• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Schnibbz

Jul 12, 2010
Since I'm not quite as adventurous as Jon, cabin fever inspired me to build a gun. This blank that I glued up is padauk and purpleheart. It's just about finished, I'm only waiting on the spear I bought from Josh @ Neptonic Systems to arrive so I can double check alignment with the trigger mechanism before cutting the track in the epoxy. It should be here Thursday or Friday. I'll be sure to update this thread after I get the gun shaped and epoxied. I've got 2 other blanks made and awaiting parts I've ordered; one is purpleheart/padauk/teak and the other, which I'm most excited about, is purpleheart and black walnut that I had milled locally after cutting down a diseased tree.

I realize this thread is technically not in the right place, but I figured it would be more interesting to the Wisconsin/Northern Illinois people since we may end up running into each other shooting perch on the big lake!

Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_0656.jpg
    IMG_0656.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0814.jpg
    IMG_0814.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0801.jpg
    IMG_0801.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0811.jpg
    IMG_0811.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Reactions: Don Paul
Schnibbz - That is Awesome!!! Keep it up, could make some money. A few of us love custom made guns.

Got a lot completed on this gun and a few others in the past month. The gun I posted above is at my dad's carving buddy's house getting some relief carving done to it. There is going to be a perch on each side chasing a school of alewife. I began to develop separation anxiety, as he is going to have it for a few months, so I started a few more guns. Epoxy finish work started last week on a 34" rear handle, so I should have some finished pics in the next week or so.

Attachments

• IMG_0911.jpg
    IMG_0911.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0902.jpg
    IMG_0902.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0897.jpg
    IMG_0897.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
This is a teak, padauk and purpleheart rear handle I'm almost done with. These pictures were taken a while ago;i t has 5 coats of epoxy on it now. I'm considering sanding a little bit and applying 2 more as it's so close to a perfect finish that I don't want to call it quits yet.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 241
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 241
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 233
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Reactions: Don Paul
Nice Work!!! Consider selling any of these? You could have yourself a nice little side business!

I think it's a little premature for that. I really need to get the two that will be finished here next week in the water, do some ballasting, and see how they track. I'm sure that after I like the finished product enough to hook a few friends up that I'd make one for someone local. I don't know that I would be comfortable selling to someone who hadn't actually shot one that I made; who knows how they will compare to guns made by professionals. What I do know, is that they will look damn nice!

Here's a picture after too many hours epoxying the teak/padauk/purpleheart rear handle I'm working on. My other gun should be back from carver soon with the perch relief carving done. Can't wait to see it; pictures to come soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0990[1].jpg
    IMG_0990[1].jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0995[1].jpg
    IMG_0995[1].jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0993[1].jpg
    IMG_0993[1].jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 238
It is not easy getting a good top finish with epoxy!!!! I think I understand about the time involved.
looks great...........

I picked up my padauk/purpleheart mid-handle from the carver today. Here are a few pics:

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

Beautiful work!!! I can't believe the quality of finish you obtained with epoxy, that's amazing! The carving came out beautifully. A very nice compliment and personal touch for your speargun.

I'm just a new guy here, but the level of craftsmanship in those pictures, I think anyone would be darn proud to own one of them!

Simply amazing!!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT