• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Stuck spear removal tool

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Drewventures

Jan 19, 2024
Hi guys,

I'm wondering how often you've gotten a spear stuck, to the point where you've needed a tool to remove it? I'm in the market for a new knife, and wondering if I should get one specifically with the spear removal slot like the Rob Allen X blade.
Do spears often get that stuck? Any stuck spear removal tips, or diy tools?

Cheers

I know spearfishermen who spear in rivers, lakes and other inland water bodies can have problems when a miss sinks a shaft into a sunken tree. The tips can be hard to extract and need a big effort to get them out on occasion, at times requiring a switch to another shaft before the original is retrieved. Most extraction gadgets try to jam on the shaft in order to pull them out, but I have never used one, or needed one over rock or sand. Coral may be a different story as the shaft could bite into it. There is a soft bottom substrate that I have sunk a shaft into with a miss, but I could easily pull the shaft out and a chunk of whatever it was broke off with it out of a short cliff rising up out of a sandy bottom, the top of the cliff and the area behind it covered in a seagrass meadow.

Last edited:
As Pete said it may depend on the type of bottom where you dive, but it my over 70 years of diving, I can't recall getting a shaft stuck where I needed a tool to retrieve it. And that included 3 years in Hawaii where I was often shooting fish in holes in the coral. I suppose it must happen somewhere though, since so many dive knives offer a shaft extractor.

• Love
Reactions: Mr. X
Just watched the knife video, the slot doesn't hinder the knife in any way, so you might as well buy it. I have dive knives with line cutters that have never had to be used, but handy to have as you never know when they might come in handy. I have been snagged on fishing lines, but just used the main blade to free myself.

I only once got a spear stuck, in rocks after a successful shot! :(. A tool would not have helped though.

I had to surface, rest and breath for a while, then dive down again (at least once). After unsuccessfully fiddling around to free it, I did fear it might not be freeable. Eventually, I dived then carefully but firmly and very forcefully I pulled it out. Fortunately my prey and lightweight 6.3mm spear were undamaged. :). Phew!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT