• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The best freedive watch?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Mosquito needs repair

Jon/Eric

I've bragged on this forum about how great my Mosquito has been, and NOW it needs to be repaired. From the Aqualung website I found an authorized Suunto repair center called "Underseas Scuba Center" in Illinois. Is this who you guys dealt with for the work done on your Suunto computers. (If not, would you mind letting me know who you did use?)

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

For what it's worth, a couple of weeks ago my one-year-old Suunto Mosquito abruptly went belly up. It was under the impression that the interior of my home was under 2 ATA pressure. (Fortunately the problem developed shortly after I had transferred dive data from personal-best constant ballast dives a few days before.)

I took it back to the local dive shop I bought it from, which sent it in to Seaquest (which I'm given to understand is the U.S. distributor), which elected to replace it with a new one. Meanwhile I thought it'd be a good idea to get a D3 as a backup ...

Thanks Frank. I think the safest thing to do is just take the Mosquito back to my dive shop here and let them return it.

By the way, how long did it take for you to receive the replacement? Same question for you Jon.

Thanks,
Charlie

I took my watch to my local dive shop to send back to Aqualung. I ended up getting my watch(es) back within less than 3 weeks- maybe even two.

Jon

That sounds good to me. I thought I could speed things up by sending it myself, but my shop probably has a little more pull to get things done a little quicker.

Thanks to you both for the help,

Charlie

Turnaround time

To answer Charlie's question ... I was pleasantly shocked at the turnaround time on my Mosquito warranty service. I took it to the local dive shop on Tuesday, May 6, and got a call three days later that the replacement watch from Seaquest was in. The store quoted me a typical turnaround "up to 10 days," so I may have gotten lucky in hitting the schedule at the right time.

Stinger battery replacement

I have used my stinger mainly for scuba. The shop where I bought it told me it would last around 100 45 min dives. Before I lived in the Philippines and had to send it to Singapore for battery replacement. As soon as I passed 50 dives I changed the battery if I or any of my friends passed Singapore. The shop could do the battery change overnight.

I guess the advice is to try to figure out how long your battery lasts and try to plan for the change in advance. Does anyone have any data on how long the battery will last for freediving?

Battery life

"Does anyone have any data on how long the battery will last for freediving?"

It seems to be highly dependent on your dive rate. My Mosquito began to register in the lower battery-strength range after about a year of use during which I made 839 dives in 57 dive sessions for 2 hrs 11 minutes total submerged apnea time. (Handy to provide those stats.)

On the other hand, I had a Suunto Cobra (air-integrated scuba computer, since sold) which sat in the closet for three years, hardly ever used, and it still registered close to full strength.

Last edited:
An Update

I went by the dive shop today with my Mosquito and ended up on the phone with Todd in Tech Support. Had a nice conversation with him about the problem with my computer and he seemed to think there would be no problem with just replacing it.

He also is aware of the problems with the other instruments and let me know that some changes have been/are being made to them to eliminate said problems, but externally the changes are hardly noticeable.

Now, I just cross my fingers and hope I'll have similar luck as you guys with your service. :)

Good luck and safe diving,

Charlie

It's Back

Well, my Mosquito was returned to the dive shop by Wed. 5/28. Actually a new watch was sent and the graphics on the face are slightly different so I guess Suunto has made some changes to address the problems. Total turnaround time was less than 2 weeks and that includes a holiday. Safe to say I'm giving another strong vote to Suunto instruments as the best.

Safe diving,

Charlie

SUUNTO STINGER/MOSQ/D3

Hola,
First off, i use a stinger. It rocks. Verrily.
Alarm perfectly audible. Exactly the same as a Mosquito
but with a sexier metal case etc etc etc

Secondly, just wanted to correct an ikkle mistake people
are making regarding the 2/4/10 sec interval recording time.

It is NOT the case that you may have to "hang around" at
a certain depth for a few seconds in order for the Suunto
to log it. The 2 second interval refers to how often the suunto
stores data and not when it collects data.

If you freedive to 42.3m even for just the tinest
fraction of a second, 42.3m will be shown as your max depth.

The interval you have chosen to 'record' in, be it 2 sec or
10 sec will show the max depth you reached during that
interval. See the difference?

ok ta ta for now

Re: well what has an audiable alarm???

gitano said:
that is a huge disappointment(the inaudiability)! this seems to be a common theme for the freediving watch market. both my tech scuba computers have the loudest alarms for gas switching and many other functions, so loud that they are anoying. i prefer to dive safe and the alarms are important to me while freediving.

please tell me more about the mosquito and its functions!

p.s. i oten wear a 7mm hood in this cold water here.

in a swimming pool with a swimming suit I can hear the alarm of my D3...

in the sea with a 5 mm hood I can't...

I was wondering what would be the best freediving watch? Some say that Casio has a good model and some say Suunto. If you have experience or more watches to add to the "Ultimate freedive watch" plz tell us.

//Casi
Check the Aeris F11. It's designed by freedivers for free divers. The price range is the same as D3 !

well what has an audiable alarm???

that is a huge disappointment(the inaudiability)! this seems to be a common theme for the freediving watch market. both my tech scuba computers have the loudest alarms for gas switching and many other functions, so loud that they are anoying. i prefer to dive safe and the alarms are important to me while freediving.

please tell me more about the mosquito and its functions!

p.s. i oten wear a 7mm hood in this cold water here.
I agree that this is really dissappointing. And by the way I also usually wear a 7mm hood.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT