 7.5m. Maybe on the big side but I find for bream and gilthead bream it's needed . Also when the vis gets better it's amazing to get some long shots in for the bigger bass 10lb+ :)

If you're sticking with the 7.5mm spear, I'd use the double 16's that the gun is designed for - RA have set it up that way for a reason - plus, loading a 20mm band is a b**ch!

You might want to consider a slimmer spear (e.g. 6.6mm) and a single 16mm band - there would be plenty of oomph for bass, etc.. Faster, simpler & easier to load. Cheaper to maintain. Keep your other band (sealed, in the freezer) as a spare.

Failing that a single "20mm" bulk rubber band (which I think are nominally 3/4" - made in USA ~ 19mm) with you current spear (or 6.6/7mm) would be quicker & simpler to load.

Another option not used much here but popular I gather in Hawaii is 2x14mm - similar power to a single 2omm band we estimated.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT