• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Swine flu - all pork shops closed

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I would be careful of Wiki though as sometimes their sources or articles are not always 100% correct. I use them from time to time but always make sure i crosscheck the info with another source. I bought two racks of baby pork ribs last night and have no fear of contraction whatsoever.

If you read the case studies of people who have become infected over the last few weeks, it clearly states that they are catching it in the same way we all catch flu

Atchoooh!

i went to the butchers yesterday , i said "do yo have pigs feet?"
he said "yes mate"
i said "well trott over there and get me 2 pound of steak please mate":thankyou:thankyou:thankyou:thankyou

Reactions: octopus
I would be careful of Wiki though as sometimes their sources or articles are not always 100% correct. I use them from time to time but always make sure i crosscheck the info with another source. I bought two racks of baby pork ribs last night and have no fear of contraction whatsoever.

If you read the case studies of people who have become infected over the last few weeks, it clearly states that they are catching it in the same way we all catch flu

Atchoooh!

Fair enough mate .. here are some crosschecks .. :)

http://www.who.int/en/

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/

Nothing changed as you read. Also please be informed that the cases around the world reached over 12,000 cases in a month time, as the decease was first detected last April only.

Be all safe and healthy.

Reactions: island_sands
i went to the butchers yesterday , i said "do yo have pigs feet?"
he said "yes mate"
i said "well trott over there and get me 2 pound of steak please mate":thankyou:thankyou:thankyou:thankyou

rofl rofl rofl rofl

Its still no reason to rush off and close all the pork shops in the UAE in such a frantic manner (they reopened like a day later when they realised the danger was so remote). My point is that the government here do not inform themselves correctly before making hasty commercial decisions.

No pork is imported here from the US or Mexico or any of the countries that were affected at the time. Not that you would know ;)

Have good dives this weekend in KF. We leave on thursday night and will be away 9 days. My brother is here too at the moment so i will not be training this week.

ciao for now
SL

Sara,

This is how they react to all important issues (well, you know what do I mean by important issues, right). My point is that the decision has a back up, it's not out of the blues, to be fair it's normal I would say .. :)

BTW, I went through food poisoning this friday (most probably as a side effect of a nasty virus) and saturday was accordingly horrible (a nightmare is a better word), but as soon as I got underwater I forgot all those horrible (sorry .. nightmare) feelings .. :)

Thanks, you have a safe journey and dive safe.

This has nothing to do with Shari'a Old Sarge, the country is moving towards even more openness by law -unfortunately- (.........), we should simply stop dealing with pork ! .. now this is Shari'a through the back door Old Sarge .. ;) .. rofl

But then, jokes aside, why should we stop dealing with pork?
We've been eating and breeding pork for thousan' years, what's new? Where's the difference, healthwise, between breeding chicken, beef, turkey, pigs or anything? Every breeding of any animal is a potential factory of newer dangerous viruses...

We've been eating and breeding pork for thousan' years, what's new? Where's the difference, healthwise, between breeding chicken, beef, turkey, pigs or anything? Every breeding of any animal is a potential factory of newer dangerous viruses...

I hope I am right but I think its part of the muslim culture or religion that pork is prohibited.:confused: Its actually a good thing that they dont require a license here in UAE to buy pork unlike liquor.

Last edited:
I hope I am right but I think its part of the muslim culture or religion that pork is prohibited.:confused: Its actually a good thing that they dont require a license here in UAE to buy pork unlike liquor.

Yes of course, I know that the Muslim faith doesn't mix with eating pork/breeding pigs, and of course I have the greatest respect for Islam.
In facts I was asking "why should we stop dealing with pork?", as I am not a muslim, and if I'm not wrong neither Adolphin is a Muslim.
My exact point is: if we look at the big picture, this "swine flu" thing is not about pigs and not about religion
Whenever I hear or read person from Mid-east countries (also jewish, not only muslims) talking about this so called "swine flu" issue, I have noticed that religion is often thrown into the debate. Well I hink this is pointless. I can't see how a virus emergency can be related to religion (especially in this case; a muslim has the same chance to be infected by this virus as a christian, buddhist or atheistic pig eater).
After Bse (mad cow), avian flu, swine flu and - what's next? - maybe a fish flu from some intensive aquaculture, it seems quite clear to me that the problem boils down at intensive breedings, poor health service, poor control on breeding safety, poor control on food safety, in this order.....In my modest opinion it's not at all about pigs and it's not about religion. Or at least it shouldn't be.

Last edited:
Yes of course, I know that the Muslim faith doesn't mix with eating pork/breeding pigs, and of course I have the greatest respect for Islam.
In facts I was asking "why should we stop dealing with pork?", as I am not a muslim, and if I'm not wrong neither Adolphin is a Muslim.
My exact point is: if we look at the big picture, this "swine flu" thing is not about pigs and not about religion
Whenever I hear or read person from Mid-east countries (also jewish, not only muslims) talking about this so called "swine flu" issue, I have noticed that religion is often thrown into the debate. Well I hink this is pointless. I can't see how a virus emergency can be related to religion (especially in this case; a muslim has the same chance to be infected by this virus as a christian, buddhist or atheistic pig eater).
After Bse (mad cow), avian flu, swine flu and - what's next? - maybe a fish flu from some intensive aquaculture, it seems quite clear to me that the problem boils down at intensive breedings, poor health service, poor control on breeding safety, poor control on food safety, in this order.....In my modest opinion it's not at all about pigs and it's not about religion.

I definitely agree bro. Its just the way of the world and all we can do is watch as it unfolds.

Now lets get some beers and talk about fish...hehehehe:friday

Hi Spaghetti!

It was a joke, I suggeted staying away from pork instead of taking vaccine !
But it's not pure fiction, as the previous links I've posed suggest, pork is a potential source of swine flu H1N1 infection when infected meat is prosessed without proper hygiene methods (here we talk about wearing gloves which too few people would acctually do at home or even in restaurants) and then when the meat is not properly cooked (such as half done for example or even raw).

Now the joke comes from the fact that I am a Muslim .. :D

Regarding your question, breeding different animals (even different plants) impose different difficulties, problems and challenges depending upon the specie been breeded.

Some species are more problematic than others. Talking about pigs (and chicken to a lesser degree) they eat almost everything and don't care much about hygiene themselves (compared for example to sheeps which are very selective towards what they eat and where they stay and what they do), I think the most important issue about pigs is not that, it's how close they are to human-beings genetically, the most successful animal to human transplants are done with pigs body parts and tissues (not even monkeys could compete here), it is (in theory) more likely that a virus originated or developed in pigs be transferable to humans and be endemic in humans as well (possibly pandemic).

Last edited:
After Bse (mad cow), avian flu, swine flu and - what's next? - maybe a fish flu from some intensive aquaculture, it seems quite clear to me that the problem boils down at intensive breedings, poor health service, poor control on breeding safety, poor control on food safety, in this order.....In my modest opinion it's not at all about pigs and it's not about religion. Or at least it shouldn't be.

You are right spaghetti, for no reason at all, the world had the Avian Flu few years ago, the mad cow much older, there are other viruses that hit sheeps as well and was Zoonosis and dangerous (non of you heard about it I think!) .. in all those cases the governments had very aggressive actions towards the cattle and birds, killing them by millions and banning all type of exports .. etc, I don't know why this time the talk is all about how bad those measures are and also taking religious direction, but I would suggest the religious talk is only joking and nothing serious .. :)

Actually, there shouldn't be religious debate about food I would think, talking frankly about the subject, for me as a Shi'at Muslim, it's not only pigs that we don't eat, we don't eat sharks, turtles, dolphins and whales, manatees, all type of seafood except fish (only those with real scales) and shrimps (so basicaly fish and shrimps), then on land there is a long list of forbidden, such as blood, rabbits, dogs (wolves, foxes and all cousins), monkeys, cats (lions, tigers and all cousins) .. the list will go on and on .. :)

The Jews have religiously exactly the same list of forbidden menu (in addition to Kosher which was a ristriction added to them and we respect it).

The Christians also follow the same rules, because their only source of religious daily practices is the old testement, ofcourse Jesus the Christ (Peace be upon Him and His house hold) released them from Kosher restriction and so did Prophet Mohammad (Peace be upon Him and His house hold) for Muslims.

Think Budist or Hindu ? they don't eat animals at all (religiously).

Why people from all these religions eat what is forbidden is a personal preference and choice and has nothing to do with religions.

That been said spaghetti, if you think that a Muslim could ask other Muslims not to eat pigs because it's forbidden in Islam, then the same would go for all other religions, if he can't do that with Christians because it's no more practiced in their everyday life, then he shouldn't do to Muslims as well, because it's a personal matter, everyone choses if he/she want to follow the rules or not and hold him/herself responsible for the results, exactly same as those having sharkfin soup and don't want to quit .. :)

People usually are amazed how differently humans are from each other ? .. I think we should be amazed how exactely the same they are indeed .. !!

We are amazingly similar, once we have accepted this piece of fact, we will understand each other easier and appreciate and love each other more .. :inlove

Last edited:
Modest correction, Adolphin. Some Buddhists and Hindus are vegetarian but not a majority. Having both in my classes here in SoCal, as well as Moslems (who always surprise me by telling me when Ramadan is because it's always sooner than I expect) I can give many, many examples. I was even surprised to find that Hindus eat beef. Apparently only the Brahim caste does not. After all, half of all cattle born are bulls and only cows are sacred. ;)

Reactions: spaghetti
Thanks for the correction Oldsarge .. :)

Yes, there is a debate weither being vegetarian is core to Budhist and Hindu religious practices or not, but the stronger saying is that it is, and that those among them who are eating meat have simply chosed not to follow this detail, I've put the word (religiously) between brackets to emphasize that I'm talking about the religious practice that is not taken care of by the majority, again as a personal choice.

But we can exclude those two religions from the comparison for now and simplify it, I think my idea would still be clear, right ? .. :)

..as well as Moslems (who always surprise me by telling me when Ramadan is because it's always sooner than I expect)..

The month of Ramadan would start about 11 days earlier every year Oldsarge, this is because it's part of the Lunar calendar, while you are calculating by Solar calendar, there is 11 days there (12 if a leap year) .. that's why .. :)

Here you go, you can now be more accurate and surprise your Muslim mates .. :D .. but they can surprise you on the other hand by 1 day difference sometimes, that's due to the fact that most muslim scholars understand that not only mathematical calculations are considered but also the physical seeing of the moon at the beginning of the month, that would make 1 day differance in most of the years (due to difficulties in seeing the light new born moon in the first night).

Cheers

The month of Ramadan would start about 11 days earlier every year Oldsarge, this is because it's part of the Lunar calendar, while you are calculating by Solar calendar, there is 11 days there (12 if a leap year) .. that's why .. :)

Here you go, you can now be more accurate and surprise your Muslim mates .. :D .. but they can surprise you on the other hand by 1 day difference sometimes, that's due to the fact that most muslim scholars understand that not only mathematical calculations are considered but also the physical seeing of the moon at the beginning of the month, that would make 1 day differance in most of the years (due to difficulties in seeing the light new born moon in the first night).

Cheers

:D I find it easier to let the kids find out from their mullahs and then tell me, lazy slug that I am.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT