• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Technisub "Grinta" pneumatic speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
I was just looking for some parts in my workshop/storage room when I spied the beat-up Technisub "Grinta" which I bought on eBay many years ago. I had dismantled it to a certain point where I could go no further and I could see where a previous owner had attacked it with a hammer trying to get the rear housing off and had also used adjustable multi-grip pliers on the rear projection of the aluminium inlet valve body. I had drilled two blind holes in it and used my special two bolt muzzle spanner to try and turn it, but with no success as the inner barrel simply turned with it while the inner barrel was locked in the lathe. Now that is really tight!

Having recently written a thread on the "Pelengas" gun which has a transverse pin holding the rear body onto the inner barrel I pulled the gun down again and instead of trying to turn the rear projection with my spanner I gave it a whack with a block of wood to loosen anything up after squirting the entire rear area liberally with WD40. To my surprise when I pushed down on the plastic rear housing with the inner barrel tube pressing hard and standing vertically on my work table the whole assembly slid rapidly down the inner barrel tube and all was revealed. Sure enough the inlet valve body is fixed with a cross-pin onto the inner barrel tube and it is double "O" ring sealed into the rear plastic housing which the rear pistol grip in turn slides over and is secured by more small pins. After that revelation the entire gun was disassembled in a couple of minutes. I found a tiny chunk of steel stuck in the inlet valve stem seal which had probably been the reason that the gun was taken out of service, where the metal fragment came from I do not know, but I think it had entered via the hand pump as it had progressed no further inside the gun.

So the only screw thread in the "Grinta" is the muzzle to inner barrel connecting thread, everything else is secured by transverse pins and if you don't know how the gun goes together then you would be hard pressed to take it apart. That included me until late yesterday!

The "Grinta" is a sort of Italian "Taimen", small air pressure tank of 30 mm OD , sleeve attachment of the rear handgrip (although the "Taimen" handle is a clamshell moulding) over a cylindrical (plastic) rear housing which forms the rear bulkhead along with the inlet valve body and is a very compact gun to look at, but it has a 13 mm ID inner barrel shooting an 8 mm spear! Too much spear and not enough gun, especially with a wet barrel.

I will take some photos of it in pieces after I clean everything up as right now it is all rather oily from my dismantling efforts and the oil that I had put in it when I last attacked it to protect the inner workings in storage. Note that even with the rear grip handle, which fits using a sleeve mounting on the end of the gun being completely removed the gun does not float despite being reduced to a long, slim cylinder. However if the alloy inner barrel was reduced in OD, it is now 17 mm, then maybe it could be made to float, but I have my doubts as the rear end still contains a lot of thick plastic and no air spaces. Its sister gun from Technisub was the "Jeans" which had a high-mounted inner barrel, it was not coaxial like that on the "Grinta", but I expect that its construction was very similar with just the end bulkheads offset upwards in their internal bores to mount the rear valve body and the nose cone higher up in the gun and thus moved off the central axis. I had seen "Jeans" in dive stores not long after they were released here, no one was really interested as the "Sten" ruled the pneumatic speargun world then and would be a much more powerful weapon than either the "Jeans" or the "Grinta", the latter model never being offered here as far as I know. I certainly never saw a photo of one until I read the George Cozens article now posted here which had them in the list of guns currently available in the USA in 1979. http://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/pneumatic-speargun-classic-review-article-from-1979.100364/

Last edited:
Here are some photos of the "Grinta" reduced to its bare components. Cosmetic damage is basically superficial, probably from bouncing around on the bottom after a shot. The only thing missing is the rear valve protective screw cap which probably fits all the Technisub guns using the same hand pump with the walled off inner end that has a large hole in it for the fat valve stem to poke through when the hand pump is screwed into place in the rear end of the gun.

The inner barrel's bore is without flaw and the piston looks in excellent shape, but the shock absorber is cracked in three nearly equidistant radial positions extending from the anvil face to almost the mid-section of the tube part that the rubber damper sleeve sits on. Being made of cadmium-plated steel it should be hard to bust, but my guess is some miscreant fired the gun in the air and the piston hit the anvil with mighty force. Then they repeated the dose because metal chips have subsequently exited the cracks. Fortunately the metal chips did not travel down the inner barrel bore on subsequent reloads.

Grinta 1 A.jpg
Grinta 2 A.jpg
Grinta 3.jpg

Moral of the story: don't fire your pneumatic speargun in the air!

Reactions: kupis
The "Grinta" has a rotating throttle which is a plastic cylinder with a channel on one side coupled to the tank tube, you twist the tank tube around on the gun to vary the power of the shot, hence the "VP" in the gun's designation. Only the 75 cm gun had this feature, you can see the rubber grip that you twist the tank around with in the above photos.

How the throttle works is shown here, air flow is depicted by the orange arrow and a quarter turn either opened the throttle up or closed it, but air could always pass around the gaps so the shot always had some power and was not down to zero.
Grinta power control.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: kupis
Thanks for the "Grinta" information. Interesting and simple throttle system.

The lower hand grip on the handle looks similar to that on the "Drago" and "Jeans"

I have an old Technisub aluminum end cap that has no value for me - I believe it's from a "Pulce" or "Pirate". You can have it for the Grinta if you like. I'll send it to you if you PM me your address.

Jégwan

Thanks for the kind offer, I appreciate it, but just take a photo of it so I can see the dimensions. I plan to make one out of plastic rather than metal, I believe they were plastic, but not sure as it has been years since I saw any of the rear handle Technisub pneumatic spearguns. Technisub, distributed by "US Divers" in the USA and in turn by their agents here, made their name with their mid-handle pneumatic guns such as the "Jaguar" and its derivatives like the "Puma" (built-in hand pump!) and the "Tigre/Tiger" (variable power) and maybe one other which I cannot remember, but another "big cat" name.

Technisub Conquest Booster R.jpg
Their rear handle pneumatic guns started with small diameter tanks which got progressively larger, but the last guns sold here were the "Conquest Booster" models with the 40 mm OD tanks. In Europe they sold much longer rear handle guns (including a "Big" or "Max", I cannot remember the name exactly) which I have only seen photos of in private collections. Unfortunately speargun collectors, thinking that they will ruin some treasure (often picked up on a junk table at a flea market), are very reluctant to take their guns apart. Of course the real differences and intriguing aspects are hidden within, so they never really know what they have.

Maybe you could take the "Drago" apart and show us its innards. I narrowly missed out on a "Drago" being in for repair, it was fixed (not by me) and gone before I could inspect it, evidently a private import brought in some distant time in the past. I only figured out what it was when the repairer told me about the sliding handle that made it either a mid-handle or rear handle gun. Of course if the sliding handle is not properly locked then the barrel can slide back and hit you in the face during the shot.

I have attached a photo of the end cap.

The other big cat was the Panther.
I believe "Big" was the name of one of the long rear handle models. It was a longer model of the "Ranger" with a white handle instead of yellow.

I actually restored an old Drago recently - I have taken photos of the outside result - but I'm not sure how many I took while it was apart - I need to remember to do so while I have the spearguns a part. I'll have a look or take it apart once more.
You can carefully grind and polish the Technisub plasic parts if you want to remove some of the scratches. I have attached a picture of the outside of the restored Drago with it's handle unlocked..

Jégwan

Technisub end cap.JPG Studio Session-Technisub Drago Corto_open.jpg

Thanks for the photo! The Technisub gun I called the "Puma" was actually the "Panther", the one with the built-in hand pump, I remembered it started with a "P" and should have checked. I am not too worried about scratches, pneumatic guns that are sinkers collect more scratches than floaters. I expect that the "Drago" is a floater with its elliptical tank, have you tried it in the water? I recall that early "Drago" guns had the muzzle workings more exposed than later ones which were shrouded, but when that change occurred I do not know. I discussed the patent for it some time ago and indicated how the ball system worked in the muzzle. How has the ball system survived in your example of the gun? I guess a lot depends on its maintenance, or the lack thereof!

Your "Drago" looks very good in the photo, you have done a great job with its restoration! Some other "Drago" guns look pretty beat-up in their photos and often have parts missing.

Speargun manufacturers often create a certain styling appearance which they will continue in all of their guns, so that is why the Technisub handles in the lower grip area look the same for pneumatic guns from this particular period.

Last edited:
Thanks. I used a lot of time on the Drago - it's close to perfect now. Just need to find a timely Technisub loading grip.

Yes I have. I took it with me yesterday - one shot - I missed - and then the ball system was jammed and the gun wouldn't shoot the spear. Not much fun with a loaded Drago with a stuck spear - I had to take the pressure of the gun at the beach.

I took the muzzle apart again and found that there was a small burr on the plastic ball cage locking one of the balls. Another problem was the shaft tail - it has a small spring and a moving part - this was also locked due to corrosion. I gave the shaft tail a WD40 bath and heated it with a gas torch. Now everything works again. Pretty fragile system.

The short version "Corto" is neutral in our Sea water here in Denmark, which is less salty than the Mediterranean and other world oceans.
The Drago "stood" in the water muzzle down. No changes to that if you move the handle. So I will categorize the Drago as a floater.

The Drago is very nice to load (because the ball system hold the spear all the way in) and to swim with when the handle is set in the middle. It's possible to move the handle even when the gun is loaded!
The trigger guard was a little small as I was using 6,5mm gloves - the water here is 6 degrees - It won't be a problem with 3mm gloves.

Jégwan

Well good to know that the "Drago" is a floater and the attitude it floats at in the water column, i.e. muzzle hanging down. The guns have a throttle system activated at the rear of the tank, have you tried that? I guess the thing to remember when moving the grip handle is to undo the gripper plates on the pull rod as pulling the handle back on a cocked gun would shoot it, unless Technisub engineered an interlock to stop that which does not show on the patent diagrams for the gun.

The problem with an exposed ball system is that while the balls roll at low shaft speeds during muzzle loading, they will not turn with high shaft speed and the spear can therefore file flats on the balls, only tiny as it is a small contact patch on each ball which continually changes for successive shots as the balls rotate to new positions. Located inside the gun the balls would be swimming in oil, but positioned out in the ambient water they have much less lubrication and the corrosive effects of saltwater to deal with. Of course changing the balls would be a possibility and keeping the gun's nose up off the beach would minimize sand intrusion before and after a dive, but many spearfishermen just throw their guns down on the beach thinking that a gun made for the marine environment can cope with anything. Unfortunately that is not true, although some guns are more robust than others. The popularity of band guns is that they can work in the hands of even the most careless of operators, however they too can jam if loaded up with sand. I have had it happen when band guns dropped in the shore break have filled with sand in less than a minute while the owner, having been tumbled over by an unexpected wave crest, staggers around to regain his feet, his composure and the rest of his gear. The price of diving in the "washing machine" when surface conditions unexpectedly change after long hours in the water.

The throttle system on the "Drago" is in principle a piece of tube/pipe located around a hole in the inner barrel that connects the inner barrel behind the piston with the air reservoir in the outer barrel. The tube has two different size holes drilled in it (one same size as the hole in the inner barrel and one much smaller). When the knob at the rear of the tank is moved forward to reduced power; the tube inside of the gun moves forward and the small hole in the tube aligns with the hole in the inner barrel instead of the bigger).
This means that the area of the flow channel between the inner and outer barrel is reduced - in principle the same as on the "Grinta".

I have not tried to shoot it at reduced power yet - but I will bring it with me next time and try. I checked and adjusted its function when I had the gun apart. Its (the holes) alignment can be adjusted by how far you screw the threaded push rod in.
It's of course not possible to feel the difference when you unload the gun with the tip against a solid surface, as the speed of the air exchange between the outer and inner barrel is to slow when doing so. You need to shoot it.

Technisub has thought of the risk of misfire. The gripper plates is released from the pull rod when the trigger is forced forward. There's a system with a "switch" on the trigger guard that you need to release and lock that forces the trigger forward. You can see the "interlock" activated on the my "open" photo above.

Yes absolutely - you need to keep the muzzle and ball system clean. At first I lubricated the system - but I decided to clean that off - I'm afraid that small particles will stick to any oil or grease and make the system jam. It's better lubricated by water only.

Jégwan

Last edited:
Technisub Drago power regulator R.jpg
Technisub Drago.jpg
Here are the diagrams of the "Drago" power regulator and the gun in two different grip positions.

Well to be honest the "Grinta" is not an outstanding gun design-wise, but it is different and unfortunately a sinker. My interest in it is because I am designing a new throttle system for the "Taimen", based on a magnetic control, revolving throttle cylinder installed in their "PV" model. Variable power, but no loss of power on the full shot, unlike the current "PVR" model which loses 10%. The design has been submitted to the company, as I also submitted a design change for the new 2-part muzzle a few months back.

Last edited:
That sounds very interesting for both you and the people behind the Taimen. I'm looking forward to see the result of that. I saw a picture of an old spring powered "Taimen" - do you know that and is it from the same factory?

I hope that it some day will be possible buy the Taimen here in Western Europe. An opening between the markets would be welcome from a spearo's perspective.

Jégwan

That spring gun is a compression spring gun from the same company, it has the same ring-shaped, trigger finger guard frame that you also see on their pneumovacuum gun. A styling feature that has been carried across to provide a family resemblance for the company's speargun products. I don't know if that spring gun is still made, but I doubt it given the poor efficiency of spring guns in converting loading effort into a strong shot.

The pneumovacuum gun's biggest hurdle is crossing the border out of Russia and its associated republics, if the Russian Customs guys see it as a weapon/firearm then they will put on the brakes. If you have a relative or friend in Russia that can accompany the speargun out of the country, such as a travelling diver ostensibly taking his own sporting equipment on a foreign trip, then no problems at all. A number of Russian divers have travelled here for the annual "Bluewater Classic" spearfishing competition held near Woolgoolga, NSW, bringing their own pneumatic spearguns with them, unfortunately these "home-made" titanium guns were a bit too short (by their own admission) for the "pelagic fish-only" permissible take list for the event.

Yes - maybe the old Crossman spearguns or the German "Luger" has been inspiration for the Russian designer.

I didn't realize that you have such a returning annual event. That's very nice and a good way to meet other spearos.

Jégwan

Actually their pneumatic guns were mid-handle or rear biased mid-handle designs and relatively long for Russian spearguns, which they said were made from "old submarine parts". That I think was just a little joke on their part, the guns had reasonably fat tanks and would not be out of place amongst the guns we use. There used to be photos on the Web of the event, so the guns may still be available for viewing in an archive section. I will have to look.

Well I have searched the back issues of IF&SN, but they are not in publishing order and I have not found the right copy yet with the photo that I am looking for of the Russian guy with his "home-made" pneumatic speargun that he bought with him to the "Bluewater Classic" one year. Probably the last copy I find will have the photo in it! I have every issue since it first started, a magazine devoted to spearfishing which every other dive magazine had dropped like a hot rock before it appeared literally "out of the blue".

Reactions: Jegwan
Please have someone manual-Technisub Grinta???I'm from Czech Republic.thank you very much for your help and advice
;)

What aspect of the "Grinta" do you need the manual for as maybe someone here can give you the info?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT