• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spearfishing Phuket

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

camskea

Jan 14, 2014
Got back from Phuket a couple of months ago..., I go there quite often, I got this 7kg bad boy in about 13 meters. The big red one.

Im heading back in another month or 6 weeks if any one is interested in meeting up.

Also a good friend of mine from South Africa is currently running

http://www.phuket-spearfishing.com/

The gallery at the above website has some amazing pics

His name is Ryan, he's a great guy, very friendly, a good spearo and has been living in Phuket for years as a scuba instructor, so he knows the local area, the sport, the water and is obviously good with visitors
The website is just getting started, and you can also like the Facebook page, it has lots of updates and great pics.
He is also stocking a good range of Rob Allen gear.
If you are interested in contacting him, like the FB page or call him on
0900308965... you'll need the international area code for Thailand first.

More pictures to come. I just gotta reduce the size of some to be able to post them.

I highly recommend the diving and total experience of Phuket. The food, the people, the water, the weather,its amazing!!
2014-01-13 07.58.31.png
2014-01-13 07.58.31.png
2014-01-13 08.16.48.png

Attachments

• 2014-01-13 08.15.53.png
    2014-01-13 08.15.53.png
    451.6 KB · Views: 286
Nice Fish. Did you bring your guns or rented one and in both case what type were they. I really wonder if I should buy one there or bring mine cause i can't carry anything over 48 inch. Than I could ship it back or give it to a local.
I'll be there the 19th of marh for 7 weeks but gonna spearfish only the first two weeks.
Any other spot, contact or advice would be really appreciated.

Simon

Hi mate, I always take my own guns, but Ryan from Phuket Spearfishing stocks Rob Allen for sale and I believe he can also organise rental.
I use my 90cm Cressi when I'm diving off beaches and I have a 1.3M Orca Thule with twin rubbers for when we travel to open water, 20M float line and a decent size Rob Allen float.
I just made a travel case for my guns out of white drain pipe, I can text you some pictures if you give me your number. I put a little lock on it and I've never had a problem with Malasian, Thai, Qantas etc...
I'm hoping to be back there about the same time you are, might be able to meet you there.
There is a pretty decent group of us who enjoy spearing together over there, Ryan will be able to introduce you to the boys if you wanna do some beach dives etc...
A good place to stay if you like spearing, beaches, food, and beer would be Chai's Bungalows!
Chai is a great spearo and he's always hanging out at the bungalows in the evening rigging his guns and prepping for a trip. He's got loads of good advice on techniques for the local waters and has spares like dyneema, rubbers and mono.
I hope this helps a bit,
enjoy your spearing
Cam

I'd never expect a response that quick, i assume you are in front of your computer. Good
Where are you from?
If you are from america, i wonder how you brought a 1.3m(which is my favorite length bye the way) it is not even possible with all the airlines i checked.
Drain pipes, what a revelation. lol I think we all did the same! thx My friend even made tonnes of holes(with a drill) to make it lighter but as strong.
Would be good to meet you, we'll keep in touch.

See you

Simon

Nah mate, just got my tablet at work. Lol.
I'm from Australia, I've never had any trouble getting it on the plane, I'd say just turn up with it, say you were told fishing gear (don't mention gun) was acceptable luggage and try to check it, I put a latch and padlock on mine for security. Have someone there if possible to take it home if they play hard ass.
I was saving some cash at the time I made it but I'm going to invest in a sports tube soon, I've taken the guns to Thailand many times, I'm planning a trip to Mozambique with Ryan for late this year and I'm hoping to get to Figi or Cook Islands this or next year, so it'll get a workout!

I just spoke to Ryan, he said Chai doesn't have a website. And I know from experience he's near impossible to get on the phone.
My girlfriend is actually in Phuket now and she was interested in seeing Chai's beach/restaurant/bungalows.
I'll see if she goes there for lunch or something if she can message me some pics.

As far as contacting the place itself, I'm not sure.....
If you were keen on booking a trip with Ryan he would most likely help you out where he can.
cheers
Cam

Alright mate, I'm in Phuket from 25th Feb to the 2nd March.
I am joining an organised trip with Ryan on 1st March however I also want to try some local beach spots if yourself or anyone else is around. Staying in Patonge beach area, have very little knowledge of the coastline and I don't really want to be spearing in amongst tourists. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hey mate, shame you're not staying a bit longer, I'm planning to be there from about 10 March.
I usually stay down the other end of the island, towards Rawai, Kata, Karon so I'm not so sure about Patong spearing locations but get in contact with Tong. Hes a good guy I met in Vietnam about 10 years ago, from Holland but lives in Phuket now, speaks perfect english and a keen spearo. He'll be able to take you to some decent spots to dive and restaurants to cook your catch.
I'll PM you his number.
Cam

Hi Cam, I'm new to spearing and I was wondering if you and Ryan are willing to bring a newbie with you over a weekend :) I've gone snorkelling and stuff before so no worries about swimming. Can't hold my breath underwater that long but I'm really keen on learning to spear. Let me know! :)

Jean

Hi mate, are you in phuket? Im getting there on the 11th of march. You're probably better to contact Ryan directly to organise a beginner trip, http://www.phuket-spearfishing.com/ I'd be happy to come along.
I'm going to be in the water a fair bit with the boys so I'd be happy to help you out with some pointers.
One of my friends has a mate who is a freediving teacher and we are hoping to organize some practice through him if you are interested?
Add me on Facebook to keep in touch
camskea@hotmail.com
cheers
Cam

Hey Cam (and others in Thailand),

I'll be there in October and was actually on Ryan's website earlier today I believe. I am pretty sure he's one of the first results that comes up when you google Thailand spearfishing, that's gotta be good for business! Ill be flying into BKK and working my way down to Singapore over the span of about 2.5 weeks, do you or anyone know of any spots I might get hooked up with some local guys/companies besides Phuket?

I definitely plan on going out with those guys, but since my first time out I just can't get enough of being out in the water. Hoping to find another company or generous local spears who wouldn't mind teaching a relative newbie a few tricks of the trade. After SE Asia I'll be in NZ for a couple moths. At that point I'll buy some gear since I won't be checking luggage but one more time on my flight home. Hope to hear from some of you out there either on this thread or via PM!

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob
I'm in Phuket now and its been pissing rain for ages do you're not missing much.
Should be better by October.
I'm leaving in a few days but I'll be back early October, only staying a few days though as I've been organising a trip to Bali with some friends.
Add me on Facebook if you have it
Cam Stanley
or
camskea@hotmsil.com
Cheers mate
Cam

Got back from Phuket a couple of months ago..., I go there quite often, I got this 7kg bad boy in about 13 meters. The big red one.

Im heading back in another month or 6 weeks if any one is interested in meeting up.

Also a good friend of mine from South Africa is currently running

http://www.phuket-spearfishing.com/

The gallery at the above website has some amazing pics

His name is Ryan, he's a great guy, very friendly, a good spearo and has been living in Phuket for years as a scuba instructor, so he knows the local area, the sport, the water and is obviously good with visitors
The website is just getting started, and you can also like the Facebook page, it has lots of updates and great pics.
He is also stocking a good range of Rob Allen gear.
If you are interested in contacting him, like the FB page or call him on
0900308965... you'll need the international area code for Thailand first.

More pictures to come. I just gotta reduce the size of some to be able to post them.

I highly recommend the diving and total experience of Phuket. The food, the people, the water, the weather,its amazing!!View attachment 37619View attachment 37619View attachment 37620
This looks like a blast I will be arriving to Phuket this evening and wish to do a spear fishing trip with Phuket-spear fishing but haven't been able to get a hold of the shop. Do I need to make an arrangement prior or can I show up to the shop in the morning I wish to go

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT