• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearo torch.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mata ray jay

Apr 14, 2014
What lm torch is needed for night spearfishing? I've seen 900lm on the site. Is this the right power ? Or what is a good torch :) many thanks spearo Jay .

I would not go below 800lm. The colour, spreading angle and battery time are also important factors. I found that a small spreading angle is most optimal for spearfishing.

I use a cheap Chinese Magicshine 810E at the moment:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005657PD4/?tag=deeperbcom-20

It's relatively light and small. It's rated 1000lm. It has three output levels. Most of the time I use it on the medium. Then the battery time is around 2 hours.
I have an extra one with me as backup if the other runs out of battery.

A Rolls Royce torch for spearfishing is the Wise Dive Tech. Heres a link:
http://wisedive.com/wisedive-tech-handheld-2800lumen-dive-torch

Jégwan

I have the intova Intra 111 and it was plenty bright I was told I could be seen 1 km away while under the water, its an excellent product the only weak link is the on off switch which could turn itself on in my gear bag. The best part of the torch was its ability to use AA batteries and using eneloop ones improved the burn time to over 7 hrs burn time, a little heavy but good build and totally reliable I was night diving for a whole month and it never failed.

in opposition to other spearos I don't want to go for too powerful torches. recently i bought xtar 860lm and it is too strong. bright light seems to scare fish away. but this torch is nice bcoz its brightness is fully adjustable. and that price!!!

Jaca, do you have a link and/or image link for the torch you use?

Omersub make some interesting torches. Mine are pre-LED though, haven't got round to updating them yet.

Another option you might consider:

http://www.makospearguns.com/680-Lumen-Dive-Light-p/m680dl.htm

M680DL-2.jpg

Reactions: Jaca
Bumping this one up a bit.

What has happened on the torch market sine 2014? A whole lot I presume! The LED technology has developed tremendously these last years and surely there must have been some developments also on the uv torches.

Sooo, which torch is the hottest buy today?

Reactions: Jegwan
I bought an inexpensive, new, rechargable, LED torch off Amazon a year or Two ago. It is small, light - in both senses - and works well for my limited needs. But was no longer available last time I checked.

From reviews I noticed that the lanyard/ wrist loop is a weak spot. It is on many/most Asian dive torches. Some scuba divers had lost theirs due to lanyard failure. So I made my own much tougher wrist-loop from Omer braid & silicon (e?) tubing and always use that.

BTW A friend who is a PADI instructor recommended to me that you should lube the O- rings (there should be 2 on each joint that opens) before use, to help them seal. I always do this. I use glycerol=glycerine or silicon spray.

Reactions: Aquamacca
We've since upgraded and expanded our dive light selection.

We have two powerful LED lights that have been very popular with our customers. One is extremely small, about thumb size and the other is small enough to easily fit in your hand. Both lights are small enough to be worn on the belt or a wrist strap.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Mini-630-Lumen-Dive-Light-p/mm630dl.htm

I bought an inexpensive, new, rechargable, LED torch off Amazon a year or Two ago. It is small, light - in both senses - and works well for my limited needs. But was no longer available last time I checked.

From reviews I noticed that the lanyard/ wrist loop is a weak spot. It is on many/most Asian dive torches. Some scuba divers had lost theirs due to lanyard failure. So I made my own much tougher wrist-loop from Omer braid & silicon (e?) tubing and always use that.

BTW A friend who is a PADI instructor recommended to me that you should lube the O- rings (there should be 2 on each joint that opens) before use, to help them seal. I always do this. I use glycerol=glycerine or silicon spray.

Cheers, just looked and it’s a good suggestion. I don’t need to light up a film set! Loads of good choices that can be modified.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT